Advice on training in multiple styles at once?

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I just turned 30 and I realize that my best days are probably already over when it comes to competition.
There are several threads under discussion covering this as we speak. You may want to have a read as I think you'll find them enlightening. On that note, I would completely disagree with this and attribute it to inexperience, simply because aging is always a new experience and we just don't know what to expect. Personally, the 40 year old version of myself would have mopped up the floor with the 30 year old version of myself on the mat. Your mileage may vary, but i'm willing to bet you have more left in the tank than you think. You have a long road ahead and a very rewarding one if you apply yourself...even at your advanced age. :)

Black Belt Jedi

Blue Belt
Reaction score
If you already have a black belt in Taekwondo and want to train in a different Martial Art system, take a break from Taekwondo and take both Wado-ryu Karate and Judo. You can do Karate twice a week and Judo twice a week to balance out you schedule better. If it's too much on your plate take either Karate or Judo and practice Taekwondo by yourself.

OP
S

SPX

Black Belt
Reaction score
There are several threads under discussion covering this as we speak. You may want to have a read as I think you'll find them enlightening.

I haven't run across these, but would certainly like to read some of the comments. Can you point me to a few?

On that note, I would completely disagree with this and attribute it to inexperience, simply because aging is always a new experience and we just don't know what to expect. Personally, the 40 year old version of myself would have mopped up the floor with the 30 year old version of myself on the mat. Your mileage may vary, but i'm willing to bet you have more left in the tank than you think. You have a long road ahead and a very rewarding one if you apply yourself...even at your advanced age. :)

Well that's certainly encouraging, and a little encouragement is great right now. I'm hoping to make significant progress in the first year. You usually progress faster in the early stages of doing most anything than you do in the later stages anyway.

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
So any advice?

There was a period when I was doing four styles simultaneously, plus I was heavy into lifting at the same time. For the longest time, I was doing three styles at the same time. It can be done, but the key for me was keeping them all separate in your head. When you are at the wado ryu class, think only about wado ryu. When at judo, think only judo. Comparing in your head all the different styles during class, which is natural, will create conflict and blocks which will impede learning. Keeping them separated will give you a better overall experience. I guess the phrase today would be to compartmentalize your training. And five days a week is not that much. I used to always think that no matter how much time and effort and energy I put into the martial arts, there are others who are putting in more.

OP
S

SPX

Black Belt
Reaction score
There was a period when I was doing four styles simultaneously, plus I was heavy into lifting at the same time. For the longest time, I was doing three styles at the same time. It can be done, but the key for me was keeping them all separate in your head. When you are at the wado ryu class, think only about wado ryu. When at judo, think only judo. Comparing in your head all the different styles during class, which is natural, will create conflict and blocks which will impede learning. Keeping them separated will give you a better overall experience. I guess the phrase today would be to compartmentalize your training. And five days a week is not that much. I used to always think that no matter how much time and effort and energy I put into the martial arts, there are others who are putting in more.

Thanks for the advice. Makes sense.

As for 5 days a week, when I really think about it, 5 days isn't the problem . . . 5 nights is. I'm one of those guys who likes to be at home and have my business done for the day by 7:00. If I had access to late morning or early afternoon classes then I think it would be no problem. But being out until 9 o'clock or later every night is something that I just kind of naturally reject.

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
After all, you can be the best striker in the world, but that's only half the game. If you suddenly become a white belt when you get put on your back then that could prove problematic on the street.

more like 99% of the game, if the gracies had had to do thier thing on cement, no one would have ever heard of them.... the bjj grappling hype was all a lie.

OP
S

SPX

Black Belt
Reaction score
more like 99% of the game, if the gracies had had to do thier thing on cement, no one would have ever heard of them.... the bjj grappling hype was all a lie.

Training from the guard in BJJ is a worst-case-scenario kind of thing. Even in BJJ, other positions like mount and side mount, are considered far superior, both of which are not particularly onerous for the guy on top. But far more than 1% of fights go to the ground. If that happens, you want the proper grappling acumen to either a) get on top and stay there, b) get back to your feet, or c) escape from the bottom if you find yourself in that unfortunate position.

I certainly don't believe that BJJ is the "ultimate martial art" like it's been hyped to be, but to be honest, if someone says "the bjj grappling hype was all a lie," then I'd wager that they are a bitter striking-based practitioner who still hasn't gotten over UFC 1.

Virtual Jim

White Belt
Reaction score
I think you will burn yourself out
I respectfully disagree. When I read the original post about being able to do two classes in succession in the same building, I was thinking "go for it!" One of the things I like about where I train is that I can take two one-hour classes in succession, and it's invigorating more than tiring.

OKenpo942

Purple Belt
Reaction score
My opinion? Only do one of the striking arts. Flying Crane got into why so I will not be redundant as I agree with him and with his reasons. If you are so intrigued by trying a new style, I say go with the wado and the judo. I think they would compliment one another. If you find that wado is not a good fit for you, go back to TKD. I think it is more important to become proficient in a style rather than mediocre at several.

James

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I was a bouncer off and on for about 10 years. I had to deal with multiple bad guys more than going to the ground by a LARGE margin. In fact, i can count, in 10 years the number of times we went to the ground on ONE hand. the ground isnt a major concern when dealing with untrained bad guys. It isnt bitterness, it is experience.

I had to deal with multiples
Training from the guard in BJJ is a worst-case-scenario kind of thing. Even in BJJ, other positions like mount and side mount, are considered far superior, both of which are not particularly onerous for the guy on top. But far more than 1% of fights go to the ground. If that happens, you want the proper grappling acumen to either a) get on top and stay there, b) get back to your feet, or c) escape from the bottom if you find yourself in that unfortunate position.

I certainly don't believe that BJJ is the "ultimate martial art" like it's been hyped to be, but to be honest, if someone says "the bjj grappling hype was all a lie," then I'd wager that they are a bitter striking-based practitioner who still hasn't gotten over UFC 1.

Latest Discussions