AAU & Olympic TKD

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Has anybody seen the movement AAU is making in an effort to bring Olympic style of TKD to the limelight. They have added new wieght division to get with the USAT and WTF guidelines, are they getting close to bring serious competition to the Olympic venue and is the WTF going to allow there fighters to start to compete in the Olympics in the near future?
Terry

fireman00

Brown Belt
Reaction score
terryl965 said:
Has anybody seen the movement AAU is making in an effort to bring Olympic style of TKD to the limelight. They have added new wieght division to get with the USAT and WTF guidelines, are they getting close to bring serious competition to the Olympic venue and is the WTF going to allow there fighters to start to compete in the Olympics in the near future?
Terry

Right now the USAT is the National Governing Body (NGB) and if anyone wants to make the Olympics they have to make the US team by fighting their way through to the team trials.

There has been some concerns by some members of the USAT pertaining to how Herb Perez and his crew are running the show. Some members have gone as far as leaving the USAT and joining the AAU, but until the Olympic committe changes who is the NGB for TKD in the US its going to remain the USAT.

Here's a link to the USAT site for those interested.http://www.usa-taekwondo.us/92.htm

The WTF is a governing body of a large number of TKD dojangs but it really doesn't have much say in who does/ doesn't go to the Olympics.

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
You know I do understand that there are some who get into tkd for the olympic style fighting. However, the traditional and olympic sport tae kwon do are two different animals.

I think that the move is an effort to closely allign Tae Kwon Do and its rules and regs. However, I do agree that there should be a governing body for each, as it is. Too have the WTF govern the Olympic side of Tae Kwon Do would be unreasonable and too much for the organization to do effectively I believe.

fireman00

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Olympic sparring follows the rules set forth by the WTF (World TaekwonDo Federation located at Kukkiwan in South Korea).

USAT is the National Governing Body for folks in the U.S. who want to try and make the U.S. Olympic TKD team.

USAT follows the rules set forth by the WTF headquarters in Kukkiwan.