DeLamar.J

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
#1. Technique

#2. Strategy

#3. Speed

#4. Conditioning

#5. Strength

These are the 5 things I think are the most important in a fight, and I wanted to share this with all of you and get your opinions on this, and the order they are numbered.
#1.I feel that technique should be #1 because without good techniques to use in your strategy, what good is strategy? So that is my only reason for putting strategy at #2.

#2.Once you have mastered your technique, (wich is almost impossible IMO because a martial artist is always inproving) a great strategy combined with great technique can always prevail no matter what the speed stregth and conditioning of your opponent is IMO. A good example is Ali vs Forman, although Ali had most all the other toolto, Forman had extreme strength, good speed, and good conditioning, Ali's strategy and technique one him the day.

#3.I feel speed is #3 because with good technique, strategy, and the speed to land your attacks, you can beat someone with extreme strength and conditioning. But technique and strategy must come first or your style will have extreme weakness.

#4. Conditioning, being able to take a good blow is very important in a fight because if you fight you are going to get hit 90% of the time. And if your body is not properly conditioned, your in trouble. Your body also must be conditioned to attack, I have hurt my hands a few times punching someones hard noggin. You also must have good endurance if you need to fight a long fight. Conditioning is very important but I feel it should be at #4, because having all the tools of #'s 1 through 3 will make you victourious over someone with 4 and 5.

#5. Last but certainly not least, strength. How hard you can hit is very important, but is below the others because everyone has the power to do damage with proper technique and speed. While being able to pick up your opponent and slam them on there head is certainly a great way to end the fight, a big strong guy is not going to be able to grab a little person with cood Technique, Strategy, and Speed. So strength is at #5 IMO. Although alot of people disagree strongly. Strength is very inferior to technique, strategy and speed, but alot of people dont understand this, most who are martial artists do.

So what do you all think about this? Are they numbered correctly in your opinion? Are there more factors that should be added to the list?

OP
DeLamar.J

DeLamar.J

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Scout_379 said:
what about awareness?
Are you talking about awareness before the fight in order to aviod the fight, or being aware durring the fight? If it is awareness durring the fight I think that falls under strategy.

Zepp

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The woods of Marin County, California, USA
Scout_379 said:
what about awareness?

Yes. I would have put awareness at #1. And I tend to equate technique as being equally important as speed (but maybe that's just because I enjoy being faster than most of my classmates :) ). I think I agree with the rest being in order.

Are you talking abou awarenes before the fight in order to aviod the fight, or being aware durring the fight?
Both. Awareness is essential to avoiding getting hit or grabbed, as well as landing your attacks. It's not enough to just be aware of your opponent or your surroundings, but also of your own body.

I find that's the biggest issue when teaching people who are completely new to martial arts. They don't yet understand what it is they're doing when they try to move or stand a certain way.

OP
DeLamar.J

DeLamar.J

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Zepp said:
Yes. I would have put awareness at #1. And I tend to equate technique as being equally important as speed (but maybe that's just because I enjoy being faster than most of my classmates :) ). I think I agree with the rest being in order.
But if you have all the speed but no technique, what good is your speed?

Zepp

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The woods of Marin County, California, USA
DeLamar.J said:
I'm lost, please explain.

It was an attempt at humor. You know, Nike shoes, Nike-do, running away... :uhyeah:

Ok, maybe not so funny.

I think you're right that speed is useless without technique. That's why I said that I consider them equally important. Technique isn't usually much help if you can't pull it off fast enough on a resisting opponent.

But maybe I'm wrong. Maybe there are techniques that can work irrespective of how fast you do them or how fast your opponent is moving?

OP
DeLamar.J

DeLamar.J

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Zepp said:
It was an attempt at humor. You know, Nike shoes, Nike-do, running away... :uhyeah:

Ok, maybe not so funny.

I think you're right that speed is useless without technique. That's why I said that I consider them equally important. Technique isn't usually much help if you can't pull it off fast enough on a resisting opponent.

But maybe I'm wrong. Maybe there are techniques that can work irrespective of how fast you do them or how fast your opponent is moving?
Ok I get it lol, hey it went over my headlol.
The reason I feel speed should be very much under technique is because most everyone has a little speed, that comes naturally. Extreme speed comes from training. And using the natural speed a person has with great technique will make them effective, then they should work on attaining trained speed. And good technique will also bring some speed without the person even realizing it. Just knowing that the quickest way to get from point a to point b is a straight line will give the allusion of more speed when your not really faster, you just have a better idea of technique when you realize that concept.

K

Kazudevil

I got one to ad to the list, senseless aggresion, kill maim and annihilate and or pure unadulterated psycosis. The instinct to destroy your opposition, by hurting yourself to hurt them. An example: letting yourself get hit cause you like it...cause you wont be satisfied otherwise or you just dont give a ****!

:tantrum: :tantrum: :tantrum:

S

Scout_379

Kazudevil said:
I got one to ad to the list, senseless aggresion, kill maim and annihilate and or pure unadulterated psycosis. The instinct to destroy your opposition, by hurting yourself to hurt them. An example: letting yourself get hit cause you like it...cause you wont be satisfied otherwise or you just dont give a ****!

:tantrum: :tantrum: :tantrum:
senseless aggression often causes more harm than good. a zealous beserker-like attitude can give a lil extra boost as far as confidence and speed go, but you lose in technique and overall control of the situation.

the calm, collected, and calculative fighter is the one to be feared.
icon6.gif

B

Baytor

No particular order:

Speed - no explanation necessary.
Aggression - being absolutely commited to your course of action.
Surprise - utilizing terrain, dirty tricks, strategy, ect.

I believe that the factors in a fight have to vary depending on you and your opponent at the time. These factors I believe must also include mindset, wellness, and disclipine at the time of the fight.
For example:
A bigger stronger opponent may require you to place speed higher in the factors than strength or technique.

A smaller faster opponent may require you to place technique or strength higher than speed.

OP
DeLamar.J

DeLamar.J

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Scout_379 said:
senseless aggression often causes more harm than good. a zealous beserker-like attitude can give a lil extra boost as far as confidence and speed go, but you lose in technique and overall control of the situation.

the calm, collected, and calculative fighter is the one to be feared.
icon6.gif

True, calm and calculate is good, but I know Kazudevil personally, and he has been in fights more times than I can count. It works for him. I never seen him loose. Even though he prefurs to block punches with his face, he is tough, he has extreme #4, and I bet some of you would wear your selves out before you knocked him out. Then he would get you while your tired.
:mp5: :idunno:
:whip:

S

Scout_379

DeLamar.J said:
True, calm and calculate is good, but I know Kazudevil personally, and he has been in fights more times than I can count. It works for him. I never seen him loose. Even though he prefurs to block punches with his face, he is tough, he has extreme #4, and I bet some of you would wear your selves out before you knocked him out. Then he would get you while your tired.
:mp5: :idunno:
:whip:
heh heh what ever works, works.:asian:

OP
DeLamar.J

DeLamar.J

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
While having the extreme in #4 is powerful. I going to bust out some of my favorite philosophical stuff to explain some things about why its not best to go to one extreme.

:yinyang:
"In the Yin/Yang symbol there is a white spot on the black part and, a black spot on the white one. This is to illustrate the balance in life, for nothing can survive long by going to either extreme, be it pure Yin (gentleness) or pure Yang (firmness). Notice that the stiffest tree is most easily cracked, while the bamboo or willow survive by bending with the wind."
In reality, things are "whole" and cannot be separated into two parts. When I say the heat makes me perspire, the heat and perspiring are just one process as they are coexistent and the one could not exist but for the other. If a person riding a bicycle wishes to go somewhere, then he cannot pump on both petals at the same time (Yang) or not pump on them at all (Yin). In order to go forward, he has to pump on one pedal and release the other. So the movement of going forward requires this "oneness" of pumping (Yang) and releasing (Yin). Pumping is the result of releasing and vice versa, each being the cause and result of the other. Things do have their complementaries, and complementaries coexist. Instead of mutually exclusive, they are mutually dependent and are a function of the other.
:yinyang:

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
My list would be

1. Strategy (Your brain's a powerful tool. Using it is a good thing.)

2. Application (Got a really powerful punch? Great. Can you hit anyone with it?)

3. Conditioning (Sucking wind after a few punches, or crumpling from the first strong blow you take renders technique useless. Not sure how one achieves solid technique while manging to avoid being in shape anyway)

4. Technique (With the qualifier that strategy and application need technique, but it's strategy and application that makes technique useful.)

5. Intensity (Think it's a better fit than agression for the same general concept.)

hardheadjarhead

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'd modify "strength" to reflect psychological as well as physical strength. The two, in concert, allow a person to handle pain and fear.

This isn't something to take for granted. We've all seen physically strong people deflate and get psyched out in competition/fights.

Regards,

Steve

Latest Discussions