Account of a Kung Fu eye-gouging contest, 1891

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Nope. But he was in Xiamen (used to be Amoy) in Fujian. So whatever it was, it was short, quick & finger heavy looking for vital point striking most likely.

CTramonte

White Belt
Reaction score
I am wondering what some of you think of this:
An American reports from China on Kung Fu eye-gouging contests, 1891 | Martial Arts New York
Any clue as to what style this could be? I'm wondering if the location, or the finger-jabs provide a clue...

I know this style: it is Bagua (also called Pakua). It is a internal style who focus on the Chi flow and Chin Na (Qin Na) techniques.

In the picture that was presented in the article the two top ones are externalization of the Chi (offensive hits) and the bottom ones are the traditional defensive stance + arrow stance (the arms are in a normal open handed defensive stance and then are simply "rolled down") and the another intermediary defensive stance (the artist pictured a defense/grapple in the middle of the action).

hung-kyun-four-major-palm-techniques-poem.jpg

This article is very interesting and all the positions are promptly recognizable, although the pictures suggest they aren't from a fight, but from a form (kati). If you want to see it in a form, the Cheng Bagua Swimming Dragon is a good reference:

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Would you mind sharing how you determined it was Bagua by the article? Also the drawings aren't Bagua Zhang. They're of Lam Sai Wing.

qianfeng

Green Belt
Reaction score
Yea
Would you mind sharing how you determined it was Bagua by the article? Also the drawings aren't Bagua Zhang. They're of Lam Sai Wing.

I was wondering as well, bagua isn't that common back then before the Nanking kung fu institute brought the northern arts south. So unless you have some more info I hope u didn't just read they circled each other and decide it was bbaguabbagua

Latest Discussions