6yr old 2nd degree BB?

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I have a problem with this child having this rank as well - in addition to the reasons already given, black belts should be able to teach - and I find it unlikely, at her age, that even if she is sufficiently precocious to really be able to perform all she should at that rank, that she is able to teach others in a meaningful fashion.
Well at least her classes would be short and sweet... I mean it'd probably be like...(insert 6 yr. old cute girl's voice here) "ok now we shall do side kicks with....*gasp!* oooooohhh pretty kitty outside!" (and runs to the window)... (giggles)

bluemtn

Senior Master
Reaction score
I really can't see how her attention span is all that great for what should be a lot of material (as basically indicated by MAC)... What did she have to test on, I wonder? Strictly kicks, and maybe a couple of forms?

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
This doesn't say much for her instructor. I agree with the folks who said it's not the girl's fault. It's sad.

14 Kempo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
This doesn't say much for her instructor. I agree with the folks who said it's not the girl's fault. It's sad.

I, too, agree on this point. It's not the girl's fault, it is the fault of the teacher and the system. Is it ATA? If so, they should step in and take corrrective action.

WMKS Shogun

Green Belt
Reaction score
Please bear in mind that this is not a Kukkiwon school, it is an ATA school. They have different ideas and policies concerning belt testings, etc. I do not think that the father had anything to do with the promotion directly, but that is just a gut feeling. Also, I am not sure if you all noticed, but there was a link to a video of the story under her picture on the official page. She looked alright for a six year old, but for a 2nd Dan....well, that is something different entirely. I agree that this does not show well for Tae Kwon Do schools around, since people just assume that TKD is TKD regardless of affiliation or style.

Just4Kicks

Green Belt
Reaction score
Poor kid, she doesn't know what's going on. She hasn't got a goal now, she'd be thinking she'd already accheived 'mastery' and she also said she wants be be a karate instructor.... Karate? She was probably pushed by her father, kids at this age aren't 'intense', they're kids.

Personally, I think you shouldn't be awarded a black belt until at least 16 and second degree? Don't even think about it.

bushidomartialarts

Senior Master
Reaction score
Personally, I think you shouldn't be awarded a black belt until at least 16 and second degree? Don't even think about it.

We have similar policies, but every once in a while I feel compelled to make an exception. One of my students is twelve years old, knows her techniques back and forth, has adult-size body mass and has been observed dismantling adult men during sparring. Nope, she won't be waiting four more years.

But it's important to note that we'll be breaking the rules for her...that the rules say it shouldn't happen.

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score
Impessive.. she should be able to make Grand Master before her age hits double digits.

bluekey88

Senior Master
Reaction score
Here, I did the math. Assuming we follow the regular guidelines...she could make 3rd BB in 3 years at 9 y.o. Then in another 4 years she'll be 4th degree at 13...under kkw guidelines considered a master instructor.

While this may not be her fault...it's still quite a mess.

Peace,
Erik

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
One has to wonder what the instructor was thinking at this stage. This could clearly affect this young girls out look on martial arts and potentially burn her out too fast on martial arts. This say's very, very little for the quality of her instructor.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Her getting thatrank is just so wrong on so many fronts i wii not even discuss it
her instructor needs his head examined IMHO

TKDmel

Blue Belt
Reaction score
TKDmel it is not age 16 but 14 the Poom rank can be changed to Dam rank though the Kukkiwon all a person need to do is send in the right paperwork and the fee and it is all taken care of.

On the subject matter no way a second at that age, even my boy did not get his 1st until he was 8 and he was training at the age of two, they just cannot really understand the material at all.

Thanks Terry, I knew it was somewhere around that age. But the point is that no-one that young could or should be a 2nd dan, no way.. no how.

rmclain

Black Belt
Reaction score
One has to wonder what the instructor was thinking at this stage. This could clearly affect this young girls out look on martial arts and potentially burn her out too fast on martial arts. This say's very, very little for the quality of her instructor.

I'm with you on this one. I see many of these young black belts around TKD circles. Probably one of the reasons most people nowadays think of martial arts as a children's activity.

R. McLain

CF'er

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
As a student who trains at an ATA school I can totally see this happening. But, what confuses me is that the kids that age should be in the Tiny Tigers program and their belts don't translate 1 for 1. Once they reach a certain age they join the Karate for Kids program and they are ranked accordingly. (I am fairly new to this so I don't know all of the details. Sorry.)
We have a student who is 4 or 5 that our instructor thought was pretty good so he had him skip the TT program. That being said he still acts like a 5yo in class. When he goes to a tournament he competes against the other Tiny Tigers.
Our BB tests (at our school) are not nearly as hard as what some of you describe. Our workouts aren't either. I'm almost embarassed to read what you do compared to what I do (during classes).

I'm not trying to speak for the ATA or any other ATA school. I only know what I see in my school. We just had a 7/8yo reach 1st degree. She has been taking classes for 2-3 years. She will be eligible to test for 2nd degree in 6-9 months. You must go through 2 testing cycles before you can test for your 2nd degree and we test about every 9 weeks.

These are just my observations.

Dave Leverich

Black Belt
Reaction score
The time between ranks is equal to dan rank in the ATA, aka 1st to 2nd is one year minimum, 2nd to 3rd is 2 etc.

3 years for 2nd though, that'd be a quick pace for an adult who trained regularly.... for a young child at least in our school, we're looking 1 stripe at a time (1/2 gup), and only testing if they're ready to. With 2 month testings starting at 9th white... 38 months if nothing goes amiss. But then it's exceedingly rare to start anyone under 5 at ours as well.

I guess it varies by school, hopefully the little one will continue on and grow into her rank.

CF'er, you'll find a huge variety in the ATA, some schools are much more traditional, some are the shorter classes etc. It all depends on how the instructor was brought up.

I was of the era of knuckle push-ups in the gravel, running barefoot around the block a few times with the class, making the windows sweat etc era.

My take on it is this, affect the bubble around you. Basically I can only improve those I come in contact with etc.

Btw, my own children are 4 and 8, and I'm just now considering starting them learning. With the young one I think I'll 'homeschool' the TKD for a while, simply start installing the basics with no ranks etc.

6 year old 2nd... wow. We used to have a minimum age of 18 for 2nd, 21 for 3rd etc, unless my memory betrays me.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The time between ranks is equal to dan rank in the ATA, aka 1st to 2nd is one year minimum, 2nd to 3rd is 2 etc.

3 years for 2nd though, that'd be a quick pace for an adult who trained regularly.... for a young child at least in our school, we're looking 1 stripe at a time (1/2 gup), and only testing if they're ready to. With 2 month testings starting at 9th white... 38 months if nothing goes amiss. But then it's exceedingly rare to start anyone under 5 at ours as well.

I guess it varies by school, hopefully the little one will continue on and grow into her rank.

CF'er, you'll find a huge variety in the ATA, some schools are much more traditional, some are the shorter classes etc. It all depends on how the instructor was brought up.

I was of the era of knuckle push-ups in the gravel, running barefoot around the block a few times with the class, making the windows sweat etc era.

My take on it is this, affect the bubble around you. Basically I can only improve those I come in contact with etc.

Btw, my own children are 4 and 8, and I'm just now considering starting them learning. With the young one I think I'll 'homeschool' the TKD for a while, simply start installing the basics with no ranks etc.

6 year old 2nd... wow. We used to have a minimum age of 18 for 2nd, 21 for 3rd etc, unless my memory betrays me.

Dave:

Given your statement about age requirements in the ATA, does the ATA have a poom (or jr. BB) equivelent? Then a 2nd degree BB would be possible for a younger person. (If not for this gal).

Dave Leverich

Black Belt
Reaction score
Unfortunately no. Rank is rank in the ATA. (with the exception of the Tiny Tigers ranks which are like Tiger/cheetah etc).

I'd have to dig current age requirements, but it's apparent the one for 2nd isn't in place any longer, if I recall it actually was 18 for 3rd before. I wouldn't be opposed to having poom at all, have them test in at X age etc.

As is though, I just affect those in my sphere of influence I suppose.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Unfortunately no. Rank is rank in the ATA. (with the exception of the Tiny Tigers ranks which are like Tiger/cheetah etc).

I'd have to dig current age requirements, but it's apparent the one for 2nd isn't in place any longer, if I recall it actually was 18 for 3rd before. I wouldn't be opposed to having poom at all, have them test in at X age etc.

As is though, I just affect those in my sphere of influence I suppose.

If they haven't changed the age requirements, then this instructor is going contrary to ATA specs. How will that fly with the "powers that be?"

Latest Discussions