Ali can never be the greatest?

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Best and greatest aren't the same thing. Best is inside the ring; greatest is a combination of inside and outside the ring.

The greatest ones (Michael Jordan, Muhammad Ali, Bruce Lee, etc.) are household names. They're even recognized by people who know next to nothing about their sport. They bring positive attention to their sport and inspire people.

Most (if not all) experts claim Ali was the greatest. And many of them claim there are better boxers out there.

Barry Bonds is considered by many experts to be the best baseball player ever (even before his steroid days). Not a single expert in their right mind would argue he's the greatest (even if he retired before his steroid use).

The best or greatest of all time doesn't mean the best or greatest that will ever be; it simply means the best or greatest so far. And the best doesn't necessarily mean someone who'll beat everybody; it means someone who's capable of beating more people than anyone else.

All IMO.

DaveB

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
RIP Muhammad Ali - the only boxer to hit as.hard out of the ring as he did inside it.

The Greatest of all time.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I imagine we could debate boxing skills or fighting power until the cows come home. But to the younger fighters here, I sincerely hope you all live to be a hundred. And when you are a hundred years old I don't think you'll have ever seen such an ado made by the passing of any other boxer.