addressing black belts

hungryninja

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Some people address black belts as "Mr.", "Ms./Mrs." (or Master, Grandmaster, etc.) followed by their last name, while others address them as "Sir" or "Ma'am" followed by their first name. Just curious if anyone knew how the latter designation came about. Trend set by associations, schools, individual instructors?

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Around these parts it's mr/mrs last name, sir/ma'am as substitute.
Haven't heard sir first name other than people knighted by the Queen.

WC_lun

Senior Master
Reaction score
We just call each other by our first names or nicknames. Occasionally we'll address the head instructor as sifu, but it isn't required. Respect is a given and not needed by titles in our school. If you disrespect someone, you wind up on your back side or tied in a knot. So I gotta say it is a school or organization thing.

shima

K3NPO
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Our school owners are MP and P, which stands for Master Professor and Professor. Our black belts at the school are Mr/Ms/Mrs with last name.

At my previous school the only person to be referred to by title was the instructor and we called her either Kwanjang or Miss Debbie

And at my first school our main instructor's title is Shihan, so we called him Shihan/Sensei Chris and all black belts were Sensei *first_name*

msmitht

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
As I am the owner/master instructor at my dojang, my students refer to me as either sa bum nim, master smith or sir. I refer to all my students by their first names unless they are helping teach, then they are mr./mrs./ms. Jones. If aDan/Poom is assisting in class and gives a command the response is yes/sir/maam.
In bjj it is different. Black belts are proffesor/master. Blue belts are coaches. Purple/brown are instructors. All are called by first name. It is very personal when you are constantly training hard and keeping on a first name basis is important to the overall atmosphere.

rlobrecht

Brown Belt
Reaction score
In our school, our normal instructor is Kyosanim or Mr. Walter (first name - his choice.) Our junior instructors are all Mr./Ms. First Name (including black belts who are helping with instruction, but aren't paid instructors.) Our Master is Sabumnim, Master Hong, or Mr. Hong (last name.) We used to have a Grand Master, and he was Kwanjanim. All adults (regardless of belt) are Mr./Ms. First Name. High belt in the class is referred to as sir or ma'am, but that's only once right after we recite the oath.

Rick

Mark Jordan

Blue Belt
Reaction score
We normally use Sensei, or Prof although Mr., Ms./Mrs., Sifu, Master, Grandmaster are also used. It doesn't matter really. What matters is each one treats each other with respect.

ralphmcpherson

Senior Master
Reaction score
We refer to everybody by their first name or nickname irrespective of rank. The only exception is the GM where we add "Mr" to his name. If I called my instructor anything but his first name he would probably laugh at me, he is very modest and does not like the "mr" or "sir" or "instructor" or "sambunhim" etc. Actually all our instructors are like that come to think of it.

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
In my dojan we refer to the owner/grand master (7th dan) as sabunim or profesor Carillo (Carillo is the last name of our master), his wife (4th dan) is sabunim or profesora Anette (first name), I am one of the senior instructors and all the students refers to me as Don Manuel (Don is a higer grade than señor/mister and denotes a highly respected person regulary an old and wise person), sambunims refer to me as Don Manuel or Mister Maraboto (my last name). So I am: Don Manuel or Señor Maraboto or simply kyosanim but, basically all the people (students,parents and professors) calls me Don Manuel.

Manny

TKD Scotland

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
They just call me Daniel, but the head instructor at the Dojang gets eith "Sir" or "Mr.*His last name*"

andyjeffries

Senior Master
Reaction score
We tend to use first names in class, so I'm Andy and my instructor is Carl. If a visiting higher rank (that we don't know well) visits then we will use Master Jeffries or Master Lees (respectively), the same if we are at an event and in front of non-club members. We refer to higher ranks/visiting instructors as Master/Grandmaster Surname. The club's founder Grandmaster Pan is referred to as such, but we still call each other by first name in front of him.

When I start my new club in September, I will always be Master Jeffries. The reason is that it's at a school (for children only) and they are used to calling all their teachers/sports coaches Title Surname.

Aikicomp

Purple Belt
Reaction score
All my students call me Mike, except for the kids. I keep telling them that they can call me Mike, but, they always call me Sensei Mike or just Sensei. I just gave up and let them call me sensei or Sensei Mike.

We always called my teacher Nick, and all the Blackbelts by their first name. There was no real reason to be so formal in our club.

Mike

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
We pretty much stick with sir/maam for instructors and staff and first names for everyone else, including blackbelts. My students address me as Mister Sullivan.

Daniel

miguksaram

Master of Arts
Reaction score
For the most part everyone refers to black belt instructors as Sensei (first name). However, for Sensei Sharkey, the owner of the school, he is just Sensei.

I personally will call people either Sensei (first name) or Sir/M'am. Even the kids I will address as sir/m'am as a way to lead by example.

sfs982000

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Everyone regardless of rank are addressed as sir/maam or Mr./Mrs. (last name). They keep it very formal in our school, but it does set a good example for the younger kids.

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
We use Master or Sabum with Last Name and end all sentences with Sir or Ma’am. Instructors are titled as so and we use Instructor First Name. All Assistants are titled as such and will be addressed as, Assistant First Name.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My first instructor was a 5th Dan (and Korean) but had us call him "Mr. Kim," rather than Master. SBN, or sir. All other BB's were called by their first names, but "sir" or "ma'am" if they lead class or gave a command in the absence of SBN.

With that in mind, my students call me Mr., rather than Master. I call other instructors what they wish to be called. I'm more formal with them until or unless I'm asked not to be. My grandmaster has never called me by my first name. He either has called me Mr. or Master. While I wouldn't think of calling him by his first name, I sometimes am uncomfortable that he nwver calls me by mine.

masterchase

White Belt
Reaction score
For our association, Mr. Mrs. Miss for all black belts 1st-4th dan, even junior black belts.
Master for 5th dan and higher. Grandmaster Lee for our kwan jang nim.
When I referee at USAT events the referees use first names and it feels out of place for me, so I still use titles when I know them, such as Master Holloway. No one ever insists on it, it's just my preferance because it was taught to me that way by my instructor.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
When addressing a black belt that I know I usually call them y first name, however there are a few that I address as Master or Grandmaster, due to there rank.
When I introduce a black belt to my students it is always as Mr/Ms/ Mrs “x” or master or grandmaster.
As for my class itself I am called Sheldon or Leopard or MR. Bedell . Charlie and Phil ( the 2 BB who are with me) prefer to only be called by their first names where ever they are.

Archtkd

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
We use Mr., Miss, Ms., Mrs., Sir, Maam, Madam, and last names for all students regardless of age or rank. Titles with first names are a complete no, no, unless there's evidence or a strong rumor that one has been knighted. I tend to use last names with no title for students my age, who I have known for a long time, and are high gup or of yudanja rank.

Latest Discussions