An open challenge

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
Perhaps someone could come up with some ground kata? Doesn't seem outside the realm of possibility...

They exist. For example, Judo has Katame no Kata which is all ground grappling moves. Dog Style Kung Fu isn't all ground grappling, but it's almost all ground fighting and has forms. Harimau Silat has a lot of exercises that involve moving from one ground position to another.

ChingChuan

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Also, the jurus (forms) of the second level of Pencak Silat Setia Hati are supposed to be ground work... (but I don't know them - they're only known to the people that were initiated in Indonesia or something).
Well, when thinking about it - I know a few jurus that are for situations in which you are on the ground and someone else is attacking you from a standing positions, or in which you deliberately take the fight to the ground. (for anyone who is familiar with them - 12, 14, 26, 30 and 36) Actually, they only contain certain movements that take it to the ground - in the jurus, you get up after the opponent is taken care of, but you could easily continue on the ground.

Allenjp said:
turning WITH SOMEONE MOUNTED ON YOU, is a very bad idea
But it's never a bad idea to actually try doing a jurus while lying on the ground and discovering that it really doesn't work that way ;). I tried it today and indeed, it doesn't work because my opponent was way too heavy and he had way too many openings...
But it does work when you're lying down and someone else is standing over you and trying to kick you.

So... the best way to figure this out is by trying it. Quite funny to do, actually.

allenjp

Brown Belt
Reaction score
The only exception I can think of being the bridge. But there you're turning while he's tied to you.

Even during a bridge, he's only going over with you if you have a hold of somethin', now there is a hip sweep where you can turn someone over with the force of your hips IF they are in your guard, but good luck if he resists it...

allenjp

Brown Belt
Reaction score
They exist. For example, Judo has Katame no Kata which is all ground grappling moves. Dog Style Kung Fu isn't all ground grappling, but it's almost all ground fighting and has forms. Harimau Silat has a lot of exercises that involve moving from one ground position to another.

I didn't know that, color me informed...we have a Judo black belt, and also a Judo brown belt in our BJJ class, maybe I'll learn some from them...

Latest Discussions