A question for those in the Study....historical military analysis?

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
One of my original goals for this section was to be able to look at military history, the weapons, tactics and strategies, and put them under the microscope. My thinking here is to take a battle, a war, an era, a piece of hardware, and rethink, replan, and in some cases maybe even refight the battles.

My question is, is there any interest in doing something like this?

mrhnau

Senior Master
Reaction score
One of my original goals for this section was to be able to look at military history, the weapons, tactics and strategies, and put them under the microscope. My thinking here is to take a battle, a war, an era, a piece of hardware, and rethink, replan, and in some cases maybe even refight the battles.

My question is, is there any interest in doing something like this?

Give it a try... My only concern is that individuals may not have the intimacy with individual battles, events, etc that might be required for participation in specific battle/war discussions. Weapon discussions, ubiquitous hardware discussion might be insightful...

refight battles? in what manner?

airdawg

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Love the idea. what good is history if we don't study and learn from it?

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Theres a number of rules sets floating around for various era / unit size war gaming that might be of use for those who want to work out some scenarios. I'm not looking at war gaming per say, but a more in depth tactical analysis.

An example might be that the idea of a flanking attack in battle X would have worked, but could the men and equipment have been able to do the maneuver? Or, another idea would be looking at the capabilities of 17th century swords and amour, and then tying that into techniques from modern martial arts systems, looking at where it was then, and why, and how it has changed and adapted to meet modern needs.

airdawg

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Give it a try... My only concern is that individuals may not have the intimacy with individual battles, events, etc that might be required for participation in specific battle/war discussions. Weapon discussions, ubiquitous hardware discussion might be insightful...

refight battles? in what manner?

Any info is a google, or yahoo search away.

mrhnau

Senior Master
Reaction score
Any info is a google, or yahoo search away.

however, serious study into even a single battle can take a while. Everyone willing to take hours of research/study to get involved in a discussion?

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thats kinda my intent.

The idea came back to me the other night while watching a history channel special on historical european weapons, how they worked, how they were used, and how they were defeated.

JasonASmith

Black Belt
Reaction score
I'd be interested, but it might take me a while to go through the background materials for a specific conflict because of constraints on my time(family and KARATE)
The American Civil War has always been a favorite subject of mine, but I'm willing to go over just about anything....

OUMoose

Trying to find my place
Reaction score
I think the concept is interesting, but might involve a significant amount of research (more than your average forum troll is willing to put in). Given the length and complexity of some of the threads here in the study though, I'm sure there are some that would enjoy it.

As mrhnau said, Give it a try. :)

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Recommendation... create a seperate err forum or a side of the study dedicated to this so it doesn't get lost in the shuffle... kinda like the Urasai Bar and Grill is a side-bar of the Locker Room. :D Just a thawt.

Latest Discussions