Boxing Gym Questions

saavedra

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Hey all,

Thanks for all the advice! After mulling it over, I've decided to start training boxing for now, get some experience there and get into better shape before considering grappling training.

That leads to more questions, of course...anyone want to take a crack?
  • Iā€™m now in the process of looking for a gym to train at. I live in Manhattan, so there are, I assume, plenty of places, but Iā€™ll try to cut through the process by asking if anyone out there is familiar with the scene in NYC, and if they have any recommendations? Just a shot in the dark.

• Is there an online forum or site that youā€™d recommend for reviews/information? Separate from here, of course! I stumbled on to this site by accident, and itā€™s been incredibly helpful. Perhaps someone here knows of another forum or site that offers reviews, etc. of gyms. Again ā€“ shot in the dark.

• Iā€™ve returned recently to a light workout routine (cardio and weightlifting). Barring obvious reasons to set it aside like exhaustion or injury, do you guys recommend that I continue with the workout in addition to whatever I wind up doing at the gym?

• Lastly (for now) do you have any general tips about choosing a gym/trainer? Things that you wish you had known if/when you were in my position?
Thanks, allā€¦as always...

--saav

MuayJitsu

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Stop overthinking it just find a place and go and train. If you like it keep going if you donā€™t like it find somewhere else.

as for the question about carrying on your own exercise absolutely keep doing it as long as it fits your schedule and your body can handle it you can never have to much fitness and strength.

what I do now when Im off work I go the gym for half an hour before classes just to some light weights then go to class (the classes are only a 2 minute walk from the weights gym)

youā€˜ll probably find a few martial art people who say how working out is bad for martial arts but imo thatā€™s an excuse out of shape people use for being out of shape. Fitness and strength is 100% a key for success in martial arts. Yes technique Is very important but if you have a good technician whoā€™s out of shape against a good technician whoā€™s in shape then the guy in shape has the advantage

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
  • Iā€™ve returned recently to a light workout routine (cardio and weightlifting). Barring obvious reasons to set it aside like exhaustion or injury, do you guys recommend that I continue with the workout in addition to whatever I wind up doing at the gym?
Well done on making a choice! Iā€™d say continue with low impact cardio training (elliptical trainer, swimming, speed walking) and low rep heavy weight training, but Iā€™d emphasise the cardio.

• Lastly (for now) do you have any general tips about choosing a gym/trainer? Things that you wish you had known if/when you were in my position?
This is a little like asking strangers who you should pick as a life partner!

Go along and get the feel of a boxing gym. Do you find the coach friendly but encouraging? Are the other trainees, friendly and willing to help you out? Go with your gut feeling. If a gym seems unwelcoming, you probably wonā€™t like or persist in your training.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hey all,

Thanks for all the advice! After mulling it over, I've decided to start training boxing for now, get some experience there and get into better shape before considering grappling training.

That leads to more questions, of course...anyone want to take a crack?
  • Iā€™m now in the process of looking for a gym to train at. I live in Manhattan, so there are, I assume, plenty of places, but Iā€™ll try to cut through the process by asking if anyone out there is familiar with the scene in NYC, and if they have any recommendations? Just a shot in the dark.

• Is there an online forum or site that youā€™d recommend for reviews/information? Separate from here, of course! I stumbled on to this site by accident, and itā€™s been incredibly helpful. Perhaps someone here knows of another forum or site that offers reviews, etc. of gyms. Again ā€“ shot in the dark.

Thanks, allā€¦as always...

--saav
I donā€™t know anything about the boxing scene in NYC, but I assume there will be a lot of options to choose from.

In terms of choosing a coach, youā€™ll probably want someone who works with both fighters and hobbyists. If you have a coach who only works with hobbyists, they may not have the knowledge and skill set to teach in what you are looking for martially. If you have a coach who only works with fighters, they may not be willing to adapt the intensity of training to your current needs. In addition, look for a coach whose personality and coaching style click with you. Some coaches operate like screaming drill sergeants, others have a much more supportive, encouraging approach. Find someone who will help you stay motivated to do the work.

OP
S

saavedra

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Stop overthinking it just find a place and go and train. If you like it keep going if you donā€™t like it find somewhere else.

I'm not overthinking it; I am an absolute newbie who lives within easy distance of 20+ establishments offering something they call "boxing".

If recommendations and advice help me, I'll take advantage of them, because I don't want to throw my time and money in the toilet.

OP
S

saavedra

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I donā€™t know anything about the boxing scene in NYC, but I assume there will be a lot of options to choose from.

In terms of choosing a coach, youā€™ll probably want someone who works with both fighters and hobbyists. If you have a coach who only works with hobbyists, they may not have the knowledge and skill set to teach in what you are looking for martially. If you have a coach who only works with fighters, they may not be willing to adapt the intensity of training to your current needs. In addition, look for a coach whose personality and coaching style click with you. Some coaches operate like screaming drill sergeants, others have a much more supportive, encouraging approach. Find someone who will help you stay motivated to do the work.
This is excellent advice, and I appreciate it!

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm not overthinking it; I am an absolute newbie who lives within easy distance of 20+ establishments offering something they call "boxing".

If recommendations and advice help me, I'll take advantage of them, because I don't want to throw my time and money in the toilet.
Unfortunately, you're going to have to take time on it. Even if I recommended a gym that some of my friends have trained at, it might not be the right gym for you. They train very intensely, and prep for fights, which I don't think is what you're looking for - and anyone else who offers a recommendation might be recommending what would be good for them not what's good for you.

OP
S

saavedra

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Did you find one yet?
There are three I'm going to check out that seem to be "legit" in the sense they aren't offering fitness-based programs but rather sparring and fight prep. I'm surprised by the number of places that seem to be fitness establishments that happen to offer a boxing (or kickboxing) class.

gyoja

2nd Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There are three I'm going to check out that seem to be "legit" in the sense they aren't offering fitness-based programs but rather sparring and fight prep. I'm surprised by the number of places that seem to be fitness establishments that happen to offer a boxing (or kickboxing) class.
Cool. Let us know how it goes!

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I suppose itā€™s the trend. Everyone knows (kick) boxing training is very good for fitness and physique and few people want to get punched in the face and have their blancmange-like brains rattled around within their cranium.

gyoja

2nd Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are you kidding. I wouldnā€™t try boxingā€¦.ever!
Am I kidding? Who are you and why am I here? I canā€™t remember; maybe it is due to all the times I blocked a punch with my faceā€¦šŸ˜‚

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Am I kidding? Who are you and why am I here? I canā€™t remember; maybe it is due to all the times I blocked a punch with my faceā€¦šŸ˜‚
Iā€™m so good, nobody has been able to even touch my face. I take only the most effective and discard the rest šŸ˜‘

gyoja

2nd Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Iā€™m so good, nobody has been able to even touch my face. I take only the most effective and discard the rest šŸ˜‘
I need to come study with you then. I think that Iā€™m just a glutton for punishment!

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I need to come study with you then. I think that Iā€™m just a glutton for punishment!
Youā€™d have to ā€˜enter the pyramidā€™ scheme and buy a red silky costume (from me) before youā€™d be allowed in my presence.šŸ˜‘

MuayJitsu

Orange Belt
Reaction score

Okay and what do you think people did before the internet? They turned up and made a decision. You can read all the reviews you want but youā€™ve got to enjoy it if youā€™re going to stay. All recommendations are are other peopleā€™s opinions just because they think a place is good/bad doesnā€™t mean youā€™ll think the same. Itā€™s like if someone leaves a negative movie review that doesnā€™t mean you wonā€™t like the movie itā€™s just a random persons opinion

Latest Discussions