Datu Kelly Worden Seminar at Modern Arnis of Ohio

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Andrew Evans said:
Sheryl and I were at her high school reunion and if I mentioned which year, she'd probably kick my ... If it wasn't for that, we would have been there. I also would have liked my family to meet Brian Johns (great guy).

Anyway, I'm glad that those who never trained with Datu Kelly Worden before had a chance to experience his amazing skills. I am glad that his seminar was well-received. (I have trained with many excellent instructors and feel that Datu is one of the best martial arts instructors of our time.)

Thanks to Dan McConnell for bringing out an excellent instructor to the Midwest.

Take care,

Andrew from the Land of Oz

Andrew tell Sheryl that I believe you when it was her 10 year reunion, and she graduated early :) :D

D

Datu Kelly S. Worden

Looks good for an additional seminar in Ohio, unofficially we have not set a specific date as of yet but the plan seems to be setting a date that would be close to 4 or 5 months apart from the Dan McConnell seminar dates. That would be a different group of practitioners who attended the seminar a couple weeks ago and now have expressed interest in joining the NSI group. What is cool is they already receive Modern Arnis training with Dan McConnell so it will offer a solid connection for expanding the NSI curriculum. In addition to the stick work the main interest is in the contents and applications of the Anyo as demonstrated at the seminar. Also the progressive link into Jesse Glover's Non Classical Gung Fu that I covered. Like everything I teach it is modified to blend with Modern Arnis and other systems.
Good new regarding the Water and Steel camp this year, several of the Ohio seminar participants will be making the trek into the Pacific NW to attend the 25th Annual Camp.
I would like to thank Andrew Evans for adding some positive comments regarding the training during seminars. Andrew is a dedicated Modern Arnis/Kajukenbo practitioner who over the last few years has made NSI an increasingly important addition into his instructional format.

Looking forward to my next trip back East, so many skilled practitioners from different systems make the experience a true pleasure. I'm kinda like "Mr. T" when it comes to Air Travel, so I choose my destinations carefully and for the most part maintain the home base gym instead of traveling.

Rich did you have a couple questions?

Datu Kelly
www.kellyworden.com

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Datu Kelly S. Worden said:
Rich did you have a couple questions?

Yes, I did thank you.

In your staff work, and I will use my terminology sometimes for it helps me express my points so I apologize in advance if there is any misunderstandings.

In the first techniques you had the first four strikes to parry, in particular the high line from the right side of your body. I believe you called it number one. This strike was met with force and then you continued your path and parried the staff down and around. This was followed up with your techniques.

Later on the linear strikes, I think 5, 7 & 8, I could be wrong so please excuse, you mentioned a specific way to parry, to avoid the opponent from doing a "Left Cross" type strike with the other end of the staff. What I saw was that you ended up moving the opponent ended up with their lead or high hand across their body.

I went back and looked at the first four strikes again, which I think of as circular, and saw that this rule or guideline was not followed, from what you taught which I understand is a limited selection. To follow this rule you had to meet the strike and and the drop your tip and slip or pass his staff across your body with a back hand type of motion. This allows for the rule to be applied in all the strikes. Yet, I see that this would require a much higher level of skill and timing, to execute.

I see this as a learning progression, where you could or might execute the rule there as well if you had the skill and timing.

1) So is it an option to express the rule in all situations for all strikes?

2) I see where the first techinique taught allows for this rule to not be executed, as the counter by the opponent is easily countered with your own intended follow-up. So is this sufficient, and if it is just for beginners or, for all levels.

I play with the staff my self, and I have only FMA training and only my Modern Arnis would be applicable to the staff on the surface, yet, I by no means consider myself an expert in the staff. Hence my questions to some one else who has also trained, and even taught.

Thank you and best regards

D

Datu Kelly S. Worden

Yes, I did thank you.

In your staff work, and I will use my terminology sometimes for it helps me express my points so I apologize in advance if there is any misunderstandings.

In the first techniques you had the first four strikes to parry, in particular the high line from the right side of your body. I believe you called it number one. This strike was met with force and then you continued your path and parried the staff down and around. This was followed up with your techniques.

That’s correct Rich, 1 thru 4 strikes target the four corners and are patterned High, low, low, high, or head, knee, knee, head. The system can be instructed either right lead hand or left lead hand and that changes the pattern numbering order, real simple stuff. Most of the targeting can be arranged in sinawali sets for Power generation, target recognition, body dynamics, line relationship, style clarifications for postures and different energies. Some techniques are for power development, others are to teach movement dynamics

Later on the linear strikes, I think 5, 7 & 8,

Linear lines I refer to as centerline targeting, # 5 is an overhead, # 6 is a right tip thrust, # 7 is an upward groin swing Left tip,,, all focusing on centerline striking targets,, to continue # 8 is a right tip strike to the opponents left ribcage or elbow area, # 9 is the opposite side, and # 10 is a left tip thrust to the throat or facial region.

I could be wrong so please excuse, you mentioned a specific way to parry, to avoid the opponent from doing a "Left Cross" type strike with the other end of the staff. What I saw was that you ended up moving the opponent ended up with their lead or high hand across their body.

I refer to this as closing the centerline, their right attack is passed much like palis palis with a circular energy downward on the first set of passing taught for high line attacks, and upward passing for low line attacks,, match right to right and left to left, that changes in later sets to be a smaller more direct path with out adhesive attachment to the opponents staff. The attachment is taught in the first set to share the connection to Palis palis specifically and relate to stick work, also to make the connection to single sinawali energy and passin, this teaches the wrist locks, arm bars, and head throws all from this initial circle relationship,,, again simplified stuff…all closing the center line

I went back and looked at the first four strikes again, which I think of as circular, and saw that this rule or guideline was not followed,

But it was followed!,,,, specifically to close their centerline, not your centerline,,, it opens our centerline to provide dominate position with right or left hand positional control,,, their position is limited to only spinning if their centerline is closed. the hand smash, the potential poke in the face assures dominate position, potentially during the transition and initial action if not dominated the aggressor has a small window, very small for counter,,,…and yes it is definitely circular…

from what you taught which I understand is a limited selection.

Correct the staff was only covered for about an hour,, hardly enough time to instruct all variables,,, but I did receive a great deal of positive comments after the seminar, e-mails, and telephone calls regarding the sibat material,,, the Advanced staff set also was extremely well received...

, To follow this rule you had to meet the strike and and the drop your tip and slip or pass his staff across your body with a back hand type of motion. This allows for the rule to be applied in all the strikes.

Also correct, but depending on if you create a specific side forward or a centrally balanced stance with pivoting to shift lead positions no centerline domination is violated by the individual executing the pass,,

Yet, I see that this would require a much higher level of skill and timing, to execute.

Compared to just hitting someone with the staff it is a higher level of development,, That would be the goal, to develop skill, adapt to different styles, establish variable option with minimal maneuvers, in this regard the staff becomes a teaching tool for concepts, concepts that lead to universal body dynamics that relate to boxing, wrestling, small circle Ju Jitsu, wing chun, arnis, and other systems,,, of course if I was only teaching “beat him ‘witt a bigger stick” I would teach a different method of directness and not focus on conceptual awareness with diversity of movement. Sometimes that is necessary, specifically when I teach a 3 or 4 foot riot staff to Prison Guards who need simple direct strikes and have no foundation in martial arts theory or understand style variables, more emphasis is placed on center shaft pressing and a herding style of striking,,, different game but worth clarify the distinction for you…

I see this as a learning progression, where you could or might execute the rule there as well if you had the skill and timing.

Skill, timing, desire to accomplish more with less effort in the long run,,, take the same pass with a staff and now teach it as a palis palis with the stick, knife, empty hand, Kama, travel wrench,, the big difference is you will not just pass the attack with single hand energy, with the dynamics of the staff relationship “total body dynamics are unified and implemented” this creates a smooth body movement equaled by few techniques in such a short time or repetitions. Empty handed the movements mimic that of a silat positional control dialed in a such a close range multiple body attachments smother the aggressor,,, that’s if you choose to research the relationship of movement,,, there again some cannot make the connection or choose to look past what a technique offers at face value,,,

1) So is it an option to express the rule in all situations for all strikes?

Options are variables for intent, what is the intent of your actions, to control or to destroy, both? Then where are you trying to place the aggressor? At a different angle relative to body shielding against another potential aggressor? It all becomes relative, Do I want to bind his options to counter attack me, or just position him, control him, destroy his base, or knock him out,,, relating to earlier strategies, single direct attack, attack by draw, attack by combination, immobilization attack, or progressive indirect attack,,, and yes it becomes your option,,,

2) I see where the first techinique taught allows for this rule to not be executed, as the counter by the opponent is easily countered with your own intended follow-up. So is this sufficient, and if it is just for beginners or, for all levels.

When instructing conceptual martial theory there is little distinction drawn between beginning and advance practitioners, the depth of comprehension is clarified by how many variables the individual can apply when the information is shared, how many connection can be made and from what martial system or energy.. An advanced player sometimes can be more difficult to share concepts with, they need to be re-educated compared to the individual with an empty cup just absorbing what is useful,,, Bruce lee’s second student the late Ed Hart explained as such,,, “ the beauty of children is they have not been adulterated, they just accept things as they are and continue to grow!” Simple thoughts lead to complex development,,, There is an old audio interview with Ed hart at www.kellyworden.com in the radio show archives,,,

I play with the staff my self, and I have only FMA training and only my Modern Arnis would be applicable to the staff on the surface,

How could that be? The staff is the most universal of all tools for movement relationship, just change wrist positions and few techniques are not evident,,,

yet, I by no means consider myself an expert in the staff. Hence my questions to some one else who has also trained, and even taught.
The correlation from staff or sibat to Modern Arnis and connecting the systems to other arts is one of the main attributes that lead Professor Presas to appointing me to Datu of Modern Arnis,, so I believe it is also a tool that will enhance anyone’s comprehension and add depth to all aspects in training, to strength, body dynamics, range comprehension, speed development, fluidity in movement, diversity of weapon usage and so much more,,,

Thank you and best regards

You are most welcome, I hope some of the information serves to be valuable in your personal development…

Datu Kelly
( I wrote this in my word perfect format and some of the font's came up different here at the forum,,, sorry if it is difficut to read, I'll get the hang of things hopefully soon,,, )

Latest Discussions