Amatsu Tatara says hello

Amatsu Tatara

White Belt
Reaction score
Cascade mountain range Oregon, Amatsu Tatara
Hello
I have been involved in the martial arts for 40 years. I started out in Chinese kenpo with Rod Martin, larry Capps, and became a 3 dan under Ed Parker. I studied Judo in the early sixties and got my Shodan but everyone had bull necks but me, ouch. I lived in the San Francisco bay area for years and studied Praying Mantis under Paul Eng who is now in Campbell, California.
Over the years I opened Dojo in California, Arizona, and Montana. When I had played the sense song through and grown tired of its theme I stopped the tournament trip and began teaching kick boxing some of my fighters appeared on ESPN (under the old PKA).This was the late 80s early 90s, it is also when I noticed that tournaments had turned into games of tag and that there were an awful lot of martial art masters half my age, hmmm. By this time I had closed or sold all my Dojo and was teaching privatly. I began to close the circle content to hone my knowledge with solo practice. Now I am down from the mountain and looking to find out what goes on in mind of martail artists these days, wondering if I can contribute.

Thanks for reading this

OP
A

Amatsu Tatara

White Belt
Reaction score
Cascade mountain range Oregon, Amatsu Tatara
Hello
Ever wonder how to make your polished technique really shine? Back in 1978 I took students from my Montana dojo out during the winter to practice thier techniques on wet frozen ice covered ground. Make the ground rough, or wet, slanted, whatever just take away the stable base you were trained on. The thought behind this is that if you can perform a good technique on unstable ground then on the street, tournament, or dojo your technique will shine with power and speed.

Hawke

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Greetings Kit,

Welcome to MT. You certainly have a lot of years under your belt. Mike Pick in his younger years also went up to the mountains to sort things out.

I knew a MA that did training in slippery mud to polish his style. Looking forward to reading your posts.

Cheers.

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
4 posts and you already have a lot to say, can't wait for more. Welcome aboard and good luck posting.:)

Skip Cooper

Purple Belt
Reaction score
:asian: Welcome to MT!

I feel fortunate to have you among us. I am looking forward to your submissions.

Joe Divola

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Welcome to MT, 40 years of MA, wow I haven't even been alive that long. I hope that someday I can say that :)

Latest Discussions