Aikido has no reason to prove itself!

Mider

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Yes, there is a spotlight. That's why this thread, and many others like it, exists here on MT. That's also why this discussion has existed long before MT, and is as old as aikido itself.

The denial that aikidokas live in never ceases to amaze me.
This isn’t a spot light...it’s a thread online

again...I said it should be cross trained

Mider

Brown Belt
Reaction score
We've certainly seen it fail, many times against BJJ in sparring matches all over YouTube. I mean, striking arts have a valid excuse for losing to BJJ: in a sparring session, a grappler can go full-on without injuring the sparring partner, but the striker can't do the same. Aikido guys don't have that excuse.
yes we’ve seen it fail and I’ve seen guys make it work.

do you guys not read when I say...it should be cross trained etc?

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I think it would best when cross trained with stuff like a striking art and BJJ etc.
I fully agree with your logic of cross training. You say that it's a good idea for an Aikido guy to cross train a striking art and BJJ. My question is why it's a good idea for a boxer (or a BJJ guy) to cross train Aikido instead of Judo, or wrestling?

What's missing in Judo or wrestling that one can only get from Aikido training?

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Untrained average Joe has 50% chance against other untrained average Johny. Untrained average Joe with the fork has more than 50%. Agressive average Joe with fork has even more. Why anybody should learn MA? Fighting untrained people is easy. The true combat value of any Martial Art we see only if the adepts are repetably able to deal with oponents more dangerous than average Joe.
For a lot of folks, it's more about changing the percentages. If an average Joe has a 50% chance against another average Joe, then with training he can make that more like 80%. For many of us, that's the kind of progression we're considering first.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I fully agree with your logic of cross training. You say that it's a good idea for an Aikido guy to cross train a striking art and BJJ. My question is why it's a good idea for a boxer (or a BJJ guy) to cross train Aikido instead of Judo, or wrestling?

It depends what they want to train for.

If they want to improve their chances in a BJJ competition, I can't think of much Aikido would bring that would add insight (I think it's more likely to add to Judo, because of the stand-up focus). Someone with more experience in it might have more to add.

If they want to improve their chances in a boxing competition, I can't really think of anything Aikido would add.

But if they want to learn a different way of grappling or a different approach to body mechanics, because that would be interesting to them, anyone could enjoy Aikido trained apropriately.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
But if they want to learn a different way of grappling or a different approach to body mechanics, because that would be interesting to them, anyone could enjoy Aikido trained apropriately.
A: Why do you like the long fist system?
B: Because it helps me to build up strong foundation.

A: Why do you like the Baji system?
C: Because it helps me to build up power generation.

A: Why do you like the praying mantis system?
D: Because it helps me to build up speed generation.

A: Why do you like the Chinese wrestling system?
E: Because it helps me to build up throwing skill.

A: Why do you like Aikido?
F: Because it's different, more interest, and more fun.

I will expect similar answer from F as from B, C, D, and E.

Last edited:

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Why should we be able to? If I want to find out more about Aikido, I go to an Aikido school. I don't think they owe me any more than that.

It is the wrong way to find out. You could go to a school and not know if it works.

People train for twenty years and not know if it works.

Hence Rokus.

BrendanF

Purple Belt
Reaction score
It is the wrong way to find out. You could go to a school and not know if it works.

Hence Rokus.

Would you say the same thing about kendo?

Mider

Brown Belt
Reaction score

Idk, I don’t know, I just know that in aikido there’s things that don’t focus on strength, i don’t train it, honestly I’d love training all of those if I could

Mider

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Why should we be able to? If I want to find out more about Aikido, I go to an Aikido school. I don't think they owe me any more than that.
YouTube is also not the best place to learn the truth

i mean sure they’ll show an aikido guy getting beat up by an mma guy, my reaction is REALLY YA THINK?! then the critics will focus on that

yet they ignore guys who use it as guards, bouncers etc

Mider

Brown Belt
Reaction score
It depends what they want to train for.

If they want to improve their chances in a BJJ competition, I can't think of much Aikido would bring that would add insight (I think it's more likely to add to Judo, because of the stand-up focus). Someone with more experience in it might have more to add.

If they want to improve their chances in a boxing competition, I can't really think of anything Aikido would add.

Exactly, I mean you learn everything in BJJ in judo that doesn’t mean both are great

Mider

Brown Belt
Reaction score
A: Why do you like the long fist system?
B: Because it helps me to build up strong foundation.

A: Why do you like the Baji system?
C: Because it helps me to build up power generation.

A: Why do you like the praying mantis system?
D: Because it helps me to build up speed generation.

A: Why do you like the Chinese wrestling system?
E: Because it helps me to build up throwing skill.

A: Why do you like Aikido?
F: Because it's different, more interest, and more fun.

I will expect similar answer from F as from B, C, D, and E.
Because it shows you leverage, how to fight without having to use power, because if trained properly it works.

like I said Rokas couldn’t make it work...odd others who actually do deal with security situations make it work fine, but I guess that don’t count because They’re the average Joe. Lol very flawed logic

Mider

Brown Belt
Reaction score

Hence Rokus.
No ids not lol...you use you brain n go to a school n say well that wouldn’t work. Rokas also admitted he never fought when he did aikido...he’s not the best judge

Latest Discussions