Adapting Kenpo for a disability

mj-hi-yah

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We have a great new student in our school who happens to have a prosthetic leg. He is strong and eager to learn, and does what he can in terms of the drills. He runs and is physically fit. He came to us from a brief try at jujitsu, where he told us the takedowns proved to be very difficult for him. We are working on adapting the Kenpo techniques to meet his needs, and it’s at times challenging, especially in terms of helping him maintain balance. Some of the techniques need to be changed quite a bit so I am going to videotape him so we can all remember the adaptations. I’m curious if anyone here has learned Kenpo with a similar disability or has ever developed or adapted Kenpo techniques for someone with a disability. If you have, or even if you haven’t and you just have some ideas you think might be of benefit, please do share.

Thanks!
MJ :)

Old Fat Kenpoka

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I briefly taught a guy who was partially paralyzed in one leg--like a stroke survivor. Had to totally modify the stances. Think of being stuck in a cat stance and not being able to do more than pivot on the back leg. And forget about kicking. Rotational torque: none. Focused a lot on fast hand movements, soft-style strikes. I think it was a frustrating experience for everyone. I think he didn't last six months.

I also briefly taught a guy with one arm. That was much easier.

Taught a deaf kid. No problem.

Briefly taught a blind guy. He never could block a punch. But when he grabbed hold of you, he never let go and he could punch really hard.

gmkuoha

Orange Belt
Reaction score
WE have an absolute awesome woman student in Billings, MT that is a confined to a wheelchair and does just great. I helped the instructor accomodate the techniques and forms to fit her but very little needed to be done and she is progressing just slightly behind a normal student. She has been in for about 5-6 years now and I certainly would not challenge her at any time.

I also had another parapalegic student in the 70's that did well and even competted in tournaments in weapons and fighting and did very well bring home trophies everytime he entered. It turned out that after a time of learning Ki Principles, he actually started walking which amazed his doctors and when he was able to father a child it blew all of them away. I'm still very proud of Jim Gray as he taught me as much as I taught him.
Grandmaster Kuoha

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here is an interesting thread on a similar discussion in the Ninjutsu section. I found the pic. on page 3 to be very interesting!

http://www.martialtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24855&page=1&pp=15

While it certainly proves to be a challenging task, it will definately make us think even harder about the various techniques. As for ways to adapt. I know that you said he is able to run, but how does he adapt when it comes time to do a kicking movement? If this proves to be difficult, the kick might be able to be substituted for a stomp or a very low kick to the shin.

I think that videotaping this would be a valuable tool. In addition, doing regular training during class, simulating an injury, would benefit everyone!

Good luck with this and let us know how it goes! :)

Mike

OP
mj-hi-yah

mj-hi-yah

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thanks to all of you for sharing your stories and ideas.
Old Fat Kenpoka said:
Focused a lot on fast hand movements, soft-style strikes. I think it was a frustrating experience for everyone. I think he didn't last six months.
We are definitely going to be emphasizing the hand strikes. I worked a couple of drills with him on the focus pads and he did really well. He is definitely experiencing some success and hopefully that will keep him motivated. I'm sorry that your student gave up on it, and I really hope that won't be the case here. I think Kenpo is a perfect art for making adaptations...it's just a matter of finding the right combinations of the alphabet to make words that he can use. Thanks for sharing your experiences. :)

gmkuoha said:
I'm still very proud of Jim Gray as he taught me as much as I taught him.
That's awesome. Your stories are inspirational thanks! :)

Thanks Mike perfect link! I really found the post on training on one leg to be a great idea for everyone! I wonder how he'd do without the prosthetic leg on for training. I'm not prepared to try that with him yet since I wouldn't know how to begin, but I'd love to know more about it, especially in terms of what is realistic to expect and how to direct him. I also really loved that guy's T-shirt on page 3! Pity can be a source of embarrassment for people with different needs. When he takes my class I treat him like any other student. I just give him options for other things that he can do for times he feels he can't do something we are doing. In that respect he is no different from any other student with an injury. Like the guy with bone spurs on his feet who can't do jumping jacks, or the two guys with shoulder problems who can't do push-ups or certain moves like Locked Wing for instance - we look for ways to adapt or change what they are doing.
Most kicks are a problem for him. Especially, roundhouse kicks are out as he can't pivot on the prosthetic leg. He can do ball kicks and side kicks quite well, but the problem is in the landing of the kick...he can become off balance. He also needs to balance himself on the prosthetic leg in order to get the kick off, and what concerns me about that is that he could easily be pulled off balance if the kick were intercepted since he can't use the prosthesis for recovery of balance. Luckily there are not too many kicks in our techniques. Of course just after telling him this, the technique of the week was Checking The Storm with two kicks LOL so we all laughed when we realized it. Then using the same attack, with input from the student, my instructor, myself and the other student teachers, we came up with a technique that really worked well for him. He did great with it too- showing excellent power and control!

I really like the idea of stomps and possibly shin kicks Mike. If we do have him kick, we've been trying to look at ways that he can land so as to safely gain leverage by using his opponent's body to his advantage.

Shodan

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I think it is awesome that you guys are putting in the time and effort to really help this student out. You could have just brushed him aside with the attitude that he won't go far cuz he can't do things........but no, your willingness to view this as something you can all work on, figure out and learn from is admirable.

I can't even imagine having to re-learn things with a prosthetic leg.....but I can relate a bit as I had to sort of re-learn balance and such after a total re-constructive knee surgery. With my brace on, I was constantly bruising my opposite leg doing kicks cuz it would brush against the HUGE dials on the side of the brace........I was so used to using the supporting leg as a guide in kicking. I had to sort of widen my stance for kicking because of that. One drill my instructor had me do......which may or may not benefit this student is hoping forward across the studio from leg to leg on diagonals into one-leg stances. Once I would land, I would have to gain my balance before doing the next hop by propping the non-supporting leg against the inner knee of the supporting leg. Once I got it down forwards, we'd work the drill hopping backwards. Other balance drills might benefit him as well......it really helped me in getting my overall balance back. How long has he had the prosthetic?

Another thing that helped me (and others I guess) was that after I got my brace, people didn't always remember that I had it on........they'd do their techniques and slam into my brace and hurt themselves. I began tying a red bandana around the leg with the brace on to remind people.......became sort of my "trademark" of sorts. If there is a problem with students forgetting about his leg (I'm assuming it is not obvious here with gi pants on)........might suggest that if you think it would help.

Bravo to this man for pursuing and interest despite a handicap too.......I bet he is a very neat person to know.

:asian: :)

bushi jon

Green Belt
Reaction score
How I would approach it. He has a built in weapon. How would you like to get sept with a fake leg to the heel? How fun front kick to the knee? He does not have a disability he has an above avearage ability

OP
mj-hi-yah

mj-hi-yah

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Shodan said:
I think it is awesome that you guys are putting in the time and effort to really help this student out. You could have just brushed him aside with the attitude that he won't go far cuz he can't do things........but no, your willingness to view this as something you can all work on, figure out and learn from is admirable.
Thanks Shodan for your kind words. He really is just like any other student who for now needs some extra attention, but already he is learning how to adapt and do the things that work for him. Like any other student he needs to fill his toolbox with Kenpo moves that work for him. It's about building on his strengths I think. I agree with you bushi jon that we can look to work it to his advantage. I told him to see for himself and that we would also be looking to see how he could use it as a weapon.

Shodan said:
I can't even imagine having to re-learn things with a prosthetic leg.....but I can relate a bit as I had to sort of re-learn balance and such after a total re-constructive knee surgery. With my brace on, I was constantly bruising my opposite leg doing kicks cuz it would brush against the HUGE dials on the side of the brace........I was so used to using the supporting leg as a guide in kicking. I had to sort of widen my stance for kicking because of that. One drill my instructor had me do......which may or may not benefit this student is hoping forward across the studio from leg to leg on diagonals into one-leg stances. Once I would land, I would have to gain my balance before doing the next hop by propping the non-supporting leg against the inner knee of the supporting leg. Once I got it down forwards, we'd work the drill hopping backwards. Other balance drills might benefit him as well......it really helped me in getting my overall balance back. How long has he had the prosthetic?
Sorry to hear about your knee Shodan! I'm glad you are finding ways to work with it. Thanks for the drill. I'm not sure if he can hop and regain balance on the prosthesis as it goes above the knee joint, so it's pretty stiff and sometimes even a step in that is too wide on the regular leg causes a loss of balance, but I do think he could benefit from some balancing exercises on that regular leg, so thanks for that suggestion. I never asked him how he got it because I didn't think it mattered, but how long he's had it could matter in terms of being used to it. I'll have to ask.

Shodan said:
Another thing that helped me (and others I guess) was that after I got my brace, people didn't always remember that I had it on........they'd do their techniques and slam into my brace and hurt themselves. I began tying a red bandana around the leg with the brace on to remind people.......became sort of my "trademark" of sorts. If there is a problem with students forgetting about his leg (I'm assuming it is not obvious here with gi pants on)........might suggest that if you think it would help.
Good point. At first he would have his gi pants rolled so I could easily see it and not have to think about it. Lately his pants have been rolled down and for a split second it's like, "wait a minute?" but I need only see him move a bit to notice. Having it unmarked could work to his advantage though so we shall see. We had a student in our school who wore a brace for awhile on his knee and all I can say is OUCH (plus a few filtered words) when I forgot it was there! In sparring he would mark it like you did, and that was a big help for the rest of us to not get seriously injured by it.

SHODAN said:
Bravo to this man for pursuing and interest despite a handicap too.......I bet he is a very neat person to know.
It is cool that he's doing this. He's a totally nice guy, but from what I know of him so far I really don't believe that has anything to do with his prosthetic leg.

Spaniard

White Belt
Reaction score
I have no suggestions, but I read that a fairly high-ranking San Soo black belt (like a ninth I believe) that is in a wheelchair.

I also saw a TV news story on a guy in a wheelchair that did EPAK. He had a specially designed wheel chair that was very maneuverable. He was flat out scary. He did a technique where he 1-2 parried a punch, then reached down and grabbed the standing attacker's leg, knocked him on his back and did a wheelie stomp for a finish. It was inspiring and, as I said, just scary.

I wish you the best in this endeavor!

Erik P.

OP
mj-hi-yah

mj-hi-yah

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Spaniard said:
I have no suggestions, but I read that a fairly high-ranking San Soo black belt (like a ninth I believe) that is in a wheelchair.

I also saw a TV news story on a guy in a wheelchair that did EPAK. He had a specially designed wheel chair that was very maneuverable. He was flat out scary. He did a technique where he 1-2 parried a punch, then reached down and grabbed the standing attacker's leg, knocked him on his back and did a wheelie stomp for a finish. It was inspiring and, as I said, just scary.

I wish you the best in this endeavor!

Erik P.
Thanks for your encouragement! :asian:

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
I have trained with a guy with a prosthetic leg and and he did very well. He was even good with his kicking skills. It had a tremendous help with his co-ordination and with his getting around with his prosthetic. I had 1 boxer that had half of a calf and he also did very well. They all can learn to use their hands very well and they learn to compensate for their mobility, given that in time it became difficult to tell that they had any disability.

A few years ago I saw a guy on T.V. that was a high ranking BB in kenpo that had lived his entire life in a wheelchair. He had adapted the use of his wheelchair in place of his kicks. This guy was amazing.

OP
mj-hi-yah

mj-hi-yah

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
searcher said:
I have trained with a guy with a prosthetic leg and and he did very well. He was even good with his kicking skills. It had a tremendous help with his co-ordination and with his getting around with his prosthetic. I had 1 boxer that had half of a calf and he also did very well. They all can learn to use their hands very well and they learn to compensate for their mobility, given that in time it became difficult to tell that they had any disability.
Thanks for your input searcher. I hope studying with us helps to improve his coordination in the same way!

A few years ago I saw a guy on T.V. that was a high ranking BB in kenpo that had lived his entire life in a wheelchair. He had adapted the use of his wheelchair in place of his kicks. This guy was amazing.
It must be the same man Erik saw on T.V. I'd love to see that footage...

Gin-Gin

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Awesome, MJ! :supcool: That's one of the things I love about Kenpo; it can be tailored to the individual. I'm sure you're doing a great job with him & like everyone else said, please keep us updated on his progress - that way all of us can learn from this experience.

Hugs,
Gin-Gin :)

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just wanted to give this thread a little bump.

MJ- How is the student progressing in the classes? Is he having a easy or difficult time with the various techniques?

Please let us know! :ultracool

Mike

OP
mj-hi-yah

mj-hi-yah

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
MJS said:
Just wanted to give this thread a little bump.

MJ- How is the student progressing in the classes? Is he having a easy or difficult time with the various techniques?

Please let us know! :ultracool

Mike
Mike,

The school's been closed, except for a couple of classes, for summer vacation. I'll let you know how it's going when we get back to it.

RevIV

Black Belt
Reaction score
I like a lot of the responses that have been given so far and I thought I would share my personal experiences. I adapt the style of kempo that I teach to the individual, disabled or not. Everyone has slight differences in their mannerism, body makeup, and ability so each person does things a little different. With that said, I have 2 black belts both promoted over the past 2 years that have had to overcome some major differences. One of them has been blind for her entire life and the only activity she does has been Kempo for the past 20 years. When she came to me 5 years ago none of her previous instructors treated her like a Kempo student she could not even hold a crane stance for more than 4 seconds, so thats what we did first (she also has an obesity problem which hinders her balance) we then took all of her techniques and made them work off of a grab of some sort. I had to level with her and ask if she could hear me punching and if so to teach me, she couldnt so the initial block of most of the techniques were kind of inadaquete so like i said we moved them to touch. Needless to say after 5 years and talking to 2 of my instructors they said to me "reaching black belt was about personal excellence" and that level is graded on the person not the group. So she tested and passed. The next individual was in a major car wreck and was not supposed to live, let alone walk. he is now doing both with a black belt. So no, neither of these individuals jump through the air, but both have the heart and spirit of a black belt. Side note, the gentlemen who was never to walk, went through the entire black belt test with everyone else and did a great job, Sure he fell a few times, but don't we all, it's the ones who get back up who deserve the credit.
In Peace,
Jesse
www.dpkempo.com

OP
mj-hi-yah

mj-hi-yah

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Jesse that was awesome to read! I especially love your line: "reaching black belt was about personal excellence". To me this can be done while maintaining high expectations with realistic goals for the individual. I'm glad you didn't give up on your students and that they did not give up on themselves. Both of those days must have been proud for everyone involved!

Thanks for sharing.

MJ :asian:

Gin-Gin

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
RevIV said:
I adapt the style of kempo that I teach to the individual, disabled or not. Everyone has slight differences in their mannerism, body makeup, and ability so each person does things a little different. With that said, I have 2 black belts both promoted over the past 2 years that have had to overcome some major differences. One of them has been blind for her entire life and the only activity she does has been Kempo for the past 20 years. When she came to me 5 years ago none of her previous instructors treated her like a Kempo student she could not even hold a crane stance for more than 4 seconds, so thats what we did first (she also has an obesity problem which hinders her balance) we then took all of her techniques and made them work off of a grab of some sort. I had to level with her and ask if she could hear me punching and if so to teach me, she couldnt so the initial block of most of the techniques were kind of inadaquete so like i said we moved them to touch. Needless to say after 5 years and talking to 2 of my instructors they said to me "reaching black belt was about personal excellence" and that level is graded on the person not the group. So she tested and passed. The next individual was in a major car wreck and was not supposed to live, let alone walk. he is now doing both with a black belt. So no, neither of these individuals jump through the air, but both have the heart and spirit of a black belt. Side note, the gentlemen who was never to walk, went through the entire black belt test with everyone else and did a great job, Sure he fell a few times, but don't we all, it's the ones who get back up who deserve the credit. In Peace, Jesse
Wonderful stories, Jesse! Thank you for sharing them; they are an inspiration to all of us. I also like the fact that you adapt the Art to the individual, whether they are disabled or not.

Respectfully,
Gin-Gin :asian: