Acupuncture, Qigong, and "Chinese Medicine"

The Kai

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I think that you need to think about. When people relied on Folkloric medicine what was the average lifespan 50 years old?

Simon Curran

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Although it doesn't entirely count as TCM, I have repeatedly had better results from chiropractors / sports massage experts than with western medicine, it has been my personal experience that western medicine is only interested in treating the symptom not the route cause.
Describe that cause however you want (bad chi/disease, whatever) I personally have experienced better results with the holistic approach, whereby in the short term it may mean more pain, but in the long term it means relief.
Just an opinion based upon personal experience, take it as you will

BruceCalkins

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Don Roley said:
Yes, you did lie.

http://www.martialtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?p=402706#post402706

Looking at the post above, you shoud realize that people are just going to treat you like you are making other things up unless you prove what you say.

So stop disrupting the boards by trying to claim to be more than you are. And certainly do not try to deny the truth.

Looking at the rest of your post, I do not see much hope for your rehabilitaion. It would save us all a lot of problems if you merely admited your lies, promised never to do so again, apologized for all the troubles you ahve caused and then stuck to only those things that you can and are willing to prove. And what you have written in this thread will probably not be provable for some strange reason. :rolleyes:

Again, we do not want disruptions on this forum. You lied, people are going to treat you like a liar so the best way to achieve harmony around here is to stick to provable facts.
First I never lied... After Bob posted the thing he did. I spoke to Mr. Koch in person and he said that Bob Must have misunderstood him and that II did teach with him and eventhough I am not a current full time instructor in the Kenpo School. I do teach there and am welcome anytime. You just put too many twists to make stuff sound good for you. I have not and never will Lie about my training or my abilities. Just because you don't believe them... I DON"T CARE... A Comment from Japan is not going to get me too upset. If you were in the USA I would invite you to meet me in person so we could talk and work out together then you could see that I am not a fake. I am not making a challange just to stop anyting there. I am talking about two Martial Artist Sharing Knowledge.
But I do ask with respect. You have no way to prove that I am not telling the full truth so please stopp making it out like you do.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Bruce, what I heard was what I posted. I stand by my statement.

Note:
Now, gentlemen, the discussion here is "Acupuncture, Qigong, and "Chinese Medicine"".
Not "The Fact & Fiction of Bruce". Theres a place for that, it's not here.
Take it there.
Clear?

Adept

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Tgace said:
Sure...any opinion is welcome. Personaly I think its placebo....
I remember reading about a trial where the test group were given 'acupuncture' that was really just an acupuncturist randomly jabbing needles into their bodies with no regard to traditional placement. The test group reported as much relief as the control group, who recieved actual acupuncture.

BlackCatBonz

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
thats funny........because i read about the same sort of study....and the exact opposite was reported. i also doubt that an acupuncturist was randomly "jabbing" people, more likely that they were needling points that wouldnt be used in an efficacious treatment of said disorder. i am currently searching through all my crud so that i can post the info. the problem with studying this stuff is that the people doing the study were simply asking, "does it work or not?"
does it work for what.....does it work for who?
in western medicine there are drugs that work on some people and not on others.......every person may be the same as a whole.....but there are many small differences.
anyone every have a shiatsu treatment by a therapist that studied real japanese shiatsu from the japan shiatsu college? much different than someone that studies zen shiatsu or one of the other derivatives that mixes the therapy with chinese medicine.
the trend these days seems to be western doctors accepting alternative, complimentary or holistic therapies as part of the care for their patients.
the witch hunt for getting rid of the D.O.M.'s, O.M.D's, TCM practitioners, and others is over.

T

TonyM.

Sorry, the link doesn't work any more.
It was about a study that used three groups of migraine sufferers. One group of one hundred they used blunt needles on and didn't break the skin. The next group of one hundred they used real needles on, but didn't use real accupunture points. The final group of one hundred got the real thing. The end result was that the first two groups got some relief, (placebo effect) and the third group got more.

BlackCatBonz

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
the thing about pain is that it can indeed be controlled psychologically, either to heighten or dull the pain. if someone is anticipating something painful to a certain area of the body, your mind tends to grease up the neural pathways involved heightening the sensation. the opposite is also true, a person can relax themselves and almost detach themselves from it.
when a person is receiving any kind of treatment for an ailment, a positive attitude definitely helps speed up the healing process. im sure many people out there have met someone who suffers from chronic pain and illness who are just plain old miserable people, that dont want to get well, or never believe that what they are doing is going to help them get well. i think this is one of the reasons for the explosion of use in the psychotropic drug market.
your body is its own greatest healer.....sometimes it just needs a little push in the right direction.

BlackCatBonz

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
at one point in time research was done to produce results that were less than favourable to branches of alternative or complimetary medicine.
it was simply done by not really following proper scientific procedure. the allopathic medical community did not want patients to be responsible for their own care because this would mean lost revenues.
yes there are people out there that sell snake oil......but there are also legitimate complimentary practices that help millions of people each year that might be considered unorthodox by western medical standards.
today many doctors are getting patients to get proactive and responsible about their health, rather than the old method of looking after a problem once it happens.

Latest Discussions