Am I too old to do martial arts?

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I turned 30 today. Is it time to hang up my hat?

I'll give you a more serious answer...

No, with a few "buts"

Most of the guys fighting in the UFC are older then you. So you are not too old.

However, at 30 starting some of the more... acrobatic / theatrical styles might be tricky.

Different programs tend to be better suited to different age groups, just find something that works for you.

PiedmontChun

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I started training around 30, am 35 now. My only regret is not doing it earlier or making excuses for not training more while I really had opportunity to, since it really is harder now with more little kids underfoot. Plus, those Judo breakfalls would have been nicer to learn in my 20s:)

My BJJ coach started well into his 40's, is now a purple belt at 53 and competes a lot.

Hanshi

Blue Belt
Reaction score
There are so many reasons people train in the martial arts that virtually no age class can be dismissed. I know many in their 70s who either are enrolled in lessons or who are instructors in their own right. Fitness is just ONE good reason.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Indeed it is! Hang up your hat, tuck your shoes under the bench, change out into your gi and get your butt on the mats. :)

Seriously, I was 29 when I started training. Took a long hiatus when I was 36 for health reasons - at the rank of brown belt/assistant instructor, so THIS close to black belt. Came back to training at white belt at 40 and started completely over. Did my first mud run at 39. Reinvented myself as a writer-translator at 38. Got laid off from a job of 14 years at the age of 40 and had to rebuild my career from scratch.

Honestly, as far as I'm concerned, I am not old - I am timeless. Besides, people live to 100 more and more these days, and quality of life is improving, so I figure I have another 5-6 decades before I croak. Just getting started. And so are you. :)

Outstanding.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'll give you a more serious answer...

No, with a few "buts"

Most of the guys fighting in the UFC are older then you. So you are not too old.

However, at 30 starting some of the more... acrobatic / theatrical styles might be tricky.

Different programs tend to be better suited to different age groups, just find something that works for you.

I started capoeria at 35.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
So jealous. Capoeria is so beautiful - like a dance. But I have some skeletal issues that I think would prevent me from bouncing around like that. Too bad - I think I would enjoy it.

It is a really interesting art conceptually. As a lot of the mechanics are very different.

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well yes. It is a striking art :p
Haa-haa...

But seriously, it looked good on Luke Goss as Prince Nuada in Hellboy and the Golden Army and it looked REALLY good on Cate Blanchett as Hella in Thor: Raganarok. I realize that movie training is not the same as real fighting ability. But it still looked good.

frank raud

Master of Arts
Reaction score
My favourite "older" martial artist I get to train with once or twice a year. He's ninety seven and still gets on the mats. Might be slower than he once was, but believe me, when he demonstrates kesa-gatame on you, you are not getting out!

Not sure how many here can read French, but you could always just look at the pictures, you will be impressed Un judoka de 92 ans!

oldwarrior

Green Belt
Reaction score
To old ...not at all but as quite a few have said it all depends on what "Art" you wish to study etc.
What I would ask yourself is why do you wish to undertake the study ...what are your own reasons...If you think you are to old then why do you think that? Is it because you wish to compete? ...Is it because you feel at your age that you will not obtain a high enough ranking (grade) as if in my opinion you cannot answer those to yourself honestly then no one else can ...We can all say yes you are or no you are not but only you can truly answer it ...

Ryan_

Green Belt
Reaction score
I already replied but...
Chuck Norris - 78 years old.
Royce Gracie - 51 years old
Rorion Gracie - 66 year old
Masaaki Hatsumi - 86 years old

so at 30, you have a long time to go yet.

Latest Discussions