Hello from Northern Maine!

Barking Spider

White Belt
Reaction score
Howdy, all!

I am joining you from Caribou, Maine, where I live with my wife and three cats. I stumbled across this site while looking for information on a local dojo (Tai-Gi-Shin) that was recommended to me by a friend. Saw a glowing review from bydand, and was instantly intrigued.

My martial arts history is somewhat sketchy; I was an avid fan of Shotokan about 10 years ago, when I was working at the University of Connecticut (go Huskies!), and was a member of their Karate Club (part of JKA) for about a year, before some unrelated back injuries (and a stern warning from my doctor) forced me to give up the art.

The back's all better now, but it's been hard to really commit to any serious training since then due to time constraints and weight issues, but now I am trying to get back into it, as I really miss the physical quickness and mental well being that went with my Shotokan experiences. Plus my wife has expressed an interest in learning self-defense, and I believe she will also enjoy it for the same reasons as I do.

I do not believe there are any Shotokan dojos around Caribou, but fortunately I only got as far as 8th kyu back in 1995, so I don't have too much to unlearn when I take up training once more. I am also still fairly overweight, which always makes things a bit more difficult, but I don't intend to stay that way for very long. :)

Anyway, I'm babbling. I'll shut up now. It's nice to see that MA is alive and well on the internet (I used to be an active participant in the CyberDojo back in the 90s), and I look forward to having some interesting conversations with you all as I get back into it.

Slainte!
-Mike

Henderson

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Welcome! Enjoy and thanks for sharing some info about yourself. If you have questions, just speak up.

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Welcome Mike! Thanks for joining our community. I look forward to your posts. If you have any questions please don't hesitate to contact me. Love the Avatar btw. :)

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Welcome, Spider! Always a pleasure to have a) a new member and b) another Maniac. I was born in Lewiston, myself.

OP
Barking Spider

Barking Spider

White Belt
Reaction score
HKphooey said:
Welcome! love the name! :)
Heh. I picked that one on a whim. Stems back to when I was a little kid, and my father used to blame all sorts of bodily noises on "barking spiders". I'm not sure why that name and not something python-esque (Crunchy Frog is often a favorite), but there ya go...

OnlyAnEgg said:
Welcome, Spider! Always a pleasure to have a) a new member and b) another Maniac. I was born in Lewiston, myself.
I wish I could say I'm a native Mainer, but I'm a transplant, being born in Connecticut. However, I do have roots in Maine that go back a few centuries (it's even remotely possible that I might be extremely distantly related to Susan Collins), so that's close enough. And my wife (she's from Nova Scotia) and I absolutely love Caribou, our adopted home. It's a heck of a trek to get to anything around here, and the winters tend to be a bit frosty, but the scenery is fantastic.

Anyway, thanks for the welcome, all!

Slainte!
-Mike

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Greetings! As soon as I saw the name, I burst out laughing!! I expect much humor from you Down East! Welcome, I say! :ultracool

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to Martial Talk! Enjoy your stay!:ultracool

Mike

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
We're pleased to have you here! :wavey: Welcome!

- Ceicei

bydand

Senior Master
Reaction score
Welcome Barking Spider! Glad to see someone else from this area on the board. The Tai Gi Shin dojo is a great place to train IMHO. The owner/regular instructor will not be there this Wed, because of the town meeting Caribou is having, but one of the young guys will be trying his hand at doing his first "real" class. I'll be there on Wed. at 6:00 when training starts in support of his effort. If you want to talk to the owner stop by Tue. evening, he is going to be doing the kids classes. Either before 5:30 or after 7:30 as he is busy with the little tykes between that time.

You are right about no Shotokan training places around as far as I know. Hope to see you there on Wed.

OP
Barking Spider

Barking Spider

White Belt
Reaction score
bydand said:
Welcome Barking Spider! Glad to see someone else from this area on the board. The Tai Gi Shin dojo is a great place to train IMHO. The owner/regular instructor will not be there this Wed, because of the town meeting Caribou is having, but one of the young guys will be trying his hand at doing his first "real" class. I'll be there on Wed. at 6:00 when training starts in support of his effort. If you want to talk to the owner stop by Tue. evening, he is going to be doing the kids classes. Either before 5:30 or after 7:30 as he is busy with the little tykes between that time.

You are right about no Shotokan training places around as far as I know. Hope to see you there on Wed.
Gah! I wish I had checked the board yesterday, otherwise I would have stopped in last night to talk to him. Ah, well, you snooze you lose.

OK, here's a basic question (and this might be off-post at this point, so please forgive me): Is is possible to train or even just observe for a lesson or three before deciding whether we want to join? I've heard good things from friends about the dojo, but the monthly fees my friend Steve quoted make me want to "try before I buy", if you know what I mean. (What can I say; I was spoiled at UConn, it was $16 a month, although the gi was a bit expensive, especially for someone as big as me).

If so, then I might be able to talk my wife into coming down after dinner (I get home at 5) to check it out.

That's great that the instructor is involved in the Town Meeting! Drugs are pretty bad news to a place like Aroostook County.

Thanks for the info!

Latest Discussions