Breaking News: Daedo to be used at the London 2012 Olympics

andyjeffries

Senior Master
Reaction score
Just saw this on Facebook (from Taekwondo News):

Based on intensive analysis and research, including observation of LaJust at the World Championships Swiss Timing has informed the WTF that it has selected Daedo for London 2012.

Daedo will be used at all Qualification Tournaments for London 2012 to ensure all qualification tournaments take place with consistency under same conditions as the London 2012.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5fQfejnz0I

I don't know how true it is, but thought it was of interest.

Markku P

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Yes, it's true! I just read it wtf.org

"Based on intensive analysis and research, including observation of LaJust at the 2011 WTF World Taekwondo Championships Gyeongju, Swiss Timing has informed the WTF that it has selected Daedo as a PSS supplier for London 2012 Olympic Games taekwondo competition."

/Markku

OP
andyjeffries

andyjeffries

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yes, it's true! I just read it wtf.org

"Based on intensive analysis and research, including observation of LaJust at the 2011 WTF World Taekwondo Championships Gyeongju, Swiss Timing has informed the WTF that it has selected Daedo as a PSS supplier for London 2012 Olympic Games taekwondo competition."

/Markku

The link to the article on the WTF site for those just wanting to read more...

RSweet

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Bye Bye Unjust hello Daedo

Sorry - USAT has a contract that mandates use of LaJust at USAT events. LaJust fronted a ton of money in exchange. Don't see it going away. Wonder how much time the those going to the qualifying event have spent training with the Daedo. Wonder if USAT is going to be able to cut a deal with Daedo or if they budgeted enough cash to buy it if they didn't - but rank and file - my bet is LaJust will still be around.

msmitht

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Uh oh, get ready for a stompin. The dae do scores back shots, something the lajust does not. Athletes will need to change their game. With la just firmly in place I don't see any of the us athetes placing in 2012.
You play the way you practice.
Down with unjust!

StudentCarl

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Interesting window of opportunity. Now USAT has to do what it takes to be competitive or risk a dismal showing. Will be fun to watch how this plays out.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well for the Lopez family this is the best possible news, since they are firm backers of Daedo and have a part of that US company. They will do very well since they train with it alot. Jean has always said Daedo would get the nod.

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
I hope this change in equipment can put things equal amoung competitors and the new electronic system will be fair for everyone.

I want to see more dynamic competition sparring with fair scores and the winner will be the best fighter.

Manny

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
Like I have been trying to say. EPP will not be going away, it will only evolve and get better and better. Some cry about LaJust but LaJust is needed to set a mark and then have that mark bettered. You don't cry about it, and say go back to old ways, you voice your opinions through feedback and give solid info in that feedback. Not that is just sucks. Nothing gets better from it just sucks. Can't wait to see what come along that is even better than Daedo. Or even how Daedo can make their system better. I love watching things evolve.

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
Sorry - USAT has a contract that mandates use of LaJust at USAT events. LaJust fronted a ton of money in exchange. Don't see it going away. Wonder how much time the those going to the qualifying event have spent training with the Daedo. Wonder if USAT is going to be able to cut a deal with Daedo or if they budgeted enough cash to buy it if they didn't - but rank and file - my bet is LaJust will still be around.

I think we need to read the actual contract before giving any opinions on the matter. There may be a clause, although unlikely, that if another Electronic Scoring system is selected for the Olympic Games, then the contract is void, at least with respect to Olympic selection events. I would want language like that in if I were the USAT attorney reviewing the contract.

Even without such language, there may still be warranty for fitness for a particular use issues and other defenses which would allow USAT to get out of the contract, again, at least for the Olympic selection events.

But it does show once again the short sighted decision making at USAT, yet another issue for the USOC to consider during its audit of USAT. Signing a contract that actually lessens the chances of USA winning medals at the London Olympics cannot be a good thing from the USOC's perspective.

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
Like I have been trying to say. EPP will not be going away, it will only evolve and get better and better. Some cry about LaJust but LaJust is needed to set a mark and then have that mark bettered. You don't cry about it, and say go back to old ways, you voice your opinions through feedback and give solid info in that feedback. Not that is just sucks. Nothing gets better from it just sucks. Can't wait to see what come along that is even better than Daedo. Or even how Daedo can make their system better. I love watching things evolve.

That's not what you said. I reported that LaJust doesn't work and that there were those who were actively lobbying for LaJust not to be used at the London Olympic Games, because so much was at stake and we could actually lose Olympic status because of it. You then went off on that, even when I and others stated that we were not against electronic scoring, just LaJust. I have been stating for years that Daedo was the best system out there, that it should be Daedo and not LaJust, which most agree was the worst system out there. To say that we need LaJust to set the standard is like saying we need exploding Pintos to set the standard for car safety. We don't need LaJust for anything, just like we don't need exploding Ford Pintos.

RSweet

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I have read the contract and I know the mindset of this crew. As far as JO's and Nationals, in that they are not WTF sanctioned, David can use anything he wants and his contract with LaJust calls for using LaJust. I don't remember there being a clause that says if you are not chosen for the Olympics, then we can get out. Keep in mind the attorney involved in that contract from our end - think about it. USAT can get out of it, but I believe if it does, it would have to refund money that it doesn't have. When I asked at the 2009 BOD meeting what happened if we lose all the recreational athletes because they did not want to buy socks and pay to rent the hogues, could we get out - and the answer was yes there are ways. However, I don't see LaJust sitting back and saying that they will write off the six figures they paid for this deal because USAT wants out.

Consequently, my take on the situation is that you will still be seeing LaJust at USAT events. USAT doesn't sanction Olympic Qualifiers and the Olympics, so the USAT contract with LaJust doesn't apply here. What does matter is that as part of the deal the USAT teams have been working with LaJust and simply do not have the experience with Daedo that other countries have. But then, let's not forget, according to David's magazine article on "Rigorous Oversight" - we provide the team with bottled water and we don't skimp on their training. It will be most interesting to see how our Olympic Qualifier Team performs in Azerbijan.

Latest Discussions