4-6 year olds

OP
C

clapping_tiger

Our classes for 4-6yrs is only 30 min. Any longer than that and you seem to lose their focus a little bit. Most of the stuff mentioned we do also. Like make it fun for them, play games at the end of class(these still have a martial arts theme to them), and the program is more watered down with more of an emphisis on listening skills, motor skills, and social skills. Our belt ranks are a little different. It starts out white, then High White (white with a black stripe), yellow, high yellow and then orange belt. The goal is that if they start the program when they are 4, by the time they turn 7 they should be at the regular "youth Class" level orange belt and can then just shift over with the same rank.

One thing I have learned to keep the kids attention, is I get down on their level and talk to them, and sometimes work with them down on one knee. They seemed to respond better to this than me standing over them and telling them what to do. They get that all day from adults, They seem to respond to it.

OP
T

twinkletoes

Anyone who teaches (or is thinking about teaching) kids should pick up the "Play as the Way" tapes from One Dragon Martial Arts. I don't care what style you do--these tapes are the best thing you will ever invest in.

The tapes are all games (drills) and activities (more drills) that build attributes like balance, coordination, timing, etc. etc. but they do it while teaching the skills associated with the arts. It's not like playing duck duck goose or anything. You have to see these tapes to believe it. They are awesome!!!

In fact, if you teach adults, use this method too. They respond to this much better than lecture format. Everyone learns faster through play.

~TT