The Next Kung Fu Idol????

Jade Tigress

RAWR
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
This article is a year old so maybe some of you already heard of this, but I just saw it. All I can say is.....uhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/china/story/0,,1710743,00.html

Later this year, the monks will, at least temporarily, abandon the solemn asceticism of yore and throw themselves into the promotion of a glitzy audition for the kung fu stars of the future. Thousands of aspiring martial arts practitioners from around the world will be invited to show their best moves in the early stages, where they will have to impress a panel of judges. Through a process of elimination, the competitors will be whittled down first to 18, before a final contest between the top three to decide the winner. The top prize will be a leading role in a new series of kung fu epics that the monastery plans to film from the beginning of next year.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
This was talked about on MT before, but I cannot find where.

However I fully believe it could use a revisit.

Frankly the entire concept for this show is rather sad and absolutely hilarious at the same time

OP
Jade Tigress

Jade Tigress

RAWR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
This was talked about on MT before, but I cannot find where.

That figures. :D

However I fully believe it could use a revisit.

Frankly the entire concept for this show is rather sad and absolutely hilarious at the same time

So Xue, have you heard anymore about this? Did they get their *kung fu movie star*?

OP
Jade Tigress

Jade Tigress

RAWR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It is indeed, but somehow it's also kind of like a train wreck. If I saw this on TV I honestly don't think I could turn it off.

To be honest....me too. lol

Xue Sheng said:
....or if they in fact had lined up Segal. Not Kung fu, but what do most people know anyway.

Ah yes, the great Kung Fu master, Steven Segal. ;)

OP
Jade Tigress

Jade Tigress

RAWR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Shows how low they can go. They've turned Shaolin into a purely money making enterprise. If there are any true monks left, they are quite likely the last.

:soapbox:

I couldn't agree more. :asian:

jdinca

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
A very good friend of mine was involved in gathering competitors from the US. The competition from this country was held last July in LA, and the finalists ended up going to China for final competition at the monastery. This was produced for Chinese television and hasn't been broadcast outside of the country, as far as I know.

MaartenSFS

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Ja, I remember this... I saw the beginning on television and immediately turned it off. The Shaolin temple is a joke and I have zero respect for it. I even question its significance in the past: Who would be better at fighting; the military that need Gongfu to survive combat every day or some monks that practise more for health and meditate most of the day? I think it was all just a big bluff. Granted not all of the monks were monks and some of them had fighting ability, but compared to let's say generals, who had to fight with a plethora of other candidates and be the last man standing to receive their rank, they are rather insignificant.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
"Everybody was Kung Fu Idoling..." :lol:

qi-tah

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Quote from Gaurdian article: "Abbot Shi is adamant that kung fu should never become an Olympic sport because it would change the ethos of martial arts. "You cannot judge kung fu according to a set of standard measurements. It is not just about competition. Foreigners might think that, but for us it is part of our lives." "

What the?? So using wushu as a catchy hook for voyueristic light entertainment that will last about 15 minutes is ok, but using it to compete in a competition with over a hundred years of history is not?

Wushu may be part of Abbot Shi's life, but i'm willing to bet it's more a part of his bank balance...

Nebuchadnezzar

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Quote from Gaurdian article: "Abbot Shi is adamant that kung fu should never become an Olympic sport because it would change the ethos of martial arts. "You cannot judge kung fu according to a set of standard measurements. It is not just about competition. Foreigners might think that, but for us it is part of our lives." "

What the?? So using wushu as a catchy hook for voyueristic light entertainment that will last about 15 minutes is ok, but using it to compete in a competition with over a hundred years of history is not?

Wushu may be part of Abbot Shi's life, but i'm willing to bet it's more a part of his bank balance...

Very strong possibility of this being so Grasshopper.

Latest Discussions