A different look a wrestling. Sort of.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
This is an interesting video because they are literally just brutalising each other.

And it is a cool concept especially for self defense because the ability to make everything pain an horror for the other guy is a really useful skill that doesn't often get touched apon.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For some reason, the video won’t play on my phone. I’ll have to try later on my PC. But I think I know the kind of match you’re talking about.

Thing is, a lot of folks in the SD market do talk about that. Whether they teach the ability to do it is another question. Some talk and teach it. Some do one, but not the other. Some do neither.

But, yeah, I think training with a SD orientation should include the ability to make them wish they hadn’t made that decision. Not a lot of students seem to really focus much energy in that area.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
For some reason, the video won’t play on my phone. I’ll have to try later on my PC. But I think I know the kind of match you’re talking about.

Thing is, a lot of folks in the SD market do talk about that. Whether they teach the ability to do it is another question. Some talk and teach it. Some do one, but not the other. Some do neither.

But, yeah, I think training with a SD orientation should include the ability to make them wish they hadn’t made that decision. Not a lot of students seem to really focus much energy in that area.

Agree.
There are some classes/seminars I have done mostly with professional organizations where there is more talking than doing. But the 'talking' verges on carnal. I go out of my way to express the depth of intent a person must go to so that SD has any chance of being effective. Frankly, I strongly feel the mindset has to be one of life or death or it just will not work, especially for the person with little to no experience. I Never teach the flashy stuff we have all seen and likely made fun of. More SA and common sense stuff like walking to a car with a key wedged between two fingers, etc....
I also have some form of resistance the class practices against for a reality check, plus I let the class express their own 'what if' scenarios and play them out.
Get the hell out of Dodge first, reality based first + 1 , common sense second, realistic response third, preemptive preparation/strike fourth.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
If you spar/wrestle 15 rounds daily, you won't have that problem. But if you do that, your SD (or combat) training is no difference from the sport training.

- Sport is the path.
- SD (of combat) is the goal.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you spar/wrestle 15 rounds daily, you won't have that problem. But if you do that, your SD (or combat) training is no difference from the sport training.

- Sport is the path.
-SD (of combat) is the goal.
This. I don't really think there has to be a big difference between sport and SD training. SD is the purpose, not the skill.

Latest Discussions