6yr old 2nd degree BB?

donald

Black Belt
Reaction score
I have to agree with the awww c'mon sentiment. Unless of course its some kind of "kiddie" grade. Like they know... Aww who am I kidding. I must retreat back to my original position of Awww C'MON!
1stJohn1:9

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Here, I did the math. Assuming we follow the regular guidelines...she could make 3rd BB in 3 years at 9 y.o. Then in another 4 years she'll be 4th degree at 13...under kkw guidelines considered a master instructor.

While this may not be her fault...it's still quite a mess.

Peace,
Erik

Nah the earliest she could get her 4th is 19, the best she can do is 3rd by the time she is 14 and then she has to transfer her poom rank for dans and wait four years to test for Master.

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thanks Terry, I knew it was somewhere around that age. But the point is that no-one that young could or should be a 2nd dan, no way.. no how.

I agre it is a complete waste of time but her parent belive she knows what she needs, because they paid for it.

bluekey88

Senior Master
Reaction score
Nah the earliest she could get her 4th is 19, the best she can do is 3rd by the time she is 14 and then she has to transfer her poom rank for dans and wait four years to test for Master.

Ah, I stand corrected. Still have that funny feeling that it just ain't right tho' :p

CF'er

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Dave,
Thank you for correcting me. I knew someone would if I was wrong. I guess I misunderstood what the person was telling me. Not suprising.

I do question how the child's skills compare with that of her father who is of the same rank. They can't compare.

I just looked on the ATA website and they have tournament brackets for ages 1-7 up to 3rd degree. And there are names listed.

Empty Hands

Senior Master
Reaction score
Do the underbelts have to address her as Miss or Sahbumnim (sp)?

I'm an orange belt, and every once in a while I get an 8 year old or two that tries to lord their (junior) green belt over me. I always say that I would be perfectly willing to learn from them, should we spar? That usually fixes that. :)

tkd_jen

Purple Belt
Reaction score
In our school, even the poom belts don't automatically transfer to Dan rank when the student reaches "adult" age. We just had a 15 year old 2nd Poom take his 1st Dan test this past weekend, I kinda like that policy, nothing is just given to you.

jim777

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
She looks like a sweet little girl, and I'm sure she loves her 'karate'. I guess she'd be knocking out the "Rach 3" by Rachmaninoff by now if they had sent her to piano lessons. :(
Seriously, I hope she stays with it and eventually gets up to 9th Dan, what the heck. She may grow to learn just how far from the norm her rise in rank was. Maybe by the time she's 50 she'll have insights we can only imagine.
He teacher though......It does make me a bit angry. I hear enough people stating martial arts are worthless in a real life situations without having to see this kind of silliness. Was she 1st Dan at 4? What's to stop her from being 4th Dan by 10? Obviously years in rank before promotion doesn't hold here. She's a doll, I wish her the best, but this sort of silliness is just bad for the martial arts in general and TKD in particular. In my school it takes a 6 year old white belt a full year minimum to get to 9th kup.

Kosho Gakkusei

Blue Belt
Reaction score
What amazing abilities she must have! I don't even think my 5 year old is ready to start learning martial arts yet. By the time she was his age she was already a Black Belt.

I know a guy who's studied Ishin Ryu for 17 years and is only a Brown Belt. Maybe he should join the ATA.

_Don Flatt

TKDmel

Blue Belt
Reaction score
What I found really interesting is that she takes Korean TKD, uses Chinese nunchucks, and wants to teach Japanese Karate! Wow! I'm sure she is an over achiever, but she is 6 and can't even figure out what she wants to do yet, so how can she possess the complex capabilities it takes to be a 1st dan let alone a 2nd.

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
She's six years old. It just isn't fair to saddle her with this sort of controversy when she still has her baby teeth. The teacher was trying to prove something. He shouldn't have used a little kid to do it. I hope that the pressure and expectations don't warp her or make her hate martial arts when she's old enough to understand and resent it.

It's yet another abuse of the kyu-dan system. Let's go back to teaching certificates. Nobody would seriously consider giving a menkyo kaiden to someone who's still learning her ABCs. Would they?

[I really shouldn't have said that. Now someone is going to do it. Oy gevalt.]

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Remember the only person to blame is the instructor, she has probaly done everything he has asked of her.

TKDmel

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Remember the only person to blame is the instructor, she has probaly done everything he has asked of her.

I totally agree Terry. Its too bad he can't be admonished in some way by his peers or masters in his organization. Publicity like this hurts all martial arts not just TKD. It makes it out to be a joke.

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I totally agree Terry. Its too bad he can't be admonished in some way by his peers or masters in his organization. Publicity like this hurts all martial arts not just TKD.

I agree totally

TKDmel

Blue Belt
Reaction score
She's six years old. It just isn't fair to saddle her with this sort of controversy when she still has her baby teeth. The teacher was trying to prove something. He shouldn't have used a little kid to do it. I hope that the pressure and expectations don't warp her or make her hate martial arts when she's old enough to understand and resent it.

You are right tellner, I hope as well that she can overcome the problems she may encounter later when reality hits.

TKDmel

Blue Belt
Reaction score
In our school, even the poom belts don't automatically transfer to Dan rank when the student reaches "adult" age. We just had a 15 year old 2nd Poom take his 1st Dan test this past weekend, I kinda like that policy, nothing is just given to you.

This seems like a reasonable solution. If they have the perserverance and spirit, they will do well at the dan level test. I like it!

kaizasosei

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
now this really makes me look stupid....
however, i think i could take her!!!
just kidding!
!i think i need to at least pass my next belttest to be ready enough.

talk about setting someone up for a fall..

Nebuchadnezzar

Blue Belt
Reaction score
:mst:This is just not right. With things like this going on, why do people not understand when Taekwondo is not taken seriously?

She may work hard but, to give her not just a black belt but a second degree at 6?

Nebuchadnezzar

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Please excuse my ignorance as TKD is not my art but is there anything along the lines of "youth black belts?" Does that only refer to age of black belts or is there a different belting system for juveniles....for any martial art for that matter.

As you can tell I am a noob to the martial arts but I thought I had heard something along those lines at one time.

Thank you for the education.

That would imply that she could be on the same level as a 12 year old for example. It's just not right.

Latest Discussions