A Typical Class

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought it would be interesting to hear what a typical Kaju class is like? Something along the lines of time frame, material covered, etc. :)

Looking forward to some replies!:ultracool

Mike

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
I thought it would be interesting to hear what a typical Kaju class is like? Something along the lines of time frame, material covered, etc. :)

Looking forward to some replies!:ultracool

Mike

I'd be really interested, too. Want to learn more about this art.

OP
M

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Cool!! Looking forward to it!

Danjo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Warm-ups led by one of the senior students in the class. Class turned over to Main instructor. Combination drills with various combinations called out and repeated on both sides. Then on a technique night, we break into lines and work on various material depending on what Prof. Bishop wants us to work on. Could be Forms, grab arts, punch counters, knife or club counters etc. Or it could be drills that involve working off of a block after you've stepped off line to evade etc. where you fire various rapid-fire strikes that end in a take down and follow up on the ground. Could be "take-down" prevention and countering etc. etc. All depends. On sparring night, we put on the gear and do either continuous sparring for three minute rounds, Bull in the ring, two-on-one sparring, MMA freestyle, or (only if there's a point tournament coming up in a week or so) Point sparring. The last half hour is for purple belts and above and we work on more complex techniques etc. or techniques that the lower belts don't have yet.

There are other things we do also, but that's pretty typical.

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
Thanks, Danjo. Sounds like it really is akin to the Kempo I've experienced. I have a student who cross trains Kempo Kung Fu with me and Kajukenbo with another instructor in town. Boy, does he catch on fast! :)

Infinite: looking forward to your insights as they progress, too.

Danjo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Thanks, Danjo. Sounds like it really is akin to the Kempo I've experienced. I have a student who cross trains Kempo Kung Fu with me and Kajukenbo with another instructor in town. Boy, does he catch on fast! :)

Infinite: looking forward to your insights as they progress, too.

Yeah, class structure isn't going to look too different from style to style. It's what's taught and how etc. that is going to tell the difference. You can have two totally different MA's being taught and both are working on punch defenses etc. and both will come out looking totally different depending on what they are teaching.

loyalonehk

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Just wanted to add my .2C's...

Classes will vary. Kajukenbo has so much to offer that it is hard to be typical and have an expectation of what you will be doing in class but its all good... Never boring!

Some consistany in my classes have been:

1) If you want to stretch and warm up, come early. Do that on your time not the teachers. I dont need an 8th degree to teach me how to stretch. Been doing it since elementary school. If I have a question about specific stretching ideas, I know the door is always open. It is recomended that you show up to class early and warm up, stretch, etc. Often I will show up half hour to 45 mins early and take my motivators on a quick 1-3 mile run and do some Qi-Gong. Not mandatory. (Keep in mind 90% of my students are Active Duty Marines and/or Navy Corpsmen).

2) We will always have a time slot for "monkey line/line attacks" and/or "shark attack/emperado circle/bull in the ring", usually we do this during the last part of the class. It gives the student a chance to apply new material or polish old stuff. You can do any techniques you want and pound the heck out of each other...:ultracool

3) Stick around after class and talk story for a bit. Ohana Spirit, keeping up on whats happening and try to look out for each other in all areas of life. Thats Ohana!

Stay Progressive, Always...

OP
M

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Just wanted to add my .2C's...

Classes will vary. Kajukenbo has so much to offer that it is hard to be typical and have an expectation of what you will be doing in class but its all good... Never boring!

Some consistany in my classes have been:

1) If you want to stretch and warm up, come early. Do that on your time not the teachers. I dont need an 8th degree to teach me how to stretch. Been doing it since elementary school. If I have a question about specific stretching ideas, I know the door is always open. It is recomended that you show up to class early and warm up, stretch, etc. Often I will show up half hour to 45 mins early and take my motivators on a quick 1-3 mile run and do some Qi-Gong. Not mandatory. (Keep in mind 90% of my students are Active Duty Marines and/or Navy Corpsmen).

2) We will always have a time slot for "monkey line/line attacks" and/or "shark attack/emperado circle/bull in the ring", usually we do this during the last part of the class. It gives the student a chance to apply new material or polish old stuff. You can do any techniques you want and pound the heck out of each other...:ultracool

3) Stick around after class and talk story for a bit. Ohana Spirit, keeping up on whats happening and try to look out for each other in all areas of life. Thats Ohana!

Stay Progressive, Always...

Thanks for the reply!! Sounds like a good time!!:ultracool

Mike

Infinite

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Yes I need to actually go to class again :p

I've been to two but work sent me out of town so ... barring something bad at my physical tomorrow it is!

--Infy

Latest Discussions