aikido the harmony way?

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
I want to aks a few things about aikido. Aikido is the armony way I've been told, in aikido there is no fight, in akido all is goodness and aikido is a way of living, blending with the people and the sorroundings even nature in a peacefull way but then... what hapen with the people who studies aikido just for the martial art part? Are these people wrong?

El Manny

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
what hapen with the people who studies aikido just for the martial art part? Are these people wrong?

El Manny

No.

I tend to believe most go to train martial arts, the rest is there if you want it, but then harmonizing with the opponent is a way to apply the martial arts of it

pgsmith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
"The way of harmony" refers to the name and the kanji used to get there ... 合気道 The kanji are 'fit/join', 'spirit/mood', and 'journey/course', so it translates as "the way lf harmony". There are now a number of different branches of aikido, and they all have their own ideals. However aikido itself, as created by Ueshiba sensei, depends on blending with your opponent and using their energy to subdue them. Harmonizing (physically) with your opponent is central to proper aikido, no matter which branch you end up studying.

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
The tone is set by the school head and this varies even within organizations. You can definitely find aikido dojo that have a more martial feel to their practice. They are not all that rare.

Chris Li

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
"The way of harmony" refers to the name and the kanji used to get there ... 合気道 The kanji are 'fit/join', 'spirit/mood', and 'journey/course', so it translates as "the way lf harmony". There are now a number of different branches of aikido, and they all have their own ideals. However aikido itself, as created by Ueshiba sensei, depends on blending with your opponent and using their energy to subdue them. Harmonizing (physically) with your opponent is central to proper aikido, no matter which branch you end up studying.

"The way of harmony" is a common translation, but if you ask me it's really a common mis-translation. 合 is used in some compounds that mean "harmony", but it doesn't itself mean harmony. I wrote a bit about that here.

Here's what Koichi Tohei had to say about harmonizing with the opponent:

二代道主は、合氣道を「人の気に合わせるの道」と解釈していた。しかし私にしてみれば、合氣道とは「心身を統一して天地と一体になる。すなわち天地の気に合わす道」なのである。

“The second Doshu interpreted Aikido as “the Way of fitting in with another person’s Ki”. However, it seems to me that Aikido is “Uniting body and mind and becoming one with heaven and earth. Specifically, the Way of fitting together the Ki of heaven and earth.”.”
Actually, he's correct - Morihei Ueshiba most often discusses Aiki as a process that happens within oneself, not between oneself and the other person.

Best,

Chris

TSDTexan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
"The way of harmony" is a common translation, but if you ask me it's really a common mis-translation. 合 is used in some compounds that mean "harmony", but it doesn't itself mean harmony. I wrote a bit about that here.

Here's what Koichi Tohei had to say about harmonizing with the opponent:

二代道主は、合氣道を「人の気に合わせるの道」と解釈していた。しかし私にしてみれば、合氣道とは「心身を統一して天地と一体になる。すなわち天地の気に合わす道」なのである。

“The second Doshu interpreted Aikido as “the Way of fitting in with another person’s Ki”. However, it seems to me that Aikido is “Uniting body and mind and becoming one with heaven and earth. Specifically, the Way of fitting together the Ki of heaven and earth.”.”
Actually, he's correct - Morihei Ueshiba most often discusses Aiki as a process that happens within oneself, not between oneself and the other person.

Best,

Chris

Wait a second.... your Christopher Li!!!!!
That Chris?

Thats great!

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
Thanks for the explanations and link to the article. Informative.

TSDTexan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Well, I think it's great, but I have a hard time convincing my wife... :)

Best,

Chris
I have spent a lot of time reading posts on your site. And meditating upon what I have read. Good stuff.

pgsmith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Very cool! Thanks for the insight Chris.
I discontinued my aikido training many years ago, so my knowledge is only superficial at best. It's much better to hear from individuals with the in-depth knowledge that comes from decades of study.

Cheers,

JP3

Master Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No.

I tend to believe most go to train martial arts, the rest is there if you want it, but then harmonizing with the opponent is a way to apply the martial arts of it
Agreed. The thing is, you go in to just train martial arts and you end up being brainwashed, wearing robes, becoming Buddhist and wearing flowery robes but not smelling flowery.

Nah... If you want to just train, you can just train. However, the mindset of the techniques will eventually have an effect on your outlook. It is interesting.

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Agreed. The thing is, you go in to just train martial arts and you end up being brainwashed, wearing robes, becoming Buddhist and wearing flowery robes but not smelling flowery.

Nah... If you want to just train, you can just train. However, the mindset of the techniques will eventually have an effect on your outlook. It is interesting.
What do you think a person should look out for to avoid being brainwashed into a robe-wearing martial art mentality?

JP3

Master Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What do you think a person should look out for to avoid being brainwashed into a robe-wearing martial art mentality?
Pretty much, any school, club or dojo where any instructor says anything in the same area of meaning as "Our way is the best way. Truly it is the only way to true [insert fantasy word here]." Fantasy word could be enlightenment, Ki, Spirit, Mastery whatever. I don't have a problem with the fantasy words, it is the "only way" thing that makes my teeth hurt.

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Pretty much, any school, club or dojo where any instructor says anything in the same area of meaning as "Our way is the best way. Truly it is the only way to true [insert fantasy word here]." Fantasy word could be enlightenment, Ki, Spirit, Mastery whatever. I don't have a problem with the fantasy words, it is the "only way" thing that makes my teeth hurt.
I get you.. tho why it make your teeth hurt when they are only tickling each other with fantasy words like enlightenment, Ki, Spirit, Mastery and whatever? Is not like cosplayers or Comic-con where is just everybody enjoy their thing? It make your teeth hurt too?? there is a difference?? thank you x

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I get you.. tho why it make your teeth hurt when they are only tickling each other with fantasy words like enlightenment, Ki, Spirit, Mastery and whatever? Is not like cosplayers or Comic-con where is just everybody enjoy their thing? It make your teeth hurt too?? there is a difference?? thank you x

Cosplayers hopefully understand it is an escape from reality. Not reality itself.

Otherwise they are called cults.

The other one for me is when people compete to become more enlightened than the other guy.

Which i think is missing the point.

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Cosplayers hopefully understand it is an escape from reality. Not reality itself.

Otherwise they are called cults.

The other one for me is when people compete to become more enlightened than the other guy.

Which i think is missing the point.
Yes is cult as commonly we may understand it.. still there are various definition of cult under which what you might class as reality can also be defined.. like peculiar reverence or deference to particular person (celebrity, president, sports team) or fanatical or indoctrinated admiration to a particular thing (say a martial art for example) yes adherance to orthodoxy and doctrine.. herd mentality.. is intransigence of the mind.. cults cults everywhere what isagirl to do :p

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yes is cult as commonly we may understand it.. still there are various definition of cult under which what you might class as reality can also be defined.. like peculiar reverence or deference to particular person (celebrity, president, sports team) or fanatical or indoctrinated admiration to a particular thing (say a martial art for example) yes adherance to orthodoxy and doctrine.. herd mentality.. is intransigence of the mind.. cults cults everywhere what isagirl to do :p

The obvious answer is not to follow the herd. But it isn't really correct as there are so many people not following the herd they create their own.

The secret is not develop a mind set that lets you think outside the box.

But realising there is no box.

Latest Discussions