Tao of a pit bull

MartialArtHeart

Green Belt
Reaction score
There are many lessons to be learned from animals, in my opinion. They are so simple... and yet they are able to feel so deeply.

I am the proud owner of a small labrador/german shorthaired and two gigantic pit bulls. Misty, the lab, is a sweet and intelligent little runt whom I love to death. Lance and Starley Grace are two pit bulls that I found at the humane society as puppies. Lance is huge and looks much like a shar-pei, while Starley remains true to her pit bull stockiness.

There is a certain mystique to owning such a hated breed. They are known for being dog aggressive... attacking children... turning on their owners... and being ring fighters.

My dogs will never, ever back down from a fight. I did not raise chickens, I raised dogs. Does that make them dog aggressive? Absolutely not! They are far surpassed by the attack-yorkie down the street, or the poor lab mutt that sits forgotten in the yard, or the inbred puppy mill dog that has as stable and dependable a temperament as Hannibal Lecter.

Now the thing with children... wow, couldn't be further from the truth. Unfamiliar children regularly tackle-hug Lance, and he acts like it's the greatest thing in the world. And turning on the owners? Pit bulls are known for their loyalty; I had problems when they were puppies of Starley growling at me when she had a bone. Here's the problem: people don't make themselves dominant. I tackled her and took the bone every time, and she's never made an aggressive move toward me, no matter what I do to her. :)

And ring fighters: these dogs are tough! They have more determination than any other animals I've come across, and that tenacity is what makes them great. Dog fighting is an abomination; a cruel practice that takes advantage of this dog's will to win.

The lesson I was taught today by my pit was that of determination. I strapped on my roller blades, put on her harness, and let her pull me for as far as she could. Starley ran on and on, and when she finally tired, that's when we turned around. Tired as she was, she kept running. And when she heard my voice calling to her, she ran all the more. I call it determination because I can guarantee you, because I know, that any other dog would lag and collapse. It schooled me... who says that owners teach their dogs? When I get tired in karate classes, when I want to stop kicking full force, stop sparring with all my heart... that's when I'll think of her running. Animals are wonderful creatures... there's a lesson to be learned from each and every one, in my humble opinion.

Note: This is not to say that there aren't vicious pits out there... but then again, there are vicious labs, cats, and little girls. The ones that are vicious are the result of cruel and callous treatment and inbreeding by humans.

I suppose my point in writing this is to point out how our preconceptions are not only wrong, they blind us to the truth. Most people who do not know what my dogs are walk up to them, children run, to pet them. And if they ask, I never hesitate to tell them that the dog wagging its tail below them is a pit bull. In fact, I'm proud of it. They are happy goofballs that love people, and that's how it should be. What do you think? Are people blinded by their preconceptions? Any stories you would like to share? Any examples of what you have learned from animals?

qi-tah

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I totally get where yr coming from with the bull terrier thing... my mum inherited my younger sister's bull terrier when she moved out of home and couldn't take her with her. Kleo had the bullie barrel chest, massive jaws and slitted eyes, and mum often had ppl asking if she was safe to be let off lead in the dog park... truth was, Kleo was a lush and a total wuss! The thing she loved was jumping; she'd take on any obstacle for the hell of it.. fallen trees, play equipment, fences (she regulaly cleared the 1.7M fence to our garage) etc. and in the 11 years Mum had her, she never once snapped at another dog or a child. I still miss her... RIP Kleo, who taught me all about the joy of bounding.

OP
MartialArtHeart

MartialArtHeart

Green Belt
Reaction score
lol, sounds like a typical bully. A clown at heart, who can teach us the simple joy of life. Thanks for sharing!

Latest Discussions