A message to moderators and members.

SensibleManiac

Black Belt
Reaction score
Looking at alot of the posts here on Martial Talk I've discovered something I tend to see in alot of other Forums.
People with nothing to say.
I notice that alot of the discussion posts are about heresay. Furthermore there's alot of negativity, mostly coming from people who probably don't even train in the martial arts.
Most of it is that this art or that art wouldn't work. Or this Teacher or that teacher have been in some mess or another, (they rarely specify exactly what or why) and that since then they have lost or are in the process of losing all their students.
It seems that almost no positive or progressive information is offered on these sites.
My message is to Moderators and members alike to start posting with a higher standard. Both of yourselves and your writing.
If you have something to say against an art or teacher how about substantiating it with verifiable FACTS. And how about having a positive point to what you're saying.
How about we ALL start spending our time online more productively?

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Interestingly enough, compared to the other forums I've been on, I've found MT and it's affiliates to be the most positive, supportive, and informative forum of it's type. On the other hand, there will be people who say otherwise, who will focus solely on the relatively rare negative posts, or who have the bad luck to find those few negative posts on their first visit.

I am quite curious, however, if you find this forum "unproductive", why you chose to join?

mrhnau

Senior Master
Reaction score
I think I'll take a stab at this.

Looking at alot of the posts here on Martial Talk I've discovered something I tend to see in alot of other Forums.
Then say something. Being that this is your first post, what kind of impression are you offering?

I notice that alot of the discussion posts are about heresay. Furthermore there's alot of negativity, mostly coming from people who probably don't even train in the martial arts.
Most of it is that this art or that art wouldn't work. Or this Teacher or that teacher have been in some mess or another, (they rarely specify exactly what or why) and that since then they have lost or are in the process of losing all their students.
It seems that almost no positive or progressive information is offered on these sites.
Simply put, there is alot of this type of discussion in the martial arts. Lots of "he said, she said" stuff. Lots of heresay. I'm not suprised that happens here too.
My message is to Moderators and members alike to start posting with a higher standard. Both of yourselves and your writing.
If you have something to say against an art or teacher how about substantiating it with verifiable FACTS. And how about having a positive point to what you're saying.
There is a reason there is alot of heresay in martial arts. Your precious "FACTS" are often very hard to verify. I can't go back 200 years and interview some old master. Nor does training with someone verify their claims. Even masters/scholars differ on opinions. Thats part of it. Just because someone has a different philosophy or style does not disqualify them their independent voice, at least not here.

Want us to spend our time online more productively. OK, sure. Please inform how your post is making MT a better place? Why not provide some of this "positive, progressive and verifiable FACT" so we can all enjoy it? I will state though, considering that your first post was nothing but negative, people will consider your forthcoming posts quite critically.

Hand Sword

Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In the Void (Where still, this merciless GOD torme

oooookaaaaayyyyy.....well.... welcome to Martial Talk!
icon10.gif

I agree and as is an everyday thing...it all starts by looking at the person in the mirror. Follow your own advice and set an example.

Kembudo-Kai Kempoka

Senior Master
Reaction score
Feel free to lead by example.

Looking forward to your next posts meaningful contribution to the specifics of martial development,

Dave

The Master

Bow Before Me.
Reaction score
An interesting and somewhat true statement, to a degree.

As forums grow, the signal to noise ratio changes. Also, trolls and critics and know nothing busy bodies move in. This site does a better job that a few others I could name (but won't since it's against policy) at funneling chat to certain areas.

Also, after almost a decade in operation, some topics just get played out and tired, and fall into the archives. Searching, you'll find good content. You have to remember too, this site is open to all levels, from the beginner to the serious, so the quality will be mixed.

Of course, more in-depth serious and professional discussion is always welcome, without the venom and ill will often found on other sites. The search for the indepth and serious is ongoing, and a standard I try to hold myself to always.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Of course, more in-depth serious and professional discussion is always welcome, without the venom and ill will often found on other sites..

Well said Master...

Yeti

Black Belt
Reaction score
Interestingly enough, compared to the other forums I've been on, I've found MT and it's affiliates to be the most positive, supportive, and informative forum of it's type. On the other hand, there will be people who say otherwise, who will focus solely on the relatively rare negative posts, or who have the bad luck to find those few negative posts on their first visit.

I am quite curious, however, if you find this forum "unproductive", why you chose to join?

I agree with Kacey.
If you don't like what you see, why join?
If there's enough here that you do like, instead of using a negative tone to say that "...almost no positive or progressive information is offered...", why not lead by example and start threads that you feel would provide progressive information. Your profile says you train MMA...jump into that forum and have at it.

You must have spent a lot of time reading all the posts on this forum to develop an opinion that, on the whole, this forum is filled with negativity - but I wonder exactly how many and which posts you read that led you to that decision. While there will always be some degree of negativity and a "my dad is better than your dad" attitude from some folks, the vast majority of posts that I've read and/or been involved with since I joined this forum in (2005) have been quite positive - even when people disagree about the subject at hand.

jim777

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Well, the original post was certainly a positive and enlightening waste of 15 seconds! :D
I think this is a great site, and I've seen many, many instances of posters making very sure the things they say are backed up with facts, and firsthand knowledge where that is possible. I've seen very little time given to hearsay, and I've seen many people be extremely respectful of arts other than their own, and to practioners they don't know as well. The respect on post 1 level here is extremely high. I don't know where you've wandered over from, but I have to say I'm a bit curious now, in that it has evidently contributed to your poor impression of this site.

jim

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome to MartialTalk and I think you will find this forum to be geared towards friendly and informative conversation. There is a lot that you can learn here and offer if you so choose. Good luck.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well I for one dis-agree with wha you are saying first off this place is tamed compared to other forums. We have some of the best people that train in various arts so if you would like a intelligent converstation about techniques lets talk, if not join us in the lounge for drinks and BS.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Excellent points all round, ladies and gentlemen, I choose to highlight this small fragment because it's the thought that occurred to me first (well that and wondering if my katana are still effective versus cough ... cough ... trolls ... cough ... in these enlightened times).

Sorry, couldn't help myself there - not a very productive contribution really, other than a nod in the direction of the aim of the first post :lol:.

Perhaps I had better re- read Handswords advice "it all starts by looking at the person in the mirror" - so very true my friend.

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
I don't want to contribute anything that might substantiate a claim of negativity, but my first thought was, give some examples to back up such sweeping condemnation--at least, tell us a specific thread (so no one person is singled out). But as HS and Suke have said, I don't mind taking a hard look in the mirror, too. I can always get better.

bluemtn

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well, this site is certainly more positive and more "entertaining" (a lot more posts, etc.) than at least one other forum that I can name right now. And before you can even hint at it, I'm not just saying that because I'm a moderator and trying to convince others of what I say. I'm a moderator because of the fact that this site is and has been so positive since before I joined, which was 3 years ago. I want to help support something that is a positive influence for others. Sure, there are a few on here that aren't martial artists, but that's fine- this place is a "friendly discussion forum," which I take it as being everyone is welcome to come and join in the conversations.

Now, as a moderator or mentor, we strive to keep the flame wars down, trolls held at bay, and good topics flowing, all with the help also with our regular posters. Sure, we get a few in here that aren't so positive or contributing, but we aren't going to kick them out just because of those reasons. Feel free to refer to our "terms of service" to get a feel of what is acceptable here.

With all that said, however, I want to say welcome and happy posting.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm just here for the nuts.

:)

ok, seriously, you will find alot of casual discussion. We're more laid back than alot of boards, but I think if you dig, you'll find some very intense discussions. Right now, we're undergoing a major reorganization, and will be emphasizing more of a focus on solid and serious discussions. We're also going to stay as warm and fuzzy as we have been too, since that is what got us this far. :)

So, start or join some serious topics and lets really dig into things in depth. :)

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
This site does a better job that a few others I could name (but won't since it's against policy)

That makes me wonder, Why? Are those other sites more attractive than this one somehow?

The search for the indepth and serious is ongoing, and a standard I try to hold myself to always.
Yup.

As to why the o.p. joined, I don't know...but if he is trying to raise the level of the site, that's great. Just as criticizing one's country isn't treason, criticizing one's web site can also be intended as constructive.

Makes sense to me.

Welcome aboard, dude! Start something serious and see what happens!

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
That makes me wonder, Why? Are those other sites more attractive than this one somehow

I am a member of a few of the "other" sites under different names, and I cannot recall the last time I visited them willingly..One I have been back to since my 3rd post...This IS the place to be..

Latest Discussions