A Recent Datu Kelly Worden Interview

D

DoctorB

Originally posted by bloodwood
Just trying to avoid a troublesome thread from the past being thrown back into the mix.

Bloodwood

Bloodwood,

I asked a very specific question:

**I have read through Norshadow's original post several times. **Would you be so kind as to explain to me EXACTLY where, why **and how Norshadow was out of line?

Your response is a cop-out. You were assuming that a negative set of comments would follow. That was not necessarily the case. If it had happened, there were/are enough people on the forum to have ended it before it could go beyond a post or two. In additon stopping a negative set of posts is the job of the moderators. These people are more than capable of stepping forward if necessary.

Thanks for your reply anyways.

Jerome Barber, Ed.D.

Pappy Geo

Green Belt
Reaction score
Re: Datu Worden's article

Since it is portrayed in this thread that there is differences of opinion on the information provided in his article, why can't they be discussed in a civil manor rather than heated and aggressive responses. If the differences are discussed diplomatically we may all have the opportunity to learn and be educated on the history of this art. It appears like the seniors and Datu's have all had their own private personal relationship with the Grandmaster, been encouraged by the GM to think that they were special and they are. Titles are just that titles but skill and leadership will ultimately stand on its own.

As students we all have our loyalties as it should be, but still are we not all brothers in modern Arnis for better or worse? Instead of becoming so fractional lets discuss these differences and as SM Dan Anderson has indicated from his travels to the east and around the west coast that we have more in common and less differences than what is portrayed on the forums therefore lets discuss diplomatically the differences, achieve mutual respect and understanding and build relationships on our common ground.

This summer's Dr. Barber's first Symposium in the East and MARRPIO's second annual event in the West help build that mutual respect and bonding of the students and instructors together as extended family.

I personally have no agenda, nothing to prove for I am and will be a nobody, I am a student and a good friend of Datu Worden, adopted brother of Roland Dantes and MARRPIO, my loyalties lie there. I enjoy meeting folks in the art from all over the world and believe we all have something to share.

Lets put our cards on the table shuffle them around, share them and come up with winners!

D

DoctorB

Originally posted by Pappy Geo
Re: Datu Worden's article

Since it is portrayed in this thread that there is differences of opinion on the information provided in his article, why can't they be discussed in a civil manor rather than heated and aggressive responses. If the differences are discussed diplomatically we may all have the opportunity to learn and be educated on the history of this art. It appears like the seniors and Datu's have all had their own private personal relationship with the Grandmaster, been encouraged by the GM to think that they were special and they are. Titles are just that titles but skill and leadership will ultimately stand on its own.

As students we all have our loyalties as it should be, but still are we not all brothers in modern Arnis for better or worse? Instead of becoming so fractional lets discuss these differences and as SM Dan Anderson has indicated from his travels to the east and around the west coast that we have more in common and less differences than what is portrayed on the forums therefore lets discuss diplomatically the differences, achieve mutual respect and understanding and build relationships on our common ground.

This summer's Dr. Barber's first Symposium in the East and MARRPIO's second annual event in the West help build that mutual respect and bonding of the students and instructors together as extended family.

I personally have no agenda, nothing to prove for I am and will be a nobody, I am a student and a good friend of Datu Worden, adopted brother of Roland Dantes and MARRPIO, my loyalties lie there. I enjoy meeting folks in the art from all over the world and believe we all have something to share.

Lets put our cards on the table shuffle them around, share them and come up with winners!

Hello Pappy Geo,

I agree with your position. My question to Bloodwood has in effect gone unanswered. But that is the way it is and apparently will be. I also have to say that thre will not be a second Symposium put on by me. This was discussed early on in the first days of the idea being developed. My suggest was and still is, that this kind of program does not and should not be confined to a single area of the country, nor always hosted by the same person(s). If there is a second Symposium, I would like to be a presenter, not the host.

Jerome Barber, Ed.D.

Pappy Geo

Green Belt
Reaction score
Doc B

I wasn't trying to point fingers at especially you or anybody else just expressing an ol gray haired guy's opinion.

Hopefully you will have laid the groundwork and set the precedence for an annual event.

By the way, very good article in "Inside Kung Fu", nicely done!!!!!!!

Ps: you didn't answer me on the symposium thread about selling videos of the event?

D

DoctorB

Doc B

I wasn't trying to point fingers at especially you or anybody else just expressing an ol gray haired guy's opinion.

Hopefully you will have laid the groundwork and set the precedence for an annual event.

By the way, very good article in "Inside Kung Fu", nicely done!!!!!!!

Ps: you didn't answer me on the symposium thread about selling videos of the event?

Hi Pappy Geo,

I understood that you were not making any references to me.
We have enough grey hair between us to resolve most problems in a sane and considerate manner. Any outstanding differences would be minor and we are both smart enough to leave them alone as unfinished business, because agreement on every matter is impossible.

I am hopeful that I am laying the groundwork for a lot of conversation and sharing without the angst of youth and self pride. The Symposium is a one shot deal for me as the organizer. I have said it too often to back away from it. I really do want to attend the next one, take my turn as a presenter, move around to other venues and learn from some other people, even the younger guys with darker hair than our own.

Thanks for the compliment on the Inside Kung Fu article. I just saw it this afternoon and I am very pleased with the photo that the editors chose of Professor. Very classy.

I didn't answer you because I have not read your post, but one of my guys just alerted me to it a few minutes ago. I will read it and answer tomorrow. I still have a couple of contacts to make on that issue.

Sincerely,

Jerome Barber, Ed.D.

D

DoctorB

Doc B

Oh yeah, from that article I know what you look like now!

Nope, not me in the photo. It is a IKF file photo of Professor.
I did not want to submit any photos since all of mine have one or more people in the image with Professor. The goal of the article was to set a tone that the Symposium is an open event and there are not favorites. I really did enjoy seeing that photo and I believe that it helps to capture my intentions with regard to what the Symposium is all about. Coming together to share, exchange, dialogue and explore.

Jerome Barber, Ed.D.

Pappy Geo

Green Belt
Reaction score
Sorry Doc, that is an photo of younger professor, before my time anyway, so I didn't recognize him. I only new him in the last 5 years of his life and of course in Victoria at the hospital and nursing home and sadly looked much differently.

OP
N

norshadow1

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by DoctorB
Bloodwood,

I asked a very specific question:

**I have read through Norshadow's original post several times. **Would you be so kind as to explain to me EXACTLY where, why **and how Norshadow was out of line?

Jerome Barber, Ed.D.

Hey There DocB,

Thanks for trying to get an answer, but it seems that nothing has come from your inquiry. I have laid out for awhile hoping to allow this whole thing to pass. Nothing to be gained since quite, reasoned discourse is not favored on this forum.

The facts seem to be unchanged regarding the idea that Datu Kelly Worden, PG Tom Bolden, PG Billy Bryant, PG Doug Pierre and yourself were among, if not the first Modern Arnis people to be recognized by ay an outside organization for honors back in 1993 and 1994.

This not being disrespectful toward any other Modern Arnis instructors, because there have been several who were recognized in the late 1990's and beyond. Nor does this earlier set of awards invalidate those awards gained later by others.

My point then and still is that PG Bolden, PG Pierre and yourself will be at the symposium and that you all have received a very well deserved acknowledgement from Datu Worden. This would seem to indicate that the quality of instruction at the Modern Arnis Sympoium will be of the highest quality. Therefore, I am of the opinion that people should make every effort to attend... IF they are interested in seeing varied approaches to Modern Arnis from senior people who studied under Profesor Presas.

Your article in the July 2003 issue of Inside Kung Fu is excellent. No negative statements or put-downs were made. I like the fact that you stated that the symposium presenters "...cuts across nearly all factional lines within the art." That is a beautiful statement of fact, yet you avoided raising or lowering any group in relationship to another. That is a very positive and diplomatic presentation.

I also liked the way you phrased another statement in the article.
"These people (the instructors) have agreed that showing the diversity and variety that developed within modern arnis is the best thing that could be done toshow our collective respect for the late founder and grandmaster as well as the art that he created."

Very well stated, DocB. Thanks for writing that article. A public policy statement such as yours puts the whole symposium idea into clear perspective. The symposium is about the art and the people who study the art. And the article title is as good as it gets and says everything in just four words - "Meeting of Arnis Minds".

Congratulations.

Lamont

Dan Anderson

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Originally posted by norshadow1
Hey There DocB,

1) Nothing to be gained since quite, reasoned discourse is not favored on this forum.

The facts seem to be unchanged regarding the idea that Datu Kelly Worden, PG Tom Bolden, PG Billy Bryant, PG Doug Pierre and yourself were among, if not the first Modern Arnis people to be recognized by ay an outside organization for honors back in 1993 and 1994.

2) My point then and still is that PG Bolden, PG Pierre and yourself will be at the symposium and that you all have received a very well deserved acknowledgement from Datu Worden. This would seem to indicate that the quality of instruction at the Modern Arnis Sympoium will be of the highest quality.
Lamont

Lamont,
Gotta take issue with you on a couple of points. #1 is a bit of a blanket statement and doesn't apply to all threads and forums here. This one got a bit out of alignment but many others haven't.

2) What??? You left me out amongst the acks? Re-read the article again where he has the list. "Fredo, you broke my heart." :( :rofl: That'll cost you at least two beers at the Sympo.

Yours in sadness,
Dan

OP
N

norshadow1

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Dan Anderson
Lamont,
Gotta take issue with you on a couple of points. #1 is a bit of a blanket statement and doesn't apply to all threads and forums here. This one got a bit out of alignment but many others haven't.

2) What??? You left me out amongst the acks? Re-read the article again where he has the list. "Fredo, you broke my heart." :( :rofl: That'll cost you at least two beers at the Sympo.

Yours in sadness,
Dan

Dear Sir,

It's ok to disagree about point #1. I stand by my statement of opinion. Statement #2 is not open to discussion, because you are correct, I did leave you out - neglectful error, would you accept three beers? Not that I can afford to by 6 beers, but you are my senior and hero so making a small sacrifice is in order.

With Best Wishes for a safe trip to the "Sympo".

Lamont

OP
N

norshadow1

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by norshadow1
Dear Sir,

It's ok to disagree about point #1. I stand by my statement of opinion. Statement #2 is not open to discussion, because you are correct, I did leave you out - neglectful error, would you accept three beers? Not that I can afford to buy 6 beers, but you are my senior and hero so making a small sacrifice is in order.

With Best Wishes for a safe trip to the "Sympo".

Lamont

Latest Discussions