Animal Abuse?

AceHBK

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I agree dogs can have bad days. You try to minimize those days worn solid foundation. But what I see is a dog with high ball drive who has outing issues. Outing where here that can cause a court case.

If he can't or that dog then he needs a back up...e-collar.

OP
Tgace

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Y'all can argue "best practices" if ya want, but the main point is that this handler has been suspended and all sorts of people with zero K9 experience are saying stuff like "fire him".."charge him with assaulting an officer"...and worse. While it may be arguable that his approach could have been better I don't believe what's happening to this cop is warranted.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Y'all can argue "best practices" if ya want, but the main point is that this handler has been suspended and all sorts of people with zero K9 experience are saying stuff like "fire him".."charge him with assaulting an officer"...and worse. While it may be arguable that his approach could have been better I don't believe what's happening to this cop is warranted.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

I'm far from a K9 expert. But I don't see anything horrible here; it doesn't look pretty, and it may not be "best practice". It may or may not be consistent with the handler's training and the policies of the agency. I don't know; I'm not privy to them.

But the handler's been placed on some sort of suspension or imposed leave. His command staff has come out in public, damning him. The investigation is probably far from complete -- but his bosses have thrown him under the bus. The suspension/leave during an investigation is reasonable and sometimes required. The commentary was not; "we are reviewing the incident to see if what the camera captured was within our policy and the handler's training, and whether we need to review our policies and training." Much better, and doesn't throw anyone under the bus.

I'm certainly glad I don't work for them.

donnaTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
can't believe that they're gunna fire him for that --- the guys in charge obviously don't know what they're doing and quite frankly i wouldn't want to be involved with that PD either.

that video clip was rough play at worst for a job well done - nothing more and nothing less. i've got a high drive pure bred border collie (see avatar) and i've corrected him this way many a time - some people think that i'm being cruel until they see how well behaved / mannered and quiet he really is.

my dogs an alpha and they need "knocking down" a peg or three now and again just to prove that you rule and not them. it's the pack hierarchy you come first then it's them and they understand perfectly what's going on. all the comments about abuse come from people that have no idea wtf is actually happening - if the handler didn't do that then there would come a point where the dog wasn't just unsafe it would be a liability to everyone. the dog needs to know where it stands and the structures that are in place and the rules of the job / game etc.......

hate people that call this abuse - the dog is well cared for / fed / housed / trained (which is more than i can say for some) and knows the rules cos it was raised in a structured programme.

these so called do-gooders need to get a life..........

just my opinion

donna