Aikido.. The reality?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shatteredzen

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Only if you think of things as good and bad.

I have the correct definition. I'm not talking about or referring to "Flow state" Zen has multiple definitions. The feeling of elation from exercise is also not what I'm talking about.
None of the Japanese budo teach zen, yet you have referred to it multiple times, going so far as to call them "zen schools".

OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Not really that. Ask a ballet club how many people have avoided a fight.

And you would probably get the same result as highly trained martial artists.
Probably. I'll have Google Ballet Fights. Google knows everything lol

B

OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Generally speaking, an enraged attacker is going to have a higher pain threshold due to the endorphins released by that aggression. I know this seems counterintuitive for TMA, but that's why I don't mind matching that aggression. If I'm feeling cautious, I'm probably not going to be able to take as much punishment.
Enraged people make alot of mistakes. Start breaking functional stuff and it won't make any difference if they have a high pain threshold. A broken leg doesn't care how we feel.

Urban Trekker

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Enraged people make alot of mistakes. Start breaking functional stuff and it won't make any difference if they have a high pain threshold. A broken leg doesn't care how we feel.
I said matching their aggression, not enragement.

Think of it like this: it's the summer, and you're going to an outdoor swimming pool. You can be apprehensive about the water being cold and keep dipping your feet in until you feel that you're ready. Or you can just say to screw all that and have the mindset that you're just gonna jump right into the water. If you do the latter, you're going to adjust to the temperature of the water much more easily.

It all goes down to the old saying "You've gotta bring *** to get ***."

Last edited:

jayoliver00

Black Belt
Reaction score
I think the ruleset at these events is flexible enough for you to try it.

I've seen many Dog Bros videos and that's exactly what happened. When someone with decent MMA skilled wanted, they dropped the sticks and resorted to their MMA skills to hurt the other guy more than the sticks could, forcing submission or giving up.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I've seen many Dog Bros videos and that's exactly what happened. When someone with decent MMA skilled wanted, they dropped the sticks and resorted to their MMA skills to hurt the other guy more than the sticks could, forcing submission or giving up.
So, then, what's your point? You said that the Dog Brothers were less "brutal" than MMA. I said that there's nothing in the Dog Brothers rules that says you can't use MMA techniques in their matches. Now you're saying that's exactly what happens. Making me dizzy.

OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
None of the Japanese budo teach zen, yet you have referred to it multiple times, going so far as to call them "zen schools".
They don't teach how to be nice either but I'm sure they try to obtain it.

jayoliver00

Black Belt
Reaction score
So, then, what's your point? You said that the Dog Brothers were less "brutal" than MMA. I said that there's nothing in the Dog Brothers rules that says you can't use MMA techniques in their matches. Now you're saying that's exactly what happens. Making me dizzy.

You said, "I think the ruleset at these events is flexible enough for you to try it."

Your comment implied that you didn't know that MMA was tried already within the Dog Bros. org. I corrected you. You made yourself dizzy.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
You said, "I think the ruleset at these events is flexible enough for you to try it."

Your comment implied that you didn't know that MMA was tried already within the Dog Bros. org. I corrected you. You made yourself dizzy.
I was trying to be polite. To be more direct, what I was actually saying is, there is nothing in the rules prohibiting MMA techniques from being used. So, once again, what's your point? You said MMA is more brutal, but now acknowledge that there's nothing in the dog brothers rule set that prohibits any MMA technique.

Edit: Just to clarify, you're using ninja logic. =

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I think you see this in all the ki-masters and phonies in TMAs. People like George Dillman who were arrogant enough to believe that he could trick people with his ki-magic BS, or simply believed he could actually do stuff like that is the height of arrogance. You also see it with the cult-like behavior that you see within some TMA circles. Rokas discussed that quite a bit in one of his videos.

Speaking of Rokas, he also talked about how he expected to be laughed at and taunted by the MMA community after he got embarrassed in that Aikido vs MMA video, but he was surprised at how many in that community applauded him and respected him for stepping to the plate and putting his art to the test. On the other hand, he said he was largely attacked and derided by the Aikido community at large who thought he was an idiot for using Aikido in a MMA sparring test. I will say that outside of some very rare instances, the Bjj community is one of the nicest and welcoming martial art communities I've ever experienced. There's a real down to earth feel to it, starting from calling your instructor by their first name, and everyone's actual skill being laid out in the open for all to see.

It's rather easy to smash egos in Bjj when you're a big burly wrestler getting submitted by a skinny teenager. The "mind and spirit" then enters the equation, and you wonder if you want to continue getting your ego smashed by continuing training, or if you want to pack up your ego and leave. Many choose the latter.
You know what I just don’t get about Dillman? He didn’t have to go that BS route, he really didn’t. He has a ton of experience, a ton of knowledge and he’s a salesman.

He could have been WAY more successful and made way more money if he just taught Martial Arts instead of his cosmic oatmeal cookie bs stuff.

Never could figure out why he went that route. Just doesn’t make any sense.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I think Steve's point was that MMA moves are allowed within Dog Brothers ruleset, so anything MMA is kinda part of DB competition. Just depends whether anyone brings that or not, and what the individual competitors want to focus on.

jayoliver00

Black Belt
Reaction score
I was trying to be polite. To be more direct, what I was actually saying is, there is nothing in the rules prohibiting MMA techniques from being used. So, once again, what's your point? You said MMA is more brutal, but now acknowledge that there's nothing in the dog brothers rule set that prohibits any MMA technique.

Edit: Just to clarify, you're using ninja logic. =

Well your first post suggested that I try MMA in these Dog Bros events; which implies that you didn't know that there were people who already did just that by dropping their sticks and went MMA striking & submissions, leading to more brutality and violence than the weapons (resulting in tap outs).

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Well your first post suggested that I try MMA in these Dog Bros events; which implies that you didn't know that there were people who already did just that by dropping their sticks and went MMA striking & submissions, leading to more brutality and violence than the weapons (resulting in tap outs).
Wow. I sorry I was so hard to understand. I'll be more direct in the future. I still don't know what your point is. I encourage you to just forego sticks and see how you do. We seem to agree that nothing's keeping you from doing that. Get back to us on how well it works.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
You know what I just don’t get about Dillman? He didn’t have to go that BS route, he really didn’t. He has a ton of experience, a ton of knowledge and he’s a salesman.

He could have been WAY more successful and made way more money if he just taught Martial Arts instead of his cosmic oatmeal cookie bs stuff.

Never could figure out why he went that route. Just doesn’t make any sense.

He probably believed it.

Plenty do.

jayoliver00

Black Belt
Reaction score
Wow. I sorry I was so hard to understand. I'll be more direct in the future. I still don't know what your point is. I encourage you to just forego sticks and see how you do. We seem to agree that nothing's keeping you from doing that. Get back to us on how well it works.

I just explained it to you twice already that this has happened a few times in these Dog Bros. meet and with success (where MMA striking/submission won vs. those wielding the weapons allowed). This is the 3rd time now, so you're welcome (again). LOL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions