Upper body in TKD

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We all know TKD is an explosive kicking Art, so in your opinion and I stress opinion is the upper body real important to fighters of Olympic style or is speed and agility the best way to go in your training for competition?
Terry

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
terryl965 said:
We all know TKD is an explosive kicking Art, so in your opinion and I stress opinion is the upper body real important to fighters of Olympic style or is speed and agility the best way to go in your training for competition?

All the top fighters, so I understand, stress the speed and agility.

I did, however, win an Olympic-style sparring match against a much bigger opponent by repeatedly punching him so hard in the hogu that he didn't want to come back for the second round :)

OP
terryl965

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
zDom said:
All the top fighters, so I understand, stress the speed and agility.

I did, however, win an Olympic-style sparring match against a much bigger opponent by repeatedly punching him so hard in the hogu that he didn't want to come back for the second round :)

That is a good point in most OLympic style fights they cannot handle getting punched repeatingly so if there upper body was more developed would it had made a difference?
Terry

fireman00

Brown Belt
Reaction score
a lot of TKDists that fight Olympic style don't take the time to increase their upper body strength 'cuz points are hard to come by with hand technques.

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
I once heard Bill Wallace at our national convention in Cape Girardeau, MO stress speed. Coming from Bill it stands to reason that he knows something about the subject.

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
terryl965 said:
That is a good point in most OLympic style fights they cannot handle getting punched repeatingly so if there upper body was more developed would it had made a difference?
Terry

As far as absorbing punches, I would think core-strength would have more benefit than upper body (chest, shoulders).... although: see below.

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
fireman00 said:
a lot of TKDists that fight Olympic style don't take the time to increase their upper body strength 'cuz points are hard to come by with hand technques.

As I understand it, the judges need to see "trembling shock" / "body displacement" before awarding a point.

One way of doing the latter is to hit them up high on the hogu --- in the chest area --- as this will move them more.

Another thing to consider: you can win by knockout, and knockout can mean "unable to continue the match."

So if you can knock the wind out of them with a nice solid punch right square on the solar plexus.... :)

In any case, hit them hard enough low so they begin to commit to low blocking, it opens up that head.

ajs1976

Purple Belt
Reaction score
zDom said:
As far as absorbing punches, I would think core-strength would have more benefit than upper body (chest, shoulders).... although: see below.
From my limited boxing experience.

Core strength is necessary for absorbing hooks and straights to the body. Upper body strength (chest, shoulders, and arms) can also help with absorbing punches. While doing some round robin sparring in boxing a few weeks ago, I took a number of shoots to the upper arm. By the end of sparring my right arm was useless. Could barely hold it up, let alone punch with it.

As I understand it, the judges need to see "trembling shock" / "body displacement" before awarding a point.

One way of doing the latter is to hit them up high on the hogu --- in the chest area --- as this will move them more.
If you punch someone in the stomach that isn't ready for it and doesn't have good ab conditioning, you will see some trembling shock" / "body displacement". :)

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
Terry

I personally think that upper body strength is important. But not necessarily for just sparring but for hoshinsul and poomsae as well.

If one had limited time to spend to prepare for a competition though, I would not spend my time lifting weights to increase upper body strength. I'd be working on those aspects of my game which needed the most work-cardio, timing, combinations, ring management, recon of my opponents' games, etc.

Miles

Latest Discussions