A little tired

WaterGal

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Is your sahbum the owner of the school you teach at? If he is, you need to do what he says. Don't teach something else just because you don't want to change. If you don't like what he wants to teach, than go somewhere else. I'm not trying to be mean when I say that, but I think you should find a place that teaches what you're interested in, and not fight with your teacher.

But if you're teaching on your own, at a gym or something like that, teach whatever you want. Personally I like sport TKD, I think it's fun and exciting, but if you don't and it's your class, do what you want.

Edit: I read your other thread after this. It looks like you won't be able to stay with your sahbum anyway. So maybe it's a good time to try a new martial art or a new teacher?

Last edited:

Rumy73

Black Belt
Reaction score
Manny, I never liked the sport side of tkd. As a guy in his 40s, spinning and jumping poses a risk of injury. I prefer good traditional training, mixing a variety of low to high kicks but also solid punches, blocks and good footwork. Plus, no offense to anyone, but I am tired of all the kiddies.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I am tired of sport TKD, very tired of children and teens going only for the sport and not taking care of the martial art.
TKD is not the only one. Just look at wrestler's wresting posture. When people play with "sport rule", it moves away from the true "combat".

It's very funny that all MA are supposed to be for "combat". Many years ago, someone made it into "sport". Today, people have to change it back into "combat". Is that a big joke or not?

wrestling2z.jpg

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I prefer good traditional training, mixing a variety of low to high kicks but also solid punches, blocks and good footwork.

In another "how to master high kicks" thread. People wanted to talk about how to train high kicks. People don't want to talk about the risk by throwing a high kick. In "sport", your opponent is not allowed to catch your kick. I assume if one stays in his area of "sport", there will be a lot of thing that he doesn't have to worry about.

If you build up bad habit in "sport", you then have to spend time to remove it in "combat", that's not good.

Rumy73

Black Belt
Reaction score
In another "how to master high kicks" thread. People wanted to talk about how to train high kicks. People don't want to talk about the risk by throwing a high kick. In "sport", your opponent is not allowed to catch your kick. I assume if one stays in his area of "sport", there will be a lot of thing that he doesn't have to worry about.

If you build up bad habit in "sport", you then have to spend time to remove it in "combat", that's not good.

Very wise and sensible advice.

Thousand Kicks

Green Belt
Reaction score
As with a lot of things in life, it's about balance. The sport aspect of TKD is what draws in a lot of people. They see the youtube videos of matches and demos and it all looks very cool. It is up to the instructor and senior students to show the martial half.

It doesn't have to be sport versus martial/traditional. It can be both.

For us long time practicioners; we also have to realize that things change and evolve. Just like we don't build cars the same way as 50 years ago, we don't have to train the same way as 50 years ago. I'm sure if you thought about how you trained and what your goals were when you were a white belt versus now it would be like night and day.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
As with a lot of things in life, it's about balance. The sport aspect of TKD is what draws in a lot of people. They see the youtube videos of matches and demos and it all looks very cool. It is up to the instructor and senior students to show the martial half.

For us long time practicioners; we also have to realize that things change and evolve. Just like we don't build cars the same way as 50 years ago, we don't have to train the same way as 50 years ago. I'm sure if you thought about how you trained and what your goals were when you were a white belt versus now it would be like night and day.

Can't argue with this... even if nothing else had changed, it's certainly true that there are a lot less injuries these days. I don't recall using pads for sparring until the mid- to late-70's.
It did teach you how to get blood out of your dobak, though...

OP
Manny

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
Manny, I never liked the sport side of tkd. As a guy in his 40s, spinning and jumping poses a risk of injury. I prefer good traditional training, mixing a variety of low to high kicks but also solid punches, blocks and good footwork. Plus, no offense to anyone, but I am tired of all the kiddies.

I feel exactly the same as you do, I'am 46 years old I don't like overemphazis on flanboyant/trickyy kicks, my TKD consist of solid punches, good solid kicks and some footwork, and I am not tired about the kids but I am tired of kidie oriented clases, we adults study TKD because of meaning good exercise, stress relieve and self defense pourposes or because tkd is a beautiful martial art but the majority of adult people soes not want only kicking clases or sport oriented clases.

Manny

OP
Manny

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score

Yeah but remeber there are a lot of guys who love + 50 years built cars that now are truly classic!! There are a lot of vintaga cars club and even there are some races that only allow the use of vintage cars....

Manny

donald1

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yeah but remeber there are a lot of guys who love + 50 years built cars that now are truly classic!! There are a lot of vintaga cars club and even there are some races that only allow the use of vintage cars....

Manny

And would also pay a lot for a vintage car too if still in good condition

I don't know hardly anything about vintage cars, the only time I see a vintage car is when I'm at my grandpa's 1969 ford Mustang but I do know that most old cars are all metal and most new cars are fiber glass, if a new fiber glass car hit a all metal car they would know it

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't know hardly anything about vintage cars, the only time I see a vintage car is when I'm at my grandpa's 1969 ford Mustang but I do know that most old cars are all metal and most new cars are fiber glass, if a new fiber glass car hit a all metal car they would know it

Completely off topic, but the reality is that the fact that modern cars are damaged so easily is a Good Thing (tm) and entirely intentional.
Every little bit of kinetic energy absorbed by the body of the car is that much less to be absorbed by the passengers in that car. Seatbelts, Air Bags and crumple zones are good. I can say without any reservation that not only do we see less deaths from traffic accidents, but the severity of the injuries is also much less.
It's a lot easier to replace a car than a family member.

Manny, in the past you've taken breaks from your TKD training and studied Kenpo and Aikido (unless memory fails me - which is entirely possible). Is there any reason not to return to one of those schools, if you're taking another break from TKD?

OP
Manny

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
Completely off topic, but the reality is that the fact that modern cars are damaged so easily is a Good Thing (tm) and entirely intentional.
Every little bit of kinetic energy absorbed by the body of the car is that much less to be absorbed by the passengers in that car. Seatbelts, Air Bags and crumple zones are good. I can say without any reservation that not only do we see less deaths from traffic accidents, but the severity of the injuries is also much less.
It's a lot easier to replace a car than a family member.

Manny, in the past you've taken breaks from your TKD training and studied Kenpo and Aikido (unless memory fails me - which is entirely possible). Is there any reason not to return to one of those schools, if you're taking another break from TKD?

Yes I can have a breakday and return to kenpo karate, I've been talking this with wife and she advises me to return kenpo karate I have very good friends there.

Manny

OP
Manny

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
Firsth thing firsth!! I have to get my 3rd dan black belt in a few weeks, then sambonim will talk with his staff and with the parents and we have to wait for sabonim plans, if the plans are not sound to me then I will have to think abou the future.

Manny

Latest Discussions