6yr old 2nd degree BB?

TKDmel

Blue Belt
Reaction score
This post, as have others involving child BBs, has, if nothing else, helped us all to evaluate and re-evaluate our own personal positions on the subject, which is a good thing. Regardless of our own opinions, most if not all of us have not used this article to bash or chastise the child because as noted before, a child can only do or perform as the instructor has mandated. As instructors we have to have the wisdom to realize that what we teach is not only an art, but a potentially dangerous weapon, which if in the wrong hands could have devastating affects. We have a responsibility to our students, young or older, to teach in a responsible manner. As teachers, we also have the responsibility to show by actions and deeds what being a BB is about. To me that means from day 1, I make students aware that I will not promote for the sake of money. There are enough schools out there that do. Each step in the ladder must be earned, and that by doing so, I ensure each student will be the very best they can be. I show by my own personal actions that when there is something I percieve as wrong, I take the steps to right it, even if it may be fruitless. I take the time to teach and live by the tenets of TKD. Are there those that circumvent those tenets? Of course there are, but if we hold true to our teachings, there will be less and less of the irresponsible ones in the future. JMHO

phlaw

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Ok, so i did ATA when i was like 7, and we tested every 6 weeks if we knew the stuff or not and we ALWAYS passed to build confidence... now 13 years later i have a set of kids at my church who "earned" their BB in 9 months, I cannot accept ATA as real taekwondo or any real martial arts it seems way to easy to buy rank. I went in the one day with the two little kids from my church cus they wanted to show me how good they where, and the inst who remembered me from when i was 7 offerd me a BB on the spot if i would sign up with the kids, based off my sparring and what he had seen in a 30 min class. ... sorry that says to me come BUY rank from us not earn it or work for it or strive for it. Oh and my BB would have cost me 200 bucks a month with a 6 month contract.​

A 6 year old is cute and fun to watch but is in no way shape or form a bb her parents must have been taken for a ride if they belive she is THAT good​

This is some of the exact situations I am basing my opinion on, and I am not basing this on one school Every time I travel across the country I visit all types of martial arts schools and have stopped in at mant ATA schools from Fargo, ND to Victorville and many in between. I am sure there are good ATA schools and black belts out there, but in over 23 years in the martial arts I have never seen one.

There are bad schools and black belts in my organization also, as there are in any, but it just seems I have personally seen a lot of bad ones in ATA. A friend of mine in a Black Belt in ATA, earned in less than 18 months. In my opinion that is way too fast, no matter how good you are. And he is not very good.

phlaw

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Things I am not fond of:

45 minute classes
6 year old nidans
block teaching
an over-emphasis on self-esteem/"character"-building vs. actual training
XMA/tournament training
Black Belt Club this or Master's Club that
tuition contracts
too many ranks (Master, Chief Master, etc)
gaudy uniforms with multiple patches and striping

I have no problems with people making a living in the martial arts, but gosh some of the trappings of making money grate on my nerves.

About the only thing I disagree with is the 45 minute classes. As long as it's a good 45 minute class it is ok for the kids. Otherwise I completely agree.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
About the only thing I disagree with is the 45 minute classes. As long as it's a good 45 minute class it is ok for the kids.

I like 45 minute classes when they're focused. If you're doing that several times a week plus working out on your own at home (kids probably aren't), it's OK.

Latest Discussions