6 pack ripped abs

SgtBarnes

Green Belt
Reaction score
6 pack abs are the sign you´re really in shape. post up your ab workouts.

mine is simple but effective. Crunches 3x max reps / Reverse crunches 3xmax reps

The function of the Multi muscle rectus abdominis is to roll the "abs" .. chest to pelvis or pelvis to chest

OP
SgtBarnes

SgtBarnes

Green Belt
Reaction score
of course diet is king... if you drink beer every night and eat fries ... no 6 pack !
Nothing worse that a master standing in front of a class with an XXL beer belly !

ansatsuman

White Belt
Reaction score
While it looks great, a six pack really just shows that you have a low bodyfat percentage. Don't get me wrong, if your genetics are right, you can have abs at higher body fat percentages (15%+), but in many cases, you have to get closer to 10% bodyfat to achieve a six pack.

There's nothing wrong with having or wanting a six pack, as long as you aren't starving yourself or wrecking yourself mentally to keep it. But I know of no use for visible abs.

Training abs is great though, gotta have a strong core! :D

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
6 pack abs are the sign you´re really in shape. post up your ab workouts.

mine is simple but effective. Crunches 3x max reps / Reverse crunches 3xmax reps

The function of the Multi muscle rectus abdominis is to roll the "abs" .. chest to pelvis or pelvis to chest
Nope. Visible abs is a sign that you have good abs and low body fat. There are plenty of high-level athletes who are more fit than any of us on here, who do not have a visible, chiseled 6-pack.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
of course diet is king... if you drink beer every night and eat fries ... no 6 pack !
Nothing worse that a master standing in front of a class with an XXL beer belly !
You're very hung up on superficial image. The best teachers I've trained with were past their prime, and most had dad bods. One, in his 60's, still regularly boxed with the young guys from time to time, but had a visible paunch. Thing is, his punches didn't seem to care.

OP
SgtBarnes

SgtBarnes

Green Belt
Reaction score
Nope. Visible abs is a sign that you have good abs and low body fat. There are plenty of high-level athletes who are more fit than any of us on here, who do not have a visible, chiseled 6-pack.
yes ok you can have a flat stomach with no visible abs and be in a healthy BMI but every healthy person should have a hard mid section with contours.

OP
SgtBarnes

SgtBarnes

Green Belt
Reaction score
You're very hung up on superficial image. The best teachers I've trained with were past their prime, and most had dad bods. One, in his 60's, still regularly boxed with the young guys from time to time, but had a visible paunch. Thing is, his punches didn't seem to care.
Jerry it´s ok to have a "Dad" bod ..so relax but just not optimal

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yes ok you can have a flat stomach with no visible abs and be in a healthy BMI but every healthy person should have a hard mid section with contours.
The core should be strong. If the top layer is subcutaneous fat, that's not much of an issue in most cases. (That subcutaneous fat, by the way, is the hardest to get off and keep off.)

OP
SgtBarnes

SgtBarnes

Green Belt
Reaction score
The core should be strong. If the top layer is subcutaneous fat, that's not much of an issue in most cases. (That subcutaneous fat, by the way, is the hardest to get off and keep off.)
getting back to the thread title what is your ab workout jerry?

OP
SgtBarnes

SgtBarnes

Green Belt
Reaction score
Gerry please do not troll on my thread. read your own rules.
what is your ab workout?

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
gerry ... please don´t get paranoid on me
Much better. I appreciate the consideration. I don't mind folks misspelling my name, but it seems a bit rude when the correct spelling is immediately at hand. "Jerry" has never been my name.

OP
SgtBarnes

SgtBarnes

Green Belt
Reaction score
Much better. I appreciate the consideration. I don't mind folks misspelling my name, but it seems a bit rude when the correct spelling is immediately at hand. "Jerry" has never been my name.
well i get called a couple of abbreviated names which can be used for my name. actually ironic considering you wrote on a post
You're very hung up on superficial image.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gerry please do not troll on my thread. read your own rules.
what is your ab workout?
If you think it's trolling, report it. I think, however, you misunderstand the difference between trolling and not liking someone's approach and calling them out on it.

As for my workout, I don't have a set one, and really never have (even back when I had that chiseled 6-pack). When I have a program, I build a large part of my workout around what I do in classs. (Last place I taught at went out of business during the pandemic, so no program until things get safer.) I also have an approach I take when I can go to the gym (my closest gym also went out of business during the pandemic, so I'm yet to get back to that). But I like variety, so I tend to mix it up. I don't have a good routine right now for exercise, but I get in a mix of exercises throughout the week. Very little that is solely for the core, but much that includes it: push-ups and other exercises with unstable anchor, "judo" pushups (like doing a pushup into and out of a yoga "down dog"), adaptations in kata that put more stress on the core, etc.

OP
SgtBarnes

SgtBarnes

Green Belt
Reaction score
There's nothing "superficial image" about using the wrong name for someone repeatedly.
Gerry how do you train your Abs or core? do you train them directly or is your martial arts training sufficient?

Latest Discussions