6 pack ripped abs

OP
SgtBarnes

SgtBarnes

Green Belt
Reaction score
If you think it's trolling, report it. I think, however, you misunderstand the difference between trolling and not liking someone's approach and calling them out on it.

As for my workout, I don't have a set one, and really never have (even back when I had that chiseled 6-pack). When I have a program, I build a large part of my workout around what I do in classs. (Last place I taught at went out of business during the pandemic, so no program until things get safer.) I also have an approach I take when I can go to the gym (my closest gym also went out of business during the pandemic, so I'm yet to get back to that). But I like variety, so I tend to mix it up. I don't have a good routine right now for exercise, but I get in a mix of exercises throughout the week. Very little that is solely for the core, but much that includes it: push-ups and other exercises with unstable anchor, "judo" pushups (like doing a pushup into and out of a yoga "down dog"), adaptations in kata that put more stress on the core, etc.
i don´t report it. i am not childish Gerry. so your workouts are more core isometrics

OP
SgtBarnes

SgtBarnes

Green Belt
Reaction score
I was actually expecting people to talk about the Transversus abdominis which plays an important role . It´s a deep muscle.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
No specific "program" for me-if I start getting too repetitive I end up getting bored after a point, so I have to change it up. I do have a deck of cards with different techniques written on them, that I've been using recently. When I'm bored, I'll pull up a few cards from it and do whatever it says.

My favorite ab workouts are probably:
- A situp set that I do where I do a situp halfway up, throw a few punches while holding 45', situp to the right while putting up a guard, half-situp with punches again, then left with guard and repeat.
- Leg lifts with another person where they throw your legs in a random direction and you have to keep them from hitting the floor and bring them back up to the other person.
- If I'm alone, circle leg lifts.

IMO, the main point of a core is to be able to balance and hold/twist your body in different ways, so if you don't do stuff that includes your obliques it's kind of a waste of effort.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i don´t report it. i am not childish Gerry. so your workouts are more core isometrics
Currently, yes that's most of my core work, aside from some of the exotic push-ups that recruit abdominals directly. When I get to the gym, I like to do some things to target the core directly. And in classes there are drills (like shrimping) that call on the core really nicely.

OP
SgtBarnes

SgtBarnes

Green Belt
Reaction score
Currently, yes that's most of my core work, aside from some of the exotic push-ups that recruit abdominals directly. When I get to the gym, I like to do some things to target the core directly. And in classes there are drills (like shrimping) that call on the core really nicely.
thats good

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I'm on my way out the door for a pre-op meeting with the Doc. But later on I'll tell you guys a way to work your Transverse Abdominus while you're out and about during your regular day activities.

And nobody will know you're doing any kind of exercise.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
While it looks great, a six pack really just shows that you have a low bodyfat percentage. Don't get me wrong, if your genetics are right, you can have abs at higher body fat percentages (15%+), but in many cases, you have to get closer to 10% bodyfat to achieve a six pack.

There's nothing wrong with having or wanting a six pack, as long as you aren't starving yourself or wrecking yourself mentally to keep it. But I know of no use for visible abs.

Training abs is great though, gotta have a strong core! :D
Genetics are definitely a part of it. I'm not saying I could never get 6 pack abs, but when I was wrestling at 148 lbs and had a 24 in waist I didn't have a 6 pack. I don't know what my body fat % was, but I'm sure it was well under 10%. I was a lot stronger than pretty much anyone else I wrestled against in high school, but they all had six pack abs.

I put on a lot of lean muscle in the military, bulking up to about 190 at my biggest and still didn't have a 6 pack. I was competing in BJJ at 184 lbs and didn't have a 6 pack.

ansatsuman

White Belt
Reaction score
I'm on my way out the door for a pre-op meeting with the Doc. But later on I'll tell you guys a way to work your Transverse Abdominus while you're out and about during your regular day activities.

And nobody will know you're doing any kind of exercise.
The good ol' Stomach Vacuums. They are absolutley a solid workout to do, and you can do them anywhere. Just also be careful not to pull a muscle or excacerbate a hernia if you have one.

For anyone curious, they help keep the gut and pelvic floor stable, and bodybuilders use them to help keep the waist narrow. An extreme example of it is when a bodybuilder hits a vacuum pose.

OP
SgtBarnes

SgtBarnes

Green Belt
Reaction score
trained abs with my back + biceps workout. hanging knee raises 3 x max reps.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think if you are claiming a six pack we need a photo or it didn't happen. 😁
1647020958985.png

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I think if you are claiming a six pack we need a photo or it didn't happen. 😁

Not me. But we do have our resident six pack guy training with us.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220309-075935_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20220309-075935_Samsung Internet.jpg
    167.2 KB · Views: 42