40 years old taking his first courses and having bits of difficulties

OP
H

Hanks

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Rheumatologist's current diagnosis after looking at the MRI: arthritis on the right transverse process of my L4 vertebra. Pretty clear on the images, fits very well the symptoms.
No magic solution here. Physiotherapy, physical exercises, moving a lot (my current work is 100% on a computer…), and we'll try an infiltration. She added (not her words but mine): "if you're very lucky, you go for a long time without pain, and we can make new infiltrations from time to time, and if you're not, like, less than several months pain-free, we won't go this way".
But basically, I'm a bit screwed on this; arthritis only goes forward, even if we can relieve the pain in some ways (and, of course, no possible surgery).

I first lost my rock climbing passion, which led me to years of depression. I finally found the strength to practice a new sport I absolutely love, to which I dedicated a LOT of energy, both physically and mentally, in which I've improved a lot (hey more than some of the youngsters from the club), in which I want to volunteer because everyone is amazing in the club, and I finally got another pathology that will probably make me stop practicing taekwondo.

I don't want to experience again what I experienced when I had to stop climbing. It was way too much suffering. I'm immensely sad and frustrated that it's likely to happen again.

HighKick

Black Belt
Reaction score
All highly active people get there at some point. It really can't be a determining factor in the decision-making process as far as starting a new physical activity. This is within reason of course. For example, you may not be able to rock climb anymore, but you can logically determine what you can and cannot do. This is different for everyone.
You have beginners block, thinking you have to achieve at a high level from the start. Let go of this and just go have fun learning something new.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
and I finally got another pathology that will probably make me stop practicing taekwondo.
Even if this is true. It may only stop taekwondo. There are a lot of martial arts out there to choose from. There may be one that will allow you to continue martial arts unless you just have a passion for taekwondo.

my current work is 100% on a computer
This is my problem as well and it's killing my health. I'm currently making adjustments to deal with this.

OP
H

Hanks

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Got a back infiltration at the end of June. The club was closed from July to September.
Pain decreased a lot, and I kept training with a friend from the club during summer except for one month when I kept doing regular physical exercise at home.

The infiltration effect started to fade out at the end of August, but the pain wasn't as high as before. But I wasn't practicing as much as in the club. Still doing exercises at home (core strengthening, dynamic planks, a little bit of flexibility, a few kicks)

I started coming back to the club this week. I did two consecutive trainings; very oddly, there was no pain. Neither during the training, neither after, whereas there was pain pretty much all the previous days and month, when I was doing my regular exercise at home (which I still do). Very weird, I don't understand at all. But I can't imagine it won't come back at some point in the short future.

The 2nd training was a heavy cardio workout because the club created a schedule to prepare students who will do competitions. I intend to be part of this training to do a bit of sparring, even if I don't compete myself.
During the training, I was incredibly proud to be among the most resilient during the cardio exercises, outperforming many of the 15-20 years old 😲 How's so?!
I also saw my progress thanks to my summer training and since the beginning. When warmed up, I can land high kicks at a height of almost 1m70 max with my most flexible leg, and almost 1m80 with an axe kick (not that I could land them in a fight…).

Very happy to start again, even if I'll move to another city soon, which saddens me since I'll leave this awesome club and the awesome students. I hope I'll find another taekwondo club.

But above all, I hope my pain will remain silent or low enough to continue practicing. I'd be incredibly sad if I have to stop Taekwondo, as I probably said multiple times, and if I do, maybe I'll be strong enough to keep only the good memories and don't grieve as much as I did with rock climbing.

Also, I'm happy that I listened to the good advice here 🙂

unless you just have a passion for taekwondo.
I'm not into martial arts. It just happened that I fell in love with Taekwondo. I don't see any appeal in other martial arts or fighting sports at this time.

I'm currently making adjustments to deal with this.
Can you share the adjustments you're making?
As for me, I move more than usual. Keep changing how I sit. Stand up more often. Go out everyday cycling and walking at noon or in the evening.
I think of making my company buy me a standing desk and a better chair.

I used a gym balloon as a chair for a while, it was kind of fun (I did a lot of mobility exercises when using it as a chair), but I didn't see any benefit compared to my regular chair. I feel that benefits mostly come from being in motion more than usual, and doing regular exercises at home. My physical therapist told me, basically, "how you sit isn't really the issue. The issue is when you sit in the same position for a long duration. If you have to sit for a long time, change your position from time to time at the minimum, it will greatly improve things".

Hanshi

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Needless to say but you are just one of many, yes many, middle age adults in the martial arts. I will mention that one of my very finest students was a woman who started in her mid 50s, had iron determination and was always there for class.

Warm up before you stretch and go easy on stretching. It's too easy to get a "small" injury that becomes scar tissue and permanently hinders flexibility. It can take years (better slow and steady) to perhaps to develop the flexibility that will satisfies you. In my own case I was born with a back problem that threatened to put me in a wheelchair at your age. I also was very low on the flexibility scale but always doggedly carried on. It actually took me decades to get where I could do full splits and put my chest on the mat. The important thing is to not give up.

OP
H

Hanks

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Thanks for your reply 🙂
The pain came back after being free of it for almost 2 weeks. I've moved to another city and didn't go to a new taekwondo club yet. I'm not doing any sport besides a little bit of exercise at home, but, alas, the pain is here. I'm not sure of what I'm going to do.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Can you share the adjustments you're making?
As for me, I move more than usual. Keep changing how I sit. Stand up more often. Go out everyday cycling and walking at noon or in the evening.
I think of making my company buy me a standing desk and a better chair.

I used a gym balloon as a chair for a while, it was kind of fun (I did a lot of mobility exercises when using it as a chair), but I didn't see any benefit compared to my regular chair. I feel that benefits mostly come from being in motion more than usual, and doing regular exercises at home. My physical therapist told me, basically, "how you sit isn't really the issue. The issue is when you sit in the same position for a long duration. If you have to sit for a long time, change your position from time to time at the minimum, it will greatly improve things".
Sorry for the late reply. This one got away from me.

The adjustments I'm making are similar to yours. I try to build strength building into everyday activities. When I walk, I try to stretch my torso upward and then support that stretch with my core. So I stand tall and then engage my core to maintain it. I walk the stairs instead of just stretching. I used to stand up at my desk once upon a time, but I sit down now. But I stand often and do pushups. It doesn't have to be a lot, just a couple to relieve that vertical compression. I'll also be visiting my doctor more often to make sure my alignment isn't off. He realigned my posture so certain things function better so now I'm trying to maintain that alignment.

I toss a medicine ball and I hold it high. (8lb - 10lb ) I think I recorded some of those exercises. I do alot of reaching upward. and stretching upward

OP
H

Hanks

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I've decided to give up Taekwondo as I can't get rid of the back pain.

I'm infinitely sad, frustrated and angry. Thanks for your support over the last year.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score

I'm infinitely sad, frustrated and angry. Thanks for your support over the last year.
You should go see a doctor who can take a look at your body alignment to see if that is the reason you are having back pain. There are so many things that could be causing it. I recommend looking for someone who understands how the body moves and can manually fix that. Not all doctors know how to do this. I have 2 doctors. One for when I get sick and another for the muscular and physical body type things.

HighKick

Black Belt
Reaction score

I highly recommend you not give up but slack up. Stopping exercise is the worst thing you can do. Figure out what movement(s) are causing you pain and back off or completely stop them. Of course, get checked out and look into massage or chiropractic therapy.
I wish you all the best.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I highly recommend you not give up but slack up. Stopping exercise is the worst thing you can do. Figure out what movement(s) are causing you pain and back off or completely stop them. Of course, get checked out and look into massage or chiropractic therapy.
I wish you all the best.
lol yeah don't go to a doctor who just takes an x-ray and says "hmmmm. I don't see anything wrong." I like my internal medicine doctor, and the one at the emergency client. Excellent for when I'm sick. But they don't know squat about muscle mechanics. The one guy that fixed me up did it without an x-ray lol. One visit and some evil bone water was all it took lol.

That reminds me the last time I went there I got stuck with some acupuncture needles. Kind of wish I didn't remember that part just now lol.

BaehrTKD

Green Belt
Reaction score

I think Tai-Chi might be a good alternative.

My Dad got back into martial arts when I started doing Taekwondo again as an adult, but he was at an age where his body couldn't do any of that stuff any more, so he went into Tai-Chi, and had been doing that the past 20 years until he passed away this October.

Latest Discussions