A kata/form tip for beginning students

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I used to tilt it up to keep the car from getting too hot while it was parked. After it rained unexpectedly a few times with it open, I stopped doing that.

Every one of them I’ve had has been too noisy and not enough air circulation to be worth the hassle. Maybe that little fin thing that sticks up wasn’t ever big enough?
I have never quite learned. I've had my car full-on rained in with the thing open (not just tilted). I've opened my door to find the entirety of Autumn in the driver seat. I still forget and leave it open sometimes.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I use the cruise bloody everywhere :D

There are lots of 30 and 40 mph speed limits through villages, towns and stuff around here - it's great there.

My car will happily sit in cruise at 30 in 4th (manual 'box), then bump it up to 60mph as you leave the limit.

I never thought I'd even think this, but the one extra toy I'd like is adaptive cruise.
I thought I'd like adaptive cruise until I used it in moderately heavy traffic that was moving steadily. You know, that kind of traffic where nobody quite leaves as much room as they should. Well, it left more room than most people would, so people kept pulling into that space from other lanes. Of course, when they pulled in, it slowed down to restore the distance to the new car-in-front. I felt like I was driving in reverse.

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
Moonroof/sunroof - the terms are somewhat interchangeable now, though I think they originally had some real distinction.

I've never known of the term moonroof being used here, and I've got (/had) some pretty old literature that refers to the "sunshine roof" being a dealer fitted option...

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've never known of the term moonroof being used here, and I've got (/had) some pretty old literature that refers to the "sunshine roof" being a dealer fitted option...
I think when "moonroof" came into usage here, the difference was that it either didn't open at all, or only tilted up at the back, while a "sunroof" could be entirely opened (by sliding it back or, like my old Toyota truck, removing it entirely).

Reactions: pdg

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is huge. It’s amazing how hard it is to do the kata reversed or starting facing a different direction in the normal space.
I've always had my students face different directions, do forms in different directions... My teacher did it to me, I do it to them. :D

But there's a method to the madness. I've seen people get totally lost when they do a form and they don't have the cues they're used to from the training hall. Our forms teach principles; if you focus solely on the motions and "bearings" and not the underlying concept or principle, all you've done is learned to dance. I once had someone tell a student to remove a key principle from one of our forms because they just didn't understand it...

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Still catching up with this thread... but about to get interrupted, so some thoughts...

Kata or forms or tuls or patterns or shadowboxing... the words vary by arts, but most have some type of solo practice that preserves proven combinations or tactics and principles. How deeply they go depends on the art, on the culture that underlies that art, the teacher, and the student. The relationship there is a Venn diagram, not a hierarchy.

They serve different purposes. The manual of arms for the M-14 rifle is a form. You're not going to fight with it -- it's a demonstration of skill and familiarity, among other things. Some forms are demonstration pieces, done for the performance value. Some forms are teaching tools -- they contain principles and concepts and were assembled to preserve and pass those down, maybe openly, maybe not. Some forms are "mere" exercises to build balance or develop other attributes. Some are catalogs of the overall system. Some are the entire system... if properly understood. Some are meditative exercises... So, ask yourself the purpose of the form you are working on -- then don't read too much into some of them.

Then there are 2 person forms... Exercises done with a partner in a way that controls things and allows the partner to learn a functional principle, in application. They're really a whole 'nother discussion...

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Oh, yeah, forgot kinda...

Moonroof?

What?

Pics?
Moonroof/sunroof - the terms are somewhat interchangeable now, though I think they originally had some real distinction.
I thought initially sunroof was metal and moonroof was glass? Or sunroof was the cheap manual pop up/tilt up type while moonroof fully slid open?

I haven’t seen the term sunroof used on a new car by the manufacturers in quite some time. All the ones I’ve seen call it a moonroof.

Time for a google search.

Edit: Websites are all over the place, contradicting each other. I guess it’s whatever you want to call it. Or better yet whatever the manufacturer wants to call it.

Last edited:

DUO ART

White Belt
Reaction score
OP you are so right. During my yellow belt test, all belts brown and down had to do EVERYTHING they were ever taught. Some had forgotten how to start the Pinan's from orange and beyond. Lets just say sensi was not happy with them that day at all. It came back to them when it was imparted that failure was in their immediate future.

They remembered their Pinan's after that . In fact , After that test, we all had to do basics, a lot more in class and continue to do so. I just learned my first Pinan a week ago. I practice it at least twice a day, while we are on Christmas break.

After that testing experience and even talking to a black belt instructor in a totally different art, I decided then and there that I have to practice all my moves form white to whatever always. My friend, in that separate art, emphised to me practice and never forget your basics. She also said without them, your technique will be horrible and you will not advance .

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
I thought initially sunroof was metal and moonroof was glass? Or sunroof was the cheap manual pop up/tilt up type while moonroof fully slid open?

I haven’t seen the term sunroof used on a new car by the manufacturers in quite some time. All the ones I’ve seen call it a moonroof.

Time for a google search.

Edit: Websites are all over the place, contradicting each other. I guess it’s whatever you want to call it. Or better yet whatever the manufacturer wants to call it.

Well, I checked multiple new car web pages, older car spec sheets and stuff - absolutely no mention of moonroof at all.

It's almost universally a sunroof, irrespective of tilt/slide/fixed/glass/solid - with a couple of exceptions...

There's a targa top (the section of roof between the A and B pillars is removable).

There's a panoramic roof (almost the entire roof is glass, usually with a retractable internal cover - my car has this).

I suppose moonroof must be an American thing...

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Well, I checked multiple new car web pages, older car spec sheets and stuff - absolutely no mention of moonroof at all.

It's almost universally a sunroof, irrespective of tilt/slide/fixed/glass/solid - with a couple of exceptions...

There's a targa top (the section of roof between the A and B pillars is removable).

There's a panoramic roof (almost the entire roof is glass, usually with a retractable internal cover - my car has this).

I suppose moonroof must be an American thing...
Moonroof vs. Sunroof: What Are the Differences? - The Allstate Blog

https://cars.usnews.com/cars-trucks/sunroof-vs-moonroof

Quite possibly an American thing. Many websites come up here arguing the differences. I’m sure your search brings up stuff relevant to your side of the pond.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Latest Discussions