5 blocks - warning vague question ahead

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
or at least I think it was called 5 blocks.

I was shown a drill a couple weeks ago that was a series of, I think, 5 blocks. I am trying to remember it and I went to YouTube to look for a video. Any ideas where I can find some videos of two person block training?

If I feel better I will go tomorrow and ask, but if I can work on it tonight I will be a little ahead of the game.

Argus

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
What was the drill like?

You'll commonly see a drill done with four attacks coming from the outside; high left, high right, low left, and low right, in response to which you use tan-da and gan-da, usually with some shifting.

Or were you working with attacks on the centerline?

Vajramusti

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
or at least I think it was called 5 blocks.

I was shown a drill a couple weeks ago that was a series of, I think, 5 blocks. I am trying to remember it and I went to YouTube to look for a video. Any ideas where I can find some videos of two person block training?

If I feel better I will go tomorrow and ask, but if I can work on it tonight I will be a little ahead of the game.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Lots of things are not on you tube. Learning blocking enhances confidence for attacks-then you don't always have to block.
Visualize the four hand gates- created by the intersection of a vertical ine with two horizontal lines.

1. block low with thumb side of bridge
2. upto tan sao
3. down with gaan
4. up and forward with jam
5. wu

Later there are coordinating motions for the other hand.

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Lots of things are not on you tube. Learning blocking enhances confidence for attacks-then you don't always have to block.
Visualize the four hand gates- created by the intersection of a vertical ine with two horizontal lines.

1. block low with thumb side of bridge
2. upto tan sao
3. down with gaan
4. up and forward with jam
5. wu

Later there are coordinating motions for the other hand.

I do believe that is it.

Any videos of that out there I can watch so I don't feel like complete idiot tomorrow morning?

I have not been able to work on any of it for a week due to the surgery and I only did to for a couple of days before the surgery so I pretty much for got it

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
What was the drill like?

You'll commonly see a drill done with four attacks coming from the outside; high left, high right, low left, and low right, in response to which you use tan-da and gan-da, usually with some shifting.

Or were you working with attacks on the centerline?

Maybe, not sure, but it is all centerline, but if you know of a video of it I could look at it and tell.

I think it might be what Vajamusti just posted.

We worked on so much and surprisingly I remember most of that but this was the last thing we worked on and I remember only one block from this drill

Argus

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Does your partner just continuously punch down the center, ala the Pak-sau drill?

A common thing to practice is just staying on the center with one (or sometimes two) hands, responding either freely with whatever comes out, or following some sequence. So, you might do something like pak, tan, jut, gan, bong as the punches come, and then combine that with counter punches in the other hand.

I think every school has its own sequence for these little drills, and to be honest, I don't usually try to remember the sequences - just the general skill or concept they're trying to teach.

I'd say just practice the basic hand positions from your form, and practice switching between them.

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Actually it is the guy who is going to be (and briefly was) my sifu. I had a impromptu 1.5 hour lesson 2 weeks ago and I said I would be back after surgery, the first week of October, but I have been cleared to go so I'm going back tomorrow if possible

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
:disgust: Well my wife shot this plan down.... and for once I have to say she is right and I am being overzealous (which happens with me and MA). I have a sinus infection and the eye MD that did my surgery told me I was good to go with regular exercise and normal activity...but... when I foolishly asked about martial arts he said..... not before October :disgust:

So I have another week to try and figure this out..

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
:disgust: Well my wife shot this plan down.... and for once I have to say she is right and I am being overzealous (which happens with me and MA). I have a sinus infection and the eye MD that did my surgery told me I was good to go with regular exercise and normal activity...but... when I foolishly asked about martial arts he said..... not before October :disgust:

So I have another week to try and figure this out..

Xue, sorry I can't give advice on the specific drill you described. I've seen many things like it, but it's not part of our curriculum. Regardless, are you training privately? If so, perhaps you can contact your teacher by phone or email to get clarification. My current instructor encourages me to do that since it's often worse to train incorrectly than not at all. Now this is possible since my current instructor is American and was actually my si-dai under my old Chinese sifu, so we are close friends and communication is easy.

In a more traditional sifu - todai relationship, especially with a traditional Chinese instructor, this kind of communication might not be acceptable. But if you train in a group situation, you may be able to cultivate a good relationship with your dai-hing, or fellow students. Then you can always contact a knowledgeable si-hing for clarification.

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Xue, sorry I can't give advice on the specific drill you described. I've seen many things like it, but it's not part of our curriculum. Regardless, are you training privately? If so, perhaps you can contact your teacher by phone or email to get clarification. My current instructor encourages me to do that since it's often worse to train incorrectly than not at all. Now this is possible since my current instructor is American and was actually my si-dai under my old Chinese sifu, so we are close friends and communication is easy.

In a more traditional sifu - todai relationship, especially with a traditional Chinese instructor, this kind of communication might not be acceptable. But if you train in a group situation, you may be able to cultivate a good relationship with your dai-hing, or fellow students. Then you can always contact a knowledgeable si-hing for clarification.

Actually it is not privately and the teacher is an American but I can call him, however I doubt I could figure it out again without a demo or seeing video, but I am in no rush for this, I can ask next week. I was just looking for a video to check so I could work on it before I went. I have some other things to work on so its all good

Latest Discussions