A. Kim and F. Dux a tape review

r.severe

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I just had the chance to view two tapes that were sent to me of two different martial artist.

The first was A.Kim.
I'm not sure if this tape was made for a joke or what. It is shot really poorly and the edit job is poor.
But it has nothing to do with combative battle field martial arts.
I have to admit I've never seen anything like this before.. in regards to any martial arts.
I would guest it is a ozone martial arts system.

The second was F. Dux.
Well maybe he has some training in martial arts and maybe not. But it's very weak and from my experience has nothing to do with combative battle field martial arts or kobujutsu.

ralph severe, kamiyama

Don Roley

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ralph,
That was among the worst reviews I have ever seen. You open yourself up for a lot of grief over it as well. Let me explain how, and how you should have done the review.

First of all, you have to realize that with your reputation there will be accusations that you never really saw the tapes. Given past history, it will be easy for the defenders of Ashida Kim and Frank Dux to suggest that you merely decided that attacking people who are widely regarded as incompetent frauds is just a cheap way of getting people behind you and promoting your own superiority and mastery. Even people that do not like Dux and Kim will probably be convinced that you never really saw the tape. And all the other side has to do is point to the fact that you have tried to convince others that you are a Bujinkan instructor but Dale Seago found out from Japan that was not the case for people to start questioneing your word, honor and integrity.

So the first thing you need to do it detail exactly how you got your hands on the tapes and how others can if they want copies as well. Considering just how popular the Ron Duncan tapes are after some seminars when everyone is drinking and looking for some cheap laughs, you can imagine just how eager some folks have been to get their hands on a tape of Ashida Kim. I am not aware of any tapes like that availible. In fact, it almost seems like the Ashida Kim folks are not eager to let tapes out since they usually use the defense that no one has seen him in action and thus cannot judge him. So it is kind of unusual to hear someone get their hands on both a Kim and a Dux tape. It really opens you up to charges that you made the story up to make yourself look good unless you can show where you got them and others can verify it for themselves. people do not trust your word already, so you have to double your efforts to prove that what you say happend actually did.

Next, you need to be more detailed with the problems you have with the tapes. Your whole argument seems to be, "I am so much better than both of these guys." You need to add details and concrete examples of why you feel the way you do. You need not go over every part, but give a few examples that are indicitive of the whole tape.

For example, I have not seen the tapes you claim to have, but this is what I would say if I were doing a review of the Ron Duncan tape.

"The tape seems to be rather unrealistic in its portrayal of combat and the reactions of the attackers. As an example, the attackers all seem to dance like they were hit with an electric charge when Duncan hits them rather than more realistic reactions. I further believe that they are merely acting because at one point of the tape an attacker stands confused in the middle of a multiple person attack on Duncan and Duncan can be heard to order him to 'take a fall' at which point the student flips himself to the ground without Duncan touching him.

The attacks and such are also very unusual and not very realistic. At one point, Duncan is walking through a park and an attacker with pistol jumps out about 20 meters from him and tells him to freeze. Duncan freezes and the guy with the pistol then walks right up to him and puts the gun slowly on his forehead. I almost felt like it shoudl be a comedy line, "take my gun- please!" Unfortunatly, these are pretty much par for the course on this tape."

Now compare that with what you wrote,

I'm not sure if this tape was made for a joke or what. It is shot really poorly and the edit job is poor.
But it has nothing to do with combative battle field martial arts.
I have to admit I've never seen anything like this before.. in regards to any martial arts.
I would guest it is a ozone martial arts system.

You see how people would question that you ever saw the tape at all? There are no specific examples. In fact, there is nothing that people who have seen Ashida Kim on the internet do not already feel and expect.

I know from experience that if some people do not like what you say about them they will try to make you sound like a liar. If they have no honor, they will do anything to attack the messenger rather than deal with the facts. Dale Seago had alot of this thrown at him for what he has said about certain people. Lacking honor or an ability to deal with the facts he stated, they instead tried to trash his reputation and accused him of being a habitual liar. They can't provide examples of how he lied, but if they repeat it enough they think they can make people beleive it. It is also something I have experienced as well with many dishonorable frauds.

So, maybe you can stop the Kim and Dux guys from making you look like a fool by following my suggestions. Where can someone else get the tapes? What are specific examples of what makes you feel the way you do? These are the types of things you need to add to be a credible source despite what has gone on before.

OP
r.severe

r.severe

Blue Belt
Reaction score
LOL.. you said honor.. give me a break..

With all due respect Donny shihan..
What is your point?

ralph severe, kamiyama

Don Roley

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
r.severe said:
With all due respect Donny shihan..
What is your point?

Hmmm, I thought I was quite clear.

I beleive the problem lies with Raplh. But if anyone other than Ralph thinks I did not make my point, please let me know and tell me how I fouled up.

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Not to interupt the bickering going on,

Where can I get a copy of the Ashida Kim Tape?

That would be good stuff to add to my collection, right next to my Sho Kosugi instructional Ninjutsu tape. (Yes, he made one, Yes, I have it.)

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ralph, Don's point was that your review failed to meet established criteria for a review. By failing to meet such criteria you leave yourself open to argument.

For reference I would recommend my own review of Zach Whitsons Kenpo Concepts tape, which is available in the July 2003 issue of MartialTalk Magazine.
(http://martialtalk.com/magazine)

Personally, as one who edits a magazine, and sees several reviews sent in for each issue, I couldn't use what you posted here. It was really little more than "they sucked" without any real substantiation as to why.

Here are the MT Review guidelines for videos:
Standard Video Review Header:

Company:
Tape Name:
Tape Cost:
Length of Tape/Time:
Number of Moves/Techniques:
Return Policy:
Experiences in dealing with this company:
The Instructor:
Company's Address:
Company's Phone Number:
Web Page:
E-Mail:

Questions:
1. Production/Tape Quality: Based on video and audio clarity, plus overall 'look'.
2. Instructors demonstrated skill level: does the subject look like they know what they are doing, and look confident doing it.
3. Comprehension Score/Immediate Understanding: How knowledgable do I have to be before making use of this?
4. Degree to which this will make someone a better Martial Artist: Will I improve after watching this?
5. Score on delivery vs. hype: Does it meet what it claims?
6. Degree to which we'd recommend this product:
7. Wasted Time (The higher the number, the less "fluff"/repetition): How much dead time or 'filler' is in this, based on the claims.
8. Playback Score/Watching it over-and-over again: Would I watch this again?
9. Would I purchase more of this company's products:
10. Overall grade based on cost vs. value: is it worth the cost based on overall value of the training?
11. Beginners benefit: Is this of use to a beginner?
12. Intermediate benefit: a mid-belt type.
13. Advanced benefit: an expert?
14. Time to benefit: How long before I can 'learn' something from this.
15. The need to buy additional tapes to understand this one: Do I need more, or is this good to start?

Comments:

Don Roley

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I am glad to see that I am not the only one who gave serious thought to getting the Ashida Kim tape just for its humor value. After all the fun I have had watching the Ron Duncan tape, the idea of a tape by Kim is...exciting!!

And it really is just a matter of course that unless the forum audience pretty much knows how to get their hands on a tape (i.e. a google search) you let people know how. I can't find a tape for sale on the internet search I did.

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Don Roley said:
I am glad to see that I am not the only one who gave serious thought to getting the Ashida Kim tape just for its humor value. After all the fun I have had watching the Ron Duncan tape, the idea of a tape by Kim is...exciting!!

And it really is just a matter of course that unless the forum audience pretty much knows how to get their hands on a tape (i.e. a google search) you let people know how. I can't find a tape for sale on the internet search I did.

I couldnt either. I highly reccomend the Sho Kosugi tape if you can find it... Its called "Master Class" and I picked my Copy up on Ebay for .99 cents! (I paid 2.50 to ship it tho)

Ooh. Time to search Ashida Kim on Ebay...

Enson

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Don Roley said:
Hmmm, I thought I was quite clear.

I beleive the problem lies with Ralph. But if anyone other than Ralph thinks I did not make my point, please let me know and tell me how I fouled up.
i agree with your point that ralph should have been more descriptive. the only thing is don when you write/post it just comes off as being cocky and almost offensive. "people don't care how much you know... until they know how much you care!" (john c. maxwell) here is a suggestion on how to better your post.

"hey ralph buddy ol' pal, where did you get those tapes? man i would sure love to see them too, that way we can both have a good laugh. how would i get my hands on a copy of those? what did they do that was so funny/poor/dumb? let us know asap!"

i think that would have come off better. of course thats just my opinion.

peace

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Don Roley said:

I couldnt either. I highly reccomend the Sho Kosugi tape if you can find it... Its called "Master Class" and I picked my Copy up on Ebay for .99 cents! (I paid 2.50 to ship it tho)

Ooh. Time to search Ashida Kim on Ebay...

Bujingodai

Black Belt
Reaction score
Gee,
Anyway I have also seen both these tapes. The AK one just the last week when I visited another school in the US.

Duncans tape I was not a huge fan of at all. The gun disarms were just plain wrong and unrealistic. Disarm a machine gun at face range? I would figure no one would hold a machine gun to your face, more likely 10 ft away and if they have a machine gun, they ain't stealing your wallet.
His response to certain grips etc were unrealistic as the grabs just wouldn't happen, not the way he did them.
I just didn't get a good feel from the video. I didn't see any Taijustu in a Ninjutsuesque way. I am not a reviewer

The AK tape, there was 40 mins I will never get back in my life. I was emabrrassed watching it. I damn near choked on my already bad enough yank beer when I saw the Kata Dante demo's on Australian TV. I like the fact you palm heeled the face......after you tore off the head.
i am at least very convinced of his toolness and am glad I took enough heat years ago to ward me from meeting him due to my mandate of independent schools. A fool at best.

Thats just my opinon.

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
AaronLucia said:
What is Master Class about?

Honestly? Id say its about how to stage fight scenes for movies.

They show clips of choreographed fights from various Sho Kosugi Movies, and then he goes about demonstrating how to do the techniques he did in that fight scene. Its pretty amusing.

S

sifu nick

So I take it we still don't know how to obtain these tapes? I only know of Kim through the postings on MT. I'd be more interested in the Dux tape since I've always been curious to see him in action.

A

AaronLucia

Actually, i saw some of Kim's tapes on Ebay recently, they might still be there.

Latest Discussions