What do you think about foot pivoting

amateur

Orange Belt
Reaction score
What is the proper way to generate body rotation? Should I pivot my foot or keep my foot planted and pivot my hips instead? Generally, MMA teaches you should start a rotation by pivoting your back foot, but I have read a youtube comment that said 'never pivot'. Was he talking about eastern styles?

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Jesus.....taking advice from YouTube is bad enough but taking advice from YouTube COMMENTS is ridiculous. Majority of those guys are either fat old men who spend all day at their computers or 10 year old kids....both with 0 experience but claim to be Bruce lees secret child neither are worth listening to

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
A coach/teacher should be able to show you what works far better than YouTube comments...

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
What is the proper way to generate body rotation? Should I pivot my foot or keep my foot planted and pivot my hips instead? Generally, MMA teaches you should start a rotation by pivoting your back foot, but I have read a youtube comment that said 'never pivot'. Was he talking about eastern styles?
Umm... What? I mean, yeah. I mean, both. Or "it depends."

Look, both have a place and some arts or teachers or interpretations may emphasize one over the other. A lot of it can be context sensitive too. Every try to pivot your foot on asphalt while wearing really grippy shoes?

Go train and let your instructor guide you. You'll learn how, where, when, and why.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score

Ditto the confusion other people have indicated.
For starters, you have two feet, not one (that is, admittedly, an assumption on my part - it's certainly possible you're an amputee). It would also be helpful to know what exactly you're talking about. Body mechanics for power generation vary greatly. Generating power for a jab certainly is not the same as generating power for a rear leg roundhouse. Power generation for a specific technique (i.e. the aforementioned rear leg roundhouse) also varies, depending on a number of factors.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Depends on the circumstances. When transitioning from one stance to another, the movement of one or both feet (typically one) can be used to generate power into or out of a stance. Likewise, hips are very often used to generate power, with or without movement of the feet. In our style hip generated power is 'koshi'. Koshi is not just used to generate power.

OP
A

amateur

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Every try to pivot your foot on asphalt while wearing really grippy shoes?

I know what you mean!

Generating power for a jab certainly is not the same as generating power for a rear leg roundhouse.

I'm a beginner and I know only so many techniques. I had mainly cross in mind, perhaps I should have been more specific. But I didn't know that you rotate at jabs as well; I have been taught jab is just an arm extension.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
I know what you mean!

I'm a beginner and I know only so many techniques. I had mainly cross in mind, perhaps I should have been more specific. But I didn't know that you rotate at jabs as well; I have been taught jab is just an arm extension.
Then you need a new teacher

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
He says he's a beginner. Maybe he hasn't gotten to that detailed of instruction yet. Or maybe he just doesn't realize some of the finer elements yet.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
He said he's been taught to jab with just an arm extension....a jab is the most basic punch and he's been taught it wrong...that's not good teaching because now he'll have bad habits which are extremely hard ro break

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
He said he's been taught to jab with just an arm extension....a jab is the most basic punch and he's been taught it wrong...that's not good teaching because now he'll have bad habits which are extremely hard ro break
how often do you find the beginners have a good grasp of any technique? How often do you find that they are able to communicate that effectively?

OP
A

amateur

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Maybe 'jab' is something different at other styles, but, at MMA, it is just a quick arm extension. If you add pivoting, it's a left cross. Maybe that's what you perceive as 'jab'. It's not a bad technique, but it's not what I meant when I said 'jab'.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Depends on the martial arts system you are training in. There different ways to drive power. If you are driving power with your hip then you will probably at a great risk of damaging your knee by keeping that foot planted. If you are using the waist to drive power then you can afford to keep a foot planted.

If you are fighting against someone who does a lot of take downs, then foot planted will be a good choice, but only if you aren't driving power with your hips. If you are fighting against someone who doesn't do a lot of take downs then you'll be fine using a lighter root, provided that the person doesn't sweep.

Foot down vs foot up is not an either or thing.

Bruce7

Black Belt
Reaction score
Firstly some of you are not being polite, to someone new.
I turn my hips if I am doing a reverse punch.
I was not taught to move my hips when doing a snap punch or jab.
I was taught to get in quick make the punch then go to the next move or get out quick.
In fact, in the beginning I was taught to get in a back stance. Open my hand on top of my front leg, make the muscles as lose as possible and bring my hand up to my shoulder, then out making a hard fist at full extension, then relaxing bring the hand back to the shoulder.
The objective is developing speed. Snap punches or jabs are speed punches not power punches.
Later I was taught how to move to get in position to do the snap punch.
From the taekwondo schools I have visited ,they only use reverse punches, since you can't get a point for punches to the face.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
From the taekwondo schools I have visited ,they only use reverse punches, since you can't get a point for punches to the face.

You need to get out more. I've got rank in KKW, ITF and MDK TKD. MDK and ITF schools routinely punch to the head. KKW schools do too, if they're not limiting themselves to the tiny subset of TKD included in Olympic sparring.

Bruce7

Black Belt
Reaction score
You need to get out more. I've got rank in KKW, ITF and MDK TKD. MDK and ITF schools routinely punch to the head. KKW schools do too, if they're not limiting themselves to the tiny subset of TKD included in Olympic sparring.
When I took MDK snap punches and back fist to the head was a good part of my training.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Maybe 'jab' is something different at other styles, but, at MMA, it is just a quick arm extension. If you add pivoting, it's a left cross. Maybe that's what you perceive as 'jab'. It's not a bad technique, but it's not what I meant when I said 'jab'.
If you are doing that, the jab has no power in it. Pivoting your foot or stepping with the jab is what gives it power. It doesn't take away the time it takes to punch either, but if you don't put at least some weight behind it, it won't even work as a distraction.

That's true in kempo, boxing and kickboxing, I can't imagine it's different for MMA.

If you've got 7 bucks, I would absolutely recommend this book. It's by my favorite boxer, so I might be biased, but everyone I've recommended reading it loved it, and learned a lot about how to improve their own boxing.
https://www.amazon.com/Championship-Fighting-Explosive-Punching-Aggressive/dp/1501111485

OP
A

amateur

Orange Belt
Reaction score
If you are doing that, the jab has no power in it. Pivoting your foot or stepping with the jab is what gives it power.

But the jab isn't supposed to be a powerful punch, honey. It's a speedy one intending to create distance. I know about adding a step for more power. But pivoting turns it into a left cross and hinders the cross punch in case you wanted to go for a jab/cross combo.

I'll put buying that book in my to do list.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
But the jab isn't supposed to be a powerful punch, honey. It's a speedy one intending to create distance. I know about adding a step for more power. But pivoting turns it into a left cross and hinders the cross punch in case you wanted to go for a jab/cross combo.

I'll put buying that book in my to do list.
Honey? That's an interesting one.

And a jab can actually be either. But it still needs some power, otherwise people will just ignore it, and pivoting isn't taking away the speed. Also, pivoting actually helps out the jab cross combo-you pivot in the opposite way of throwing a cross, giving you more power when you turn into the cross.

Latest Discussions