a beginner or not a beginner

donald1

Senior Master
Reaction score
if you have been in karate for a few years and you have gone up 3 belts close to 4 are you still considered a beginner

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
What type of karate, and how many 'kyus' or belts are there in your style? How do you compare to shodans? Just from the info you said, I'd say yes, but dont have enough information.

TimoS

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Well, we are considered as being beginners until we reach 2. dan :)

---
"Look. Listen. Sweat." - Morio Higaonna

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Well, we are considered as being beginners until we reach 2. dan :)
Not necessarily, depends on the style, and the instructor. Thats why I was asking about the style and belts and how they compare to higher ranks.

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
It depends on the opinion of the system, as far as i know. Do you consider yourself to be a beginner? If so, you are. Keep learning. If not, you arent. Keep learning.

rlobrecht

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I would say that if you've done anything consistently for a few years, you're not a beginner. My question back to you, is what does being a beginner mean to you, and what benefits does being labeled a beginner (or not) convey? Are beginners forgiven mistakes that intermediate students aren't?

I like Cyriacus's post, regardless of your label, keep learning. Even the Master at the school I attend belted up last year (to 6th Dan.)

Uncle

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Forget beginner. All we are is students at different points on the path. Even a teacher is just a more advanced student.

Just go train and enjoy it :)

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Pretty much what I was going to say, Uncle. I am a sandan in my art {MJER Iaido} and I now know enough to know just how far I have to go. If you think as your martial arts training as a process rather than a more 'goal' orientated view then the distinctions between beginner and expert fade away.

Uncle

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Pretty much what I was going to say, Uncle. I am a sandan in my art {MJER Iaido} and I now know enough to know just how far I have to go. If you think as your martial arts training as a process rather than a more 'goal' orientated view then the distinctions between beginner and expert fade away.

Exactly. For example I reached 1kyu in Yoshinkan aikido and realized I'd taken all I could from it. In my wing chun training I have all the same movements and can integrate the aikido techniques where appropriate and actually do them more effectively than when I was doing aikido! So was I a beginner at aikido? Not really. Am I a beginner now at aikido? Probably less so than when I left!

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
This is just a vairiant of the eternal discussion of the importance (or lack thereof) of belt rank.

Short version: if you're learning something you find useful, having a good time, and generally feel that your training is benificial, then you're on the right track. Your position on the track is irrelevant. Just keep going.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
After 20-some years of training... I'm still a beginner compared to my teacher. Maybe even compared to some of my students...

CK1980

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Some schools or instructors will place a specific type of classification (beginner, intermediate, advanced) that is linked to belt level... If you are wondering if you are considered a beginner, ask your instructor if they place these types of classification... Else, a good way to judge for yourself is how confident do you feel? How would you classify what you know?

The main school I attended back when I was actively studying split the belts into classifications White to Gold were beginners, Green to Blue were intermediates and Purple to Black were advanced... But the head instructor would also remind us VERY often that everything we did up to Black belt was just to prepare us to START learning the art...

So, based on that, I would say that depending on your belt (up to black), you would be classified as a beginner... The real question becomes "What level of beginner are you?" :)

Curlykarateka

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
if you have been in karate for a few years and you have gone up 3 belts close to 4 are you still considered a beginner
I've been training for six years, since I was eight. I am without a doubt still very much a beginner.

Ol Man Woolenshirt

White Belt
Reaction score
I was into Shodokan Japanese Karate for several years in my college years, I can still remember some moves. This got me back into it recently due to time on my hands and the need to stay fit. but I'm into Kenpo this time . It"s like starting all over again except for the kicks ,blocks, punches. Memory is out the window but I can still hang in there with the class. Anyone trying to learn a different style from your first.?

evelbug

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Beginner is a relative term. It is also not a bad thing. I have been studying TKD for half a year and have a yellow w/ black stripe. Even though I am new to the club and the art, there have been times that I have had better luck explaining things to some white belts because It wasn't long ago that I was just figuring out how to do it and I remember what I struggled with and how I overcame it.

Latest Discussions