a weak woman

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My friend, we humble Americans get chided by folks from the UK for murdering the English language. My point is that you can't kill what is already dead. :)

Mmm, you don't just murder it you fling the body at our feet!

Still I can't say the grand English art of tongue in cheek is lost on you, I applaud your efforts, definitely deserved I think.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score

Still I can't say the grand English art of tongue in cheek is lost on you, I applaud your efforts, definitely deserved I think.
I'm genuinely stunned you allowed me to get away with saying 'humble Americans.' I'll take that win and cash out while I'm ahead. :D

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
100% correct but quality posts not just hundreds of posts on multiple threads about everything & anything.

I'm so sorry. I seem to have missed the vote that granted you the right to determine not only how many posts are acceptable, but also the sole arbiter of post quality.

Jobo and I agree on very very little. But as long as he stays within the Terms of Service, he's welcome to post as much as he likes. Just like every other user.

OP
Lisa lyons

Lisa lyons

Orange Belt
Reaction score

Hmm .. what has this to do with the thread? & you speak about trolling o_O

OP
Lisa lyons

Lisa lyons

Orange Belt
Reaction score
[QUOTE="Dirty Dog, post: 2028086, member: 20725"]Jobo and I agree on very very little.[/QUOTE]
and that my friend was my point he writes just for the sake of it on multiple threads. never mind. get back on topic. :banghead:

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There's a difference between trolling and being off-topic. If you don't like posts off-topic to a thread, you might find MartialTalk a bit tedious. We drift pretty quickly, and often in pretty silly ways.

OP
Lisa lyons

Lisa lyons

Orange Belt
Reaction score
anyway this conversation is getting tedious. i & a few others have their opinions which i think should be ok.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score

We are all about conversations here, often things do go off topic as some will make a joke or post a memory/something they'd seen, read or heard, just as if we were sat in a pub or cafe chatting over drinks or coffee and Danish. It's what many of us do after training, it's what makes this site different from others, we converse as well as debate.

Now, about trolling, I asked you why you thought people would think you were trolling on here or were likely to be connected in some way with another poster, you didn't answer. I am genuinely curious on this issue, I haven't said anyone IS trolling btw.

Your comments on the amounts on posting are unneccesary, do you tell people to stop talking in real life or that they talk too much? Worse do you tell them that what they say is worthless? Some people are more loquacious than others, some take a while to get around to their point. However here we try to emulate real life (or better) in that there's room for all sorts to chat and give their opinions. Yes they will have their opinions challenged and people have to defend their views but that's to the good if done in a civilised manner with proper citations as you would in academia for example or at a dinner party with people who know how a discussion should be conducted.

For someone so new here and to be so critical is........ interesting.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm genuinely stunned you allowed me to get away with saying 'humble Americans.' I'll take that win and cash out while I'm ahead. :D

I just thought you were speaking hypothetically.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
There is an ignore feature if you no longer wish to see what a certain person has to say. If you find someone too aggravating to interact with, the ignore feature allows you to separate yourself from them. I have several people on ignore. It is useful. I suggest you use it.

OP
Lisa lyons

Lisa lyons

Orange Belt
Reaction score
There is an ignore feature if you no longer wish to see what a certain person has to say. If you find someone too aggravating to interact with, the ignore feature allows you to separate yourself from them. I have several people on ignore. It is useful. I suggest you use it.
yes i am a positive person. just feeling negative chi from some on here.:eek:

oftheherd11

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I am rolling. I think he's from Manchester... so, yeah, maybe English isn't his first language!

Now, can we finally put to rest any squirrelly ideas that people from the UK speak and/or write proper English? I think a strong case can be made that you have done more damage to the Queen's English than Americans ever could. :D

I am not good on specific english geography so I guess I owe jobo an apology on that.

I am willing to put to rest any squirrelly ideas about people speaking proper English if you can define proper English. I would thank that would be as difficult as speaking proper american English.

Perhaps you could enlighten me on how I have done damage to the Queen's English than Americans given that I am an American.

oftheherd11

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
yes WC i think is a good system. I am looking at JKD as i wrote on another thread a friend teaches it. It has everything you need . he has in his small school 2 wooden dummy things :D

Looks like we are really good here on MT! You have become quite educated on several arts.

It's kind of why I am usually reluctant to recommend an art beyond what looks good to an individual and close enough to get to. Choice of martial arts is a very personal decision and I would not like to influence a person incorrectly.

oftheherd11

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Lancastrians don't speak the Queen's English, they speak a dialect of English as do many in the UK, we have a lot of dialects. A dialect is not an accent.

Officially it's language family is.... 'Indo-European Germanic West Germanic Ingvaeonic English Lancashire Dialect.'

I bet you can't say that five times in a row without making a mistakel. :eek: :D:D

oftheherd11

Yellow Belt
Reaction score

Not that I am keeping track, but this isn't the first time you have used a term or concept you shouldn't know or understand in this thread, at least relative to MA. For some reason I find that interesting.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I love chi lattes.
I am not good on specific english geography so I guess I owe jobo an apology on that.

I am willing to put to rest any squirrelly ideas about people speaking proper English if you can define proper English. I would thank that would be as difficult as speaking proper american English.

Perhaps you could enlighten me on how I have done damage to the Queen's English than Americans given that I am an American.
Okay. You got this all turned around. First, just to be clear, my post was intended to be a lighthearted joke. It alludes to a common assertion by folks across the pond that Americans, particularly in parts of the country with strong dialects, butcher the language. And often, they're right about that. And also the implication that if we do, they do not. And often, they're wrong about that.

So, my post had nothing to do with you butchering the language. Your innocent post was hilarious because you earnestly and without irony suggested that @jobo's ability to communicate in his native language is so bad, one could honestly believe he's not fluent in English. That's funny. Funny because he's so bad at communicating in his native language, and in particular because he's from the UK.

Hope this clears things up. :)

OP
Lisa lyons

Lisa lyons

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Not that I am keeping track, but this isn't the first time you have used a term or concept you shouldn't know or understand in this thread, at least relative to MA. For some reason I find that interesting.
emotional immaturity.jpg

Ivan

Black Belt
Reaction score
can anyone recommend a system for a thin woman? i have trained in a gym but i am sadly very weak. I have a lung disease so i have trouble doing cardio. I want to still try training in martial arts.
Martial arts are designed to be used by the weak, so they can make themselves strong.
Anything you choose will be a great starting point towards improving yourself mentally or physically - it's just a matter of how much your body can currently take. I would recommend you continue to train with your bike, and begin some light home workouts and meditation, to bring up your general fitness level.

I am usually one who opts for extreme methods and throwing people into the deep end as that's how I was hardened myself, but it is important to understand your limits before you push past them.

Marlene Morga

White Belt
Reaction score
Lisa, all I can say is to keep going for your dream. You have the willpower to succeed. I hope you feel better soon. I believe you have the talent and the awesomeness to practice martial arts. Stay safe and be strong.

Latest Discussions