Any benefit of switching to AAU?

bluekey88

Senior Master
Reaction score
Our competition team is at a bit of a crossroads. We're trying to decide wether we'll continue to do the USAT nationals (like we do every other year) or whether we'll go and do the AAU nationals.

I'm looking from feedback from anyone with expereince with both orgs.

here's our dilema, USAT is getting more and more expensive and their focus seems to really be more and more for the 14+ BB division. This makes sense as they are grooming potential Olympic team candidates. However, we're feeling that the support for all the kids who pave the way for the few lucky ones isn't always there. Nothing concrete, just a feeling that our head coach and myself have discussed.

We're thining AAU might be a bit cheaper as far as fees go. Also, since none of our players are realistic Olympic hoepfuls, we're not missing out on much in the way of Athlete development. Our kids like to compete and want to go out and have a good time. Wwe like to coach (we're volunteers and put in a lot of time).

However, we don't want to get stuck doign a second rate competition with dodgy judging and the like (and I know the argument could be made that you'll find that at both events :D). What are others expereinces with AAU? What's the level of competition? Is it comparable to USAT? How about how smoothly things run?

really any feedback would be appreciated so I can take this back to the team as we make decisions going forward.

Peace,
Erik

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Our competition team is at a bit of a crossroads. We're trying to decide wether we'll continue to do the USAT nationals (like we do every other year) or whether we'll go and do the AAU nationals.

here's our dilema, USAT is getting more and more expensive and their focus seems to really be more and more for the 14+ BB division. This makes sense as they are grooming potential Olympic team candidates. However, we're feeling that the support for all the kids who pave the way for the few lucky ones isn't always there. Nothing concrete, just a feeling that our head coach and myself have discussed.

We're thining AAU might be a bit cheaper as far as fees go. Also, since none of our players are realistic Olympic hoepfuls, we're not missing out on much in the way of Athlete development. Our kids like to compete and want to go out and have a good time. Wwe like to coach (we're volunteers and put in a lot of time).

However, we don't want to get stuck doign a second rate competition with dodgy judging and the like (and I know the argument could be made that you'll find that at both events :D). What are others expereinces with AAU? What's the level of competition? Is it comparable to USAT? How about how smoothly things run?

really any feedback would be appreciated so I can take this back to the team as we make decisions going forward.

Peace,
Erik

We do both!!! For the grassroots competitor the AAU is the way to go. It is much more coach/athlete/parent freindly IMHO. It is also very good for the serious athlete. My daughter has gone to Europe paid for by the AAU. They treat their Elite fighters vary well. At the National level (AAU Nationals) the tournament and the officiating is as good as the USAT. The qualifiers for the AAU are much less consistent. I would attend the USAT qualifier in your area. Remember you also have to attend an AAU qualifier to go to the AAU Nationals. In my opinion elite athletes should do both. Grassroots athletes should go to the AAU the competition is as good and it is a little cheaper.

The AAU is a very strong organization for athlete development at the Junior Level 14-17. Greg English, Selina Tubbs. Michele Silva and Olie Burton are all former or current AAU Jr National Team members and they just Qualified for the 2010 Youth Olympic Games in Singapore a very prestigious event through the USAT. Thats 4 out of the 6 positions got their start at AAU. I highly recommend AAU.

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score

Peace,
Erik

We do both!!! For the grassroots competitor the AAU is the way to go. It is much more coach/athlete/parent freindly IMHO. It is also very good for the serious athlete. My daughter has gone to Europe paid for by the AAU. They treat their Elite fighters vary well. At the National level (AAU Nationals) the tournament and the officiating is as good as the USAT. The qualifiers for the AAU are much less consistent. I would attend the USAT qualifier in your area. Remember you also have to attend an AAU qualifier to go to the AAU Nationals. In my opinion elite athletes should do both. Grassroots athletes should go to the AAU the competition is as good and it is a little cheaper.

The AAU is a very strong organization for athlete development at the Junior Level 14-17. Greg English, Selina Tubbs. Michele Silva and Olie Burton are all former or current AAU Jr National Team members and they just Qualified for the 2010 Youth Olympic Games in Singapore a very prestigious event through the USAT. Thats 4 out of the 6 positions got their start at AAU. I highly recommend AAU.

troubleenuf

Blue Belt
Reaction score
We have went AAU for the past 5 years after having been USTU/USAT for 22 years. After a rocky start (had some problems at first) I have found that the AAU is an outstanding organization that is progressive in its referee program and its athlete development. The added bonuses are:
Head kicking for all ages
Lower fees
Friendlier atmosphere
Level playing field
Less politics
Online coaching course

I know some have said in the past that the competition was not as good but I think they are fooling themselves. Or have never seen the competition. As with the USAT there are always a few divisions were the competition is lacking but for the most part the levels are right up there with the USAT... and the refereeing is better. I have a lifetime membership to the USAT but Im staying AAU right now and its looking like for a long while.

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score
By the way the AAU Team Trials are much better. I am really hoping for the day when the USAT has an approach to athletes/coaches/parents that more closely resembles AAU. The AAU and USAT each have room to improve. The best thing for all Sport TKD people would be if both organizations could work together but it seems that it is going to be sometime before that happens but never say never.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

I can only echoe what was said, The AAU team has been the place USAT is getting alot of there fighters. The grassrot part is sooo much better and it is a level playing field.

d1jinx

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
you know what i dont like about the 2.....

they hold thier nationals EVERY year during the same time. Maybe the competition would be better at both (and reffing) if people didnt have to split the two. But they do that on purpose. to protect themselves. 365 days out of the year and they have to hold it on the same days as each other every year. so who is really scared of who???????

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score

they hold thier nationals EVERY year during the same time. Maybe the competition would be better at both (and reffing) if people didnt have to split the two. But they do that on purpose. to protect themselves. 365 days out of the year and they have to hold it on the same days as each other every year. so who is really scared of who???????

You are right but blame the USAT because AAU events are booked four years out, So you see the USAT is trying to make people choose not the AAU, if the USAT was to work with AAU they would get better athletes and more, but that is how the chips fall.

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score

Unfortunately they are both stubborn and it is over things that have happened years ago. I would like them to bury the hatchet and move forward. It would be better for all involved. I don't like to take sides in this long standing struggle we participate in both organizations.

At the Grassroots level the AAU is much better, At the Junior level (14-17) it as good if not better! At the Senior Level the USAT is better but this probably has more to do with the fact that they are the NGB and control who goes to Pan Ams, Worlds and the Olympics.

d1jinx

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
s. lee and his entourage are gone and those that were on the outs with him have made their way back.... whats the deal.... lets get the U.S. re-united and not compete amungst the orgs... AAU serves a different purpose than USAT, so why try to make us choose....

maybe we should send letters to the big "D". (thats askinas)

besides... who wants to spend the fourth every year in a hotel away from home. I want to cook out, drink and watch fireworks.... not travel.

troubleenuf

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Team trials was fantastic this past year... and is the way things SHOULD be done. Double eliminations with plenty of good referees.

By the way the AAU Team Trials are much better. I am really hoping for the day when the USAT has an approach to athletes/coaches/parents that more closely resembles AAU. The AAU and USAT each have room to improve. The best thing for all Sport TKD people would be if both organizations could work together but it seems that it is going to be sometime before that happens but never say never.

OP
B

bluekey88

Senior Master
Reaction score
Does AAU do anything like the USAT Poomse Team trials?

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Does AAU do anything like the USAT Poomse Team trials?

They are looking at putting together a Poomsae team and also a point sparring team. The AAU will listen to its members and give it a real go if it can be done.

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Eric I thought this might help you, an article about the 6 member team from USAT 4 of the 6 came from AAU first. Read the tidbit.

On November 6th, the USAT held its Youth Olympic Games Team Trials at the Colorado Springs Olympic Training Center. The six athletes chosen will represent the US at the Youth Olympic Games Qualification Tournament in Tijuana, Mexico, March 3-4. US Athletes that place in the top six at the YOG Qualification Tournament will qualify for the 2010 Youth Olympic Games in Singapore, August 14-26.
The AAU Taekwondo Program is happy to see that of the six athletes who won on November 6th, two are current AAU Taekwondo Junior Team Members--Ms. Michelle Silva and Gregory English and two more are former AAU Taekwondo Junior Team Members--Ms. Selina Tubbs and Olie Burton. That's four out of six! AAU Taekwondo wants to wish all six of these athletes who made the team (including Ms. Jessie Bates of CA and Jeffrey Williams of Ill) the very best of luck in Mexico.

Latest Discussions