Tests and Time In Grade

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought it would be interesting to hear what a typical belt test in Kaju is like. In addition, is there a standard for time in each belt?

Looking forward to hearing from our Kajukenbo members! :)

Mike

John Bishop

Master Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I thought it would be interesting to hear what a typical belt test in Kaju is like. In addition, is there a standard for time in each belt?

Looking forward to hearing from our Kajukenbo members! :)

Mike

I can't speak for the system as a whole, but the testing I do and have witnessesed other instructors doing is pretty similar to the tests I've seen in other arts.
The students start with a demonstration of their katas. Then they go on to "grab arts", "punch counters", "club counters", "knife counters", defenses against multiple man attacks, sparring or "bull in the ring", etc.
Techniques are always done against live attackers, not in the air.

As a example, the adult reqiuirements for "white-purple" belt (equilvilent to orange belt in other systems), would be "Palama Sets (forms) 14, 1,2,3, "Grab Arts" 1-7, "Punch Counters" 1-5, "Club Counters" 1 & 2, "Knife Counters" 1 & 2.

Testing time on average, is 6 months between lower belts. 1 year from green to brown, and 1 year from brown to student black. (There are no degrees of brown). Many traditional schools only test twice a year.
It's usually 4-6 years to student black. Traditionally, no one under 18 is promoted to black.