A little Confused...

Matt Stone

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Originally posted by akja
I would also think that uncle sam wants their boys to be healthy and have made decisions scientifically.

Or not.

The body fat percentage determination method currently in use is, by the Army's own admission, outdated and obsolete. They continue to use it because "they always have," and because changing the method currently in use would amount to an admission that it is inaccurate. This would result in untold thousands of appeals for separations due to overweight/over body fat, costing the Army far more than it cares to spend.

Bottom line, the system is based on very old ideas of health, but is extremely low in cost (a tape measure and a pencil), so they will keep things as they are.

Don't give Uncle Sam quite so much credit for always having the most honorable intentions in what he does or doesn't do. He makes decisions for a lot of reasons, and very often cost is a major consideration.

Gambarimasu.
:asian:

pesilat

3rd Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Yiliquan1
Don't give Uncle Sam quite so much credit for always having the most honorable intentions in what he does or doesn't do. He makes decisions for a lot of reasons, and very often cost is a major consideration.

Gambarimasu.
:asian:

*** Note: the following is partially tongue-in-cheek ***
LOL. Yup. Something to remember, a government (any government), really, is structurally a very large business. The army, then, is like a division of that business. Decisions are, generally, made according to how they affect the "bottom line." The bottom line isn't just money, though money certainly plays a factor. Basically, whether you're talking in monetary terms or some other type of currency, the bottom line boils down to "getting the most for the least."

This concept can be applied to expenses, but can also be applied to clout, prestige, etc.

Also, the military is a form of bureaucracy and, as such, even if they decided to change the method of testing, it would take another decade for it to be implemented.

Seriously, though, I have nothing but respect for the military as a whole and the men and women who serve. I think the military serves an important function. But change tends to happen, at least for most things, very slowly and reluctantly in the military.

Mike

Zepp

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The woods of Marin County, California, USA
Allow me to add my own experiences from within my organization to this disscussion:

For reference, I'm 5'7", 135 lbs., and in my class I am probably the fastest 1st dan (not neccessarily the most skilled, but fastest).

About 7 months ago or so I went to a gathering of black and senior brown belts of our style and had an opportunity to see many of the instructors and the "masters" (5th and 6th dans honored for their teaching ability) in action. A few of them are chiseled like rocks, but most everyone at 4th dan and above seem to have developed large sympathy bellies when their wives were pregnant and never lost them.

But they move like f___ing greased lightening! Even the slowest ones would have to hold themselves back so much if they sparred me that they would be patronizing me. (Thank goodness I didn't have to spar anyone higher than 3rd dan.)

My own instructor is a 4th dan, about my height, seems to be about 40 lbs. overweight, and can do the splits.

Brings to mind the old saying "it's not the size that counts, it's how you use it."

pesilat

3rd Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yup. I'm not a kicker, but I can kick. I often catch people off guard, and especially when I was 50 pounds heavier.

I was in a class once and working with a guy who was about 6'5" (I'm 5'8" and was about 260 lbs. at this point). One of the techniques the instructor taught involved a kick to the head. My partner punched, I parried, kicked under his arm, and my foot flipped up in front of his face. His eyes got really big and he said, "Man! Where did that come from!?" Now, it wasn't a pretty kick, but it got up there and had some force to it.

And a guy I trained with in TX is very overweight. He's shaped like a Weeble (showing my age, I know). He can't kick high anymore. But he's one of the best kickers I've ever seen. He'll land kicks to the legs and ribs that are so quick they're setting back down before you realize they've moved, and they're incredibly powerful, too.

Mike

karatekid1975

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
There are 4 instructors in our little group of schools (3), plus a handful of assistants. Three are over weight. One of my instructors is over weight, but he is fast! I watched him do a form (pyong won, I think) last night that just blew me away! He is very sharp on technique.

Another one of the instructors from the other school, is over weight, in his 50's, and grey. But don't underestimate this guy either. He can do splits, fight like mad, and is very sharp!

The master intructor is little, but he is just as fast.

OP
J

Jas0n

Just last night we did some kicking exercises...when practicing the correct techniqes it can be very difficult with a little bit of a gut....I guess i am just not used to working with my fat yet...:D

Simon Curran

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
The national head of our organisation is somewhat overweight, but nonetheless a very skilled martial artist, and not someone I would like to be on the wrong side of, despite the fact that I am 6 ft 2 , 220 lbs and athletically built.

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, Little confuse. I hope this can help you? As you get older, the body slows down, we lose 30% and/or more muscles as we age especially after 40,more towards 50 plus and up. This is the natural part of ageing. Many masters do not train like before and usually eat the same or more foods. As teachers you spend more time teaching than phyical training. When you become a teacher (older one) you will understand this more.

Also genetics plays a part too. It nice to always be slimmer than most.

Excerise and eating the right foods helps in staying in shape. Easier said than to do it!!!!

Masters means "years of training" the mind, body, and the spirit. (sometimes the body grows too? )

There are expectations for our Professor, Master, Sensi and so on. Look at Black belts (do we expect everyone who has a black belt to look like Bruce Lee?)

Human beings comes in all kinds of body shapes and sizes and we must except what we have and what it will turn into as we age? Do you agree? ......Aloha

PS Look at the actor " Sumo Hung" Jackie chans partner. "boy can he move!

OP
T

TonyM.

If your talking about the ridiculous overweight clowns that kick each other in the 'taint, they are exactly that.

47MartialMan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Brother John said:
Mastery of an art has nothing to do with weight to height ratio or body fat percentages.
Would it be better if we were all physical specimins? Maybe....
But one way or the other, the martial arts (removing all the high-falootin sophistry) is about being prepared to survive a physical confrontation... no matter what condition or state you are in when you do it.
Don't underestimate a "BIG" fella, or gall for that matter.
They may move like a freight train, but don't be on the tracks when the train comes through.
Your Brother
John
Yeah, have you ever tried to race a football player? Also, those guys can move fast

Latest Discussions