a weak woman

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We are all about conversations here, often things do go off topic as some will make a joke or post a memory/something they'd seen, read or heard, just as if we were sat in a pub or cafe chatting over drinks or coffee and Danish. It's what many of us do after training, it's what makes this site different from others, we converse as well as debate.

Now, about trolling, I asked you why you thought people would think you were trolling on here or were likely to be connected in some way with another poster, you didn't answer. I am genuinely curious on this issue, I haven't said anyone IS trolling btw.

Your comments on the amounts on posting are unneccesary, do you tell people to stop talking in real life or that they talk too much? Worse do you tell them that what they say is worthless? Some people are more loquacious than others, some take a while to get around to their point. However here we try to emulate real life (or better) in that there's room for all sorts to chat and give their opinions. Yes they will have their opinions challenged and people have to defend their views but that's to the good if done in a civilised manner with proper citations as you would in academia for example or at a dinner party with people who know how a discussion should be conducted.

For someone so new here and to be so critical is........ interesting.

Ah, but is She or He new here?? ;)

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am not good on specific english geography so I guess I owe jobo an apology on that.

I am willing to put to rest any squirrelly ideas about people speaking proper English if you can define proper English. I would thank that would be as difficult as speaking proper american English.

Perhaps you could enlighten me on how I have done damage to the Queen's English than Americans given that I am an American.

Proper English is 'Received Pronounciation', which is accentless English used by the BBC in its early days. Look up early BBC broadcasts to hear what it sounded like this along with proper spelling and grammar makes up the Queen's English, or as we know it how posh people talk. The way most Brits speak is either in dialect or with an accent. Dialects are great, accents not so much, Estuary English is disgusting and needs to have all speakers shot. Some accents are amusing, some mysterious. Dialects are usually unintelligible but priceless, the dialect where I am in North Yorkshire contains quite a few Norse words left by the Vikings. This also being in Yorkshire we are the natural enemies of people like No no from Lancashire. Yes it's been going on since the 15th century CE.

D

Deleted member 39746

Martial arts are designed to be used by the weak, so they can make themselves strong.
Anything you choose will be a great starting point towards improving yourself mentally or physically - it's just a matter of how much your body can currently take. I would recommend you continue to train with your bike, and begin some light home workouts and meditation, to bring up your general fitness level.

Ehhhh, not really. Some make the assumption you are strong so dont do S&C ergo, if you are all farmers in 1500 China, you are all probbly sufficently strong due to the manual labour you do day in and out.

Not to put anyone off it, but not all are like that and not all do S&C and some were made with the presumption you are strong or get fitness elsewhere. Actually the in thing for a while on a lot was you get fitness elsehwere as the best you did fitness wise at some was warm up calisphenics. (thats still a issue today) the anti strength cult and brigade still does exist to this day.

Now how ever some are made with the presumption you need fitness training so do that, a good point to make is (military)Defendu was made and had to tailor to the Home guard (old men) SoE (anyone) and also the general infantry and military. so it had to be tailorable to your sterotypical can move a mountain commando and someone who is probbly 40, missing a leg and has been a typist. And it was largely altered to fit those brackets. (defendu for the purpose just means U.K comabtives of the time) You can see the training requirements for all 3 of those subsections being diffrent and the standard level and expetation of fitness being diffrent.

OP
Lisa lyons

Lisa lyons

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Lisa, all I can say is to keep going for your dream. You have the willpower to succeed. I hope you feel better soon. I believe you have the talent and the awesomeness to practice martial arts. Stay safe and be strong.
Thank you marlene. I was learning this last night.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
It's great that in the modern era, using technology, people can learn to effectively defend themselves through videos and YouTube. It's always been easy to learn self defense just by training earnestly. We have a guy on here who is a real self defense expert. He's overcome his lack of experience through dedicated training and reading a lot of books on Samurai. It's amazing what you can do. He teaches other people self defense now.

Keep watching the videos, follow your dreams, and remember that dreams remain dreams until you take some action! Also, it's a good idea to eat leafy green vegetables and mind your cholesterol. And remember, don't do the crime, if you can't do the time. If you stick with it, in a few years you can start your own business.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's great that in the modern era, using technology, people can learn to effectively defend themselves through videos and YouTube. It's always been easy to learn self defense just by training earnestly. We have a guy on here who is a real self defense expert. He's overcome his lack of experience through dedicated training and reading a lot of books on Samurai. It's amazing what you can do. He teaches other people self defense now.

Keep watching the videos, follow your dreams, and remember that dreams remain dreams until you take some action! Also, it's a good idea to eat leafy green vegetables and mind your cholesterol. And remember, don't do the crime, if you can't do the time. If you stick with it, in a few years you can start your own business.

Are you sure you aren't British?
That was a very British post, loved it. :D

PhilE

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
can anyone recommend a system for a thin woman? i have trained in a gym but i am sadly very weak. I have a lung disease so i have trouble doing cardio. I want to still try training in martial arts.

As someone else said, check in with a doctor as to what you can do.

Try chi gung and Tai Chi for the lungs, but only if a doctor says deep breathing exercises are ok. Some restorative yoga may help also, but only in the Iyengar system and with a suitably qualified teacher. (Avoid teachers with a one month qualification.)

If all the above are ok, and IF the doctor approves you for light cardio, look around for a gentle martial arts class, where the teacher knows of and can assist you with your condition.

ernst

White Belt
Reaction score
you can try shiatsu (wish is mostly done before aikido)
tai chi / before kung fu or any form of tao massage

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
yes i am a positive person. just feeling negative chi from some on here.:eek:

Lisa, are you really a fifty seven year old woman?

If you are, please be careful not to overdo it going forward. Go easy, get as fit as you can as easy as you can, walk, stretch, ask your physician's advice first.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
[QUOTE="Dirty Dog, post: 2028086, member: 20725"]Jobo and I agree on very very little.
and that my friend was my point he writes just for the sake of it on multiple threads. never mind. get back on topic. :banghead:[/QUOTE]

Mss Lisa, if you do eventually join a dojo you will be better served leaving the attitude with the shoes outside the dojo floor.

Syeed Ali

White Belt
Reaction score
I tried to read through, but at some point I ended up skimming, so I'm sure I have an incomplete picture.

@Lisa lyons - What problem are you trying to solve?

You opened with your limitations then hinted at curiosity in martial arts.

If you are only interested in your health/fitness, then "martial arts" of any variety is adding unnecessary complexity. Some in this thread have offered merely martial arts-touched directions to pursue (maybe basic tai chi exercise, and not a martial tai chi chuan), and I agree with that. These are lopsided toward more internal things and away from the hard great-cardio-requiring physicality of most martial arts. Learning some lesser version of a martial art which has been tuned down to your handicap might actually demoralize you since you might never "get good" (if only to your own satisfaction).

More than once you've been directed toward your doctors for advice. Go to them. Then come back and tell everyone so you can get better-tuned opinions.

I read others recommending a personal trainer or solo-time with a master. Instead, I would say you get a physiotherapist. A few consultations, perhaps even held remotely via webcam, would help you better understand yourself and give you some specialized exercises. While some (some!) masters will have good expertise that can help you specifically, the right physiotherapist is exactly the right person to get advice from. Plus I'd bet physio would be cheaper.

Now.

I'm going to push toward something that might not apply to you.

Some people pair the social and cultural with activity. A martial art has a community which can act as a motivator. Maybe a gym is just too undirected, boring and lonely and martial arts would be the cure. But martial arts are not necessarily for those things. Again I ask what problem needs to be solved? Heck, Pilates might be the answer. Getting a hobby, making a friend and going to the gym together might be the answer.

The self-drive necessary to pursue something physical alone might be the problem that needs to be solved. Maybe it's solved by doing something social-physical, or maybe it's solved by improving one's own self-drive (somehow; this is my own flaw).

I have a parallel concern, as I have withered dangerously and need to get a little fit. I was once quite "into" things, and sketched out a self-directed program in 2004 that just so happens to be perfect for what I'm struggling with now. (thanks past-self!) I intend to make a video series talking about and demonstrating everything I go through, over the course of the next several years I'm sure, since I think that's the way I can motivate myself; by teaching and showing.

I'd talk about my own concerns on this forum, but they wouldn't get into martial arts for many years. Well technically I'd be pursuing very important martial foundations but talking from a martial perspective is a distraction.

OP
Lisa lyons

Lisa lyons

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I tried to read through, but at some point I ended up skimming, so I'm sure I have an incomplete picture.

@Lisa lyons - What problem are you trying to solve?

You opened with your limitations then hinted at curiosity in martial arts.

If you are only interested in your health/fitness, then "martial arts" of any variety is adding unnecessary complexity. Some in this thread have offered merely martial arts-touched directions to pursue (maybe basic tai chi exercise, and not a martial tai chi chuan), and I agree with that. These are lopsided toward more internal things and away from the hard great-cardio-requiring physicality of most martial arts. Learning some lesser version of a martial art which has been tuned down to your handicap might actually demoralize you since you might never "get good" (if only to your own satisfaction).

More than once you've been directed toward your doctors for advice. Go to them. Then come back and tell everyone so you can get better-tuned opinions.

I read others recommending a personal trainer or solo-time with a master. Instead, I would say you get a physiotherapist. A few consultations, perhaps even held remotely via webcam, would help you better understand yourself and give you some specialized exercises. While some (some!) masters will have good expertise that can help you specifically, the right physiotherapist is exactly the right person to get advice from. Plus I'd bet physio would be cheaper.

Now.

I'm going to push toward something that might not apply to you.

Some people pair the social and cultural with activity. A martial art has a community which can act as a motivator. Maybe a gym is just too undirected, boring and lonely and martial arts would be the cure. But martial arts are not necessarily for those things. Again I ask what problem needs to be solved? Heck, Pilates might be the answer. Getting a hobby, making a friend and going to the gym together might be the answer.

The self-drive necessary to pursue something physical alone might be the problem that needs to be solved. Maybe it's solved by doing something social-physical, or maybe it's solved by improving one's own self-drive (somehow; this is my own flaw).

I have a parallel concern, as I have withered dangerously and need to get a little fit. I was once quite "into" things, and sketched out a self-directed program in 2004 that just so happens to be perfect for what I'm struggling with now. (thanks past-self!) I intend to make a video series talking about and demonstrating everything I go through, over the course of the next several years I'm sure, since I think that's the way I can motivate myself; by teaching and showing.

I'd talk about my own concerns on this forum, but they wouldn't get into martial arts for many years. Well technically I'd be pursuing very important martial foundations but talking from a martial perspective is a distraction.
WOW...great post.

OP
Lisa lyons

Lisa lyons

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I had a very good training session this morning. I feel like a Gorilla but a big pink one :p

OP
Lisa lyons

Lisa lyons

Orange Belt
Reaction score
i have started to go for evening walks too. it´s cold but i am braving it !

Razznik

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I'm not a master at martial arts but I'm pretty sure his whole entire stance was wrong. Another thing I don't understand is why his fists were tucked in behind his body. I also don't understand how you would injure someone with a fist like that. I mean even if he did the move in slow motion, how would you injure an opponent purely by twisting your hand?
Thank you for enlightening me

Latest Discussions