A statement has me wondering...

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I've always found some of the most interesting people in the MAs when I travel, and seek out gyms/training groups that might accommodate me.

As a traveler in an unfamiliar gym I've learned a few things (not just technique, which was awesome as well):

-Learn. you're there not only to learn their training methods, but to learn the vibe of the gym you're visiting; sometimes, it's good to bring that vibe back to your home gym.

-Follow their rules/tradition, and don't openly compare their training style with your home training style; you're a visitor and you don't want to rock their boat. however, if the instructor asks, then it's okay.

-Represent. Being an annoying know-it-all while visiting another gym will ensure you won't get an invite on a future visit. Represent your home gym well by respecting the gym you're visiting. You're not just a MA student, you're a goodwill ambassador.

-Talk to the gym leader/head coach/etc prior to your visit. Explain your situation as a visitor, and make sure that they have enough room for you. Dropping by all of a sudden can cramp some peoples' style. Be respectful of another's time table. On the same note, research the quality/intensity of their training style. Coming from a little/no contact gym to a full contact, functional fighting gym might surprise all involved. Some places also ask for a drop-in fee. Make sure you're not a deadbeat and pay up for their time, as well as yours.

-Be friendly. Have fun. Support your MA.

-Upon returning to your home gym, bring up some interesting methods from your visit.

-Always call/write the instructor you visited and thank him/her for your experience. Extend an open invitation to your home gym if they're even in your neck of the woods.

My $.02

EXCELLENT post...This is exactally how I started out in the MA many years ago..

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Personally, I've always thought that was a little strange. I also think the idea that someone can "steal" students is somewhat warped.

I agree 100%..

People are going to train with whoever they want unless that instructor turns them down. No one can "steal" my students. If they choose to train with someone else, so be it.

If students are happy with you then NOTHING or NO ONE can get them to leave..

Same goes for "stealing" techniques or material. So what if someone comes in and learns a technique from me. Unless they put in the "dirt time" to develop that technique for themselves then it'll never amount to anything more than a parlor trick in their tool box - if it gains that much status.

Again I must agree..

Anyway ... I've rambled long enough :) I'll put my soap box back in the corner.

Mike

Bring it out anytime...I enjoy hearing from you...

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I travel with my uniform and gear all the time. I think nothing of walking into a school and sitting and watching. If I happen to be asked where I am from , if I study, would I like to join in I am always happy to work out. If someone walks into my school and wants to work out I ask who they are, where and what they study and with whom, if I like the answers I 'll usually ask them to study.
If I am a long ways from home I usually study on my own but have been known to introduce myself to a head instructor explaining that I am in need aof a place to work out and exercise for the night and respectfully ask if I may be allowed to work out with his class.

Latest Discussions