A thought about philosophy in the martial arts.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
A lot of us older guys say, "Shut up and just train" but it is not meant in a literal sense. And I do not believe any instructor on this forum minds questions at all. (or any instructor that I know)

But, you get a student every now and then that asks a lot of questions that he really doesn't care about. Usually to kiss up to the instructor. As an instructor, you answer them for a while, then lay that phrase on them. But if his work ethic (which is BIG) matches his curiosity, you just love it. If not, "shut up and train" said with a wink or in a friendly professional way, usually helps the both of you. Certainly saves a lot of valuable dojo time.

donald1

Senior Master
Reaction score
I don't remember you saying that, I particularly remember other people saying that. You might've said it, about shutting up and training, but there are some viewpoints expressed on these boards that students should hardly ever ask questions, even during breaks in between drills or before or after class. Basically, that a sensei should be a military DI.

Are you talking about a drill sergeant? And instructor should be strict because that helps the students. But I wouldn't go as far as drill instructor. There are many qualities a drill instructor reserves like respect, limit questions and keep them on topic, ect. Things that should also apply to a instructor but some things a drill sergeant will do that is better a instructor not to do

In one of my previous posts it must have gotten auto corrected it posted on topic and not interesting the teacher i intended on topic and not interrupting the teacher

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
A lot of us older guys say, "Shut up and just train" but it is not meant in a literal sense. And I do not believe any instructor on this forum minds questions at all. (or any instructor that I know)

Yup, there is the proof....I'm old :uhyeah:

But, you get a student every now and then that asks a lot of questions that he really doesn't care about. Usually to kiss up to the instructor. As an instructor, you answer them for a while, then lay that phrase on them. But if his work ethic (which is BIG) matches his curiosity, you just love it. If not, "shut up and train" said with a wink or in a friendly professional way, usually helps the both of you. Certainly saves a lot of valuable dojo time.

A few years back my Xingyi shifu was talking about standing in santi (while we were all standing in it, including him) and he said that if you have joint pain you need to tell me about it because I need adjust your posture....but if it is muscle pain, shut up, I don't want to hear it..... I cannot tell you how much I appreciate that attitude in martial arts... I actually find it refreshing....but then...as previously mentioned....I'm old :EG:

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
In this thread some people have been saying that Im trying to be right about stuff. As it is, what this thread is about and what philosophy is about more or less is opinion and point of view, so there is no right or wrong.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
In this thread some people have been saying that Im trying to be right about stuff. As it is, what this thread is about and what philosophy is about more or less is opinion and point of view, so there is no right or wrong.

Well, no... words have definitions, and if you're using the word "philosophy" in way that doesn't match the definition... you're wrong.

Shajikfer

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I suppose it depends what I am in the mood for. Do I want to get there quickly and expend energy, than I will. Do I want to drink in my surroundings, perhaps I would walk, though I suppose I could do that running or walking.

Given you are taught adequately, for the year or years it may take another to get their ranking, it may take you a fraction of the time to do so as well, or perhaps it will take you far longer.

Do what feels right at the time the option becomes available. That's when I fall back on intuition and it usually doesn't lead me too far off the beaten path.

Latest Discussions