Acupuncture, Qigong, and "Chinese Medicine"

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Well, acupuncture is certainly very comfortable and relaxing. Just being forced to lie still for 45 minutes is very, very refreshing.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Tgace said:

OK..who are the diehard believers here?
Me for one.Screwed my neck muscles up once putting my barbell back in the squat rack, hey it happens..Tried the heating pad and rubs but nothing worked..30 some minutes with the acupuncturist and I was good to go..

OP
Tgace

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Sure...any opinion is welcome. Personaly I think its placebo....

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Three years ago, I developed tendonitis in both shoulders. After going through my usual failsafes of physical therapy and/or the sports medicine doctor, I was unable to get rid of it. Being out of ideas, I tried acupuncture and though it took several visits, he got 'er done.

Floating Egg

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Sure...any opinion is welcome. Personaly I think its placebo....
Yes, I think the results of various studies have been less than convincing in proving the effectiveness of acupuncture, though those who claim to have experienced relief will not be swayed by findings that challenge what they believe. Telling them that what they've experienced isn't real is almost like attacking who they are.

OP
Tgace

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I think psychologically its "effective" enough to have survived all these years, but if it were physically effective, it would be much more widespread than it currently is. IMHO.

BruceCalkins

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Tgace said:

OK..who are the diehard believers here?
Accupructure & Accupressure: I truly believe. I studies Massage Therapy at a Local Collage and worked with Accupressure and Shiatsu. I worked with the instructor that was certified in Accupuncture.. The things it healed were outstanding...

Qigong & Chinese Med...: 100%. I have been working with Chi energy for most of the time I have been in the arts. And Chinese Meds.... Most of the things we find in todays medical books have background in Chinese Medicine. From Asprine to Cancer treatments. Many things that the FDA are just allowing have been done in China for 100 years.

OP
Tgace

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Flatlander said:
So the question becomes, which is more important? Results, or medical explainability? (pretty sure I just made that word up)
I think it depends on what the "results" are. Pain management is a large chunck psychological so it just may help there. If you are depending on it to cure cancer...I think you will be sadly disappointed.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Acupuncture--definitely, for some things.

Qi Gong--not convinced.

TCM--helpful for some things, but I'll still take allopathy for most things.

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Flatlander said:
So the question becomes, which is more important? Results, or medical explainability? (pretty sure I just made that word up)
IMO, the end result. It could have been sugar pills for all I care. The end result was the same. I believed in what always worked for me before. It didn't work. I tried a new way, even though I didn't really believe, he stuck pins in me, pain went away.

Oh and congratulations on your new word! It's a dandy. Is it your first? :rolleyes: :)

Floating Egg

Blue Belt
Reaction score
IMO, the end result. It could have been sugar pills for all I care. The end result was the same. I believed in what always worked for me before. It didn't work. I tried a new way, even though I didn't really believe, he stuck pins in me, pain went away.
Can you see any potential dangers with that line of thinking?

Don Roley

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
BruceCalkins said:
Accupructure & Accupressure: I truly believe. I studies Massage Therapy at a Local Collage and worked with Accupressure and Shiatsu. I worked with the instructor that was certified in Accupuncture.. The things it healed were outstanding...

Qigong & Chinese Med...: 100%. I have been working with Chi energy for most of the time I have been in the arts. And Chinese Meds.... Most of the things we find in todays medical books have background in Chinese Medicine. From Asprine to Cancer treatments. Many things that the FDA are just allowing have been done in China for 100 years.

Bruce, after all the lies you have spread, why do you think people should take your word now?

Realize that you just do not have the credibility that other people here do because you have have been caught lying and they have not. If you keep that in mind, there will be a lot less sparks flying around.

To others, I have said what many of you have wanted to, there is no reason to jump up and down on Bruce now.

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Floating Egg said:
Can you see any potential dangers with that line of thinking?
Not at all. If what usually works doesn't, try something new. Please clarify what you mean.

Regards,

BruceCalkins

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Don Roley said:
Bruce, after all the lies you have spread, why do you think people should take your word now?

Realize that you just do not have the credibility that other people here do because you have have been caught lying and they have not. If you keep that in mind, there will be a lot less sparks flying around.

To others, I have said what many of you have wanted to, there is no reason to jump up and down on Bruce now.
I have gotten to the point that I dont care if people believe me or not. I have never lied or added to the truth, so the closed minded people can think what they want. They asked for a Video of My Lu Ling Sao.. I offered one with no tricks and it was SITLL not believed... In this forum unless you study the style someone likes or believe in the history the way someone else likes you have no knowledge.. Well... I don't Believe in God, I Don't Believe in the Devil, I do Believe in Lu Ling Sao, I do Believe in Mixed MArtial Arts and the ability of someone to Build their own art in America with out the help of the JAPANESE. I do believe that In about 525 B.C. an Indian Monk, Bodhidharma or Ta-Mo as the Chinese called him. Came to the Songshan Shaolin Monastery in the Kingdom of Wei. Here he taught the precepts of Zen[font=Arial, Helvetica, adobe-helvetica, Arial Narrow] as well as the skills of [/font][font=Arial, Helvetica, adobe-helvetica, Arial Narrow]Temple Boxing[/font] and this is the history of the Bigining of Martial Arts. and no one on this forum can or will prove me wrong. I have trained for many years and worked with too many great men and women to worry about being judged by you or anyone else in this forum. If you like what I have to say... Great if Not It Is MY OPINION and I have the right to it without being bashed just like you do. I would never dishonor you by bashing one of your posts and telling people that thats not right... It is your Right to Post your Opinion. So Just understand that I am not Upset with you. I just pitty the closed minded and the ones that have nothing but Doubt in their minds. And the small people that take fun of Bashing and judgeing something they have no knowledge of... You have never studied Lu Ling Sao... How can you say it is fake... You have never practiced Iron Shirt... How can you say it is fake... Just on your word... Sorry my friend.. But that is no longer good enough to up set me. Have a good life in the arts and Post freely. Enjoy life don't Bash it.

Don Roley

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
BruceCalkins said:
I have never lied or added to the truth,

Yes, you did lie.

http://www.martialtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?p=402706#post402706

Looking at the post above, you shoud realize that people are just going to treat you like you are making other things up unless you prove what you say.

So stop disrupting the boards by trying to claim to be more than you are. And certainly do not try to deny the truth.

Looking at the rest of your post, I do not see much hope for your rehabilitaion. It would save us all a lot of problems if you merely admited your lies, promised never to do so again, apologized for all the troubles you ahve caused and then stuck to only those things that you can and are willing to prove. And what you have written in this thread will probably not be provable for some strange reason. :rolleyes:

Again, we do not want disruptions on this forum. You lied, people are going to treat you like a liar so the best way to achieve harmony around here is to stick to provable facts.

OP
Tgace

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I guess, in the end, I would say "if it works for you (as in pain relief) go for it". However I would'nt recommend forgoing modern treatment of signifigant illness in favor of accupuncture. And above all dont get rooked into spending more money on accupuncture than you would on conventional treatment.

Latest Discussions