NOT another cross-training thread.

C

chaosomega

At least not on the merits of cross-training.

What I want to know... Is who cross trains in TMAs only... such as someone practicing wado-ryu karate for stand up fighting, and judo or jujutsu for the ground game. And even further, if you've competed in a MMA style tourny, or event (not neccesarily professional, of course).

Just for the record, I don't stand anywhere really on the TMA/MMA crosstraining issue... I believe that the style is (usually) irrelevant. It's the practioner that make it work.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kenpo as my base art.

BJJ for the ground game.

FMA for the weapons,locks, etc.

Never competed in a grappling or MMA tourny.

Mike

OP
C

chaosomega

MJS; when using kenpo as your standup and and BJJ for your groundwork, do you find it easy to transition from one to the other? Does kenpo have any good takedowns to aid this transition? Or BJJ for that matter?

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by chaosomega
MJS; when using kenpo as your standup and and BJJ for your groundwork, do you find it easy to transition from one to the other? Does kenpo have any good takedowns to aid this transition? Or BJJ for that matter?

Kenpo has many checks that are incorporated in the tech. This requires you to be close to the person, so yeah, you could go into a clinch rather than finish off with the strikes. As for the takedowns, yes, there are sweeps as well as checks with the legs that can cause a buckleing effect which could aid in a takedown. Alot of the takedowns in BJJ require you to already be in a clinch position. For example, off of a right punch, you could parry the hand, while moving off to the side. While doing so, your other hand is moving around the body. Once the parry is complete, you should in on the side of the person, in a bearhug from the side. From here, you can easily execute a takedown, which if done correctly, will allow you to be mounted on your opp.

Mike

Latest Discussions