A situation

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I run a TKD class for my city's community center. There is also a karate program there as well. The karate instructor & I are on good terms & friendly competitors (yes, that's a change from 6 months ago).

One of my 7 year old students who's been with me since March showed up in the begining karate program for class. So, she's signed up for both TKD & Karate. She's a little girl who wants to be active (rather than a teen or adult who wants to pursue 2 arts). While the Karate instructor & I are on good terms, we teach our separate arts & have different philosophies on what the arts are for.

I'm curious as to how the instructors on the board would handle this situation. After a while, I'll tell you how I handled this & why.

bushidomartialarts

Senior Master
Reaction score
As long as I trust the other instructor, I'd have no problem with it. There's no reason to be threatened by the other practicioners in the area, and cross-training is generally a good thing.

Now, if it didn't trust the other instructor, I'd find a way to quash the exploration -- assuming the poor quality of the other instructor couldn't be relied on to do so on its own naturally.

Mark L

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I'd speak with the parents, kind of along these lines:
Studying 2 arts at once is a challenge for anyone, let alone a 7 year old. I'd recommend that you chose a single art and stick with it for a few years, at least until they reach an intermediate level. Karate is a sound art, and xxx is a good instructor. I also think my art is sound and that I'm a good teacher. So I'll support your decision, as long as it's in the best interest of the child.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
Its a free country, and I'd be confident enough in my own product that I suspect the issue would resolve itself.

Lamont

OP
IcemanSK

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My concern for my young student wasn't that she would like Karate or the other instructor better. My concern was that, sometimes, good TKD is bad Karate & vice versa & we (the 2 instructors) would be confusing her without meaning to simply because we do things differently.

I spoke to the mom & she said she simply wanted her daughter to be active this summer (& quite frankly, the violin class was full) so she put "Susie" in Karate, also. Susie loves TKD & wants to continue with it after the summer

I spoke to the Karate instructor & he agreed that since she was testing for yellow belt with me next month that he wouldn't "undo" her technique & encourage her as best he could as she trains in both arts. I agreed to encourage her the same way. Sensei & I also agreed that because she is only 7 years old, she's in it cuz it's fun; not cuz she wants to pursue the depths of both arts.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Studying 2 arts at once is a challenge for anyone, let alone a 7 year old. I'd recommend that you chose a single art and stick with it for a few years, at least until they reach an intermediate level. Karate is a sound art, and xxx is a good instructor. I also think my art is sound and that I'm a good teacher. So I'll support your decision, as long as it's in the best interest of the child.

That is my belief as well for what its worth..

Skip Cooper

Purple Belt
Reaction score
My concern for my young student wasn't that she would like Karate or the other instructor better. My concern was that, sometimes, good TKD is bad Karate & vice versa & we (the 2 instructors) would be confusing her without meaning to simply because we do things differently.

I spoke to the mom & she said she simply wanted her daughter to be active this summer (& quite frankly, the violin class was full) so she put "Susie" in Karate, also. Susie loves TKD & wants to continue with it after the summer

I spoke to the Karate instructor & he agreed that since she was testing for yellow belt with me next month that he wouldn't "undo" her technique & encourage her as best he could as she trains in both arts. I agreed to encourage her the same way. Sensei & I also agreed that because she is only 7 years old, she's in it cuz it's fun; not cuz she wants to pursue the depths of both arts.

Kudos to both you and the karate instructor for seeing the big picture and realizing that the child's development is more important here. I don't think at this time, it will hurt her advancement to train in more than one art.

I always encourage my children to try everything out that is offered to them (be martial arts or any other activity). When they get older, they will decide which activity that they want to persue more deeply. And of course, I will be right behind them cheering them on like any proud dad would do.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I deal with adults almost exclusively so I handle this very differantly. I actively encourage students to train with other instructors whether at seminars or at another Training Hall. This way they can experience different teaching perspectives and hopefully appreciate even more what we do in IRT. Plus if they learn something then hopefully they will share.
icon10.gif
This has always worked out great for me.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Iceman if there does not exsisit a poblem why start one. Let it be and train her when she is there and give her your knowledge and one day she will be old enough to decide what is right for her. Remember pressure that comes from an instructor will eventually push her into the other program but silence speaks volume to your Art and to yourself as well.

OP
IcemanSK

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

That was my original thought, honestly. But when I spoke to the mom, I realized the motivation was just to keep her busy (rather than deep study of 2 MA's). The other instructor & I are on the same page, also. It will work out well.

OP
IcemanSK

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Iceman if there does not exsisit a poblem why start one. Let it be and train her when she is there and give her your knowledge and one day she will be old enough to decide what is right for her. Remember pressure that comes from an instructor will eventually push her into the other program but silence speaks volume to your Art and to yourself as well.

Thanks for your kind words, sir.:asian:

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
That was my original thought, honestly. But when I spoke to the mom, I realized the motivation was just to keep her busy (rather than deep study of 2 MA's). The other instructor & I are on the same page, also. It will work out well.

It's great that you and the karate instructor can work together on this - and given the rate of childhood obesity in this country, it's also great that this child is so active. Under the circumstances, I think you've come to the best solution for this student - kudos to all involved!

OP
IcemanSK

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It's great that you and the karate instructor can work together on this - and given the rate of childhood obesity in this country, it's also great that this child is so active. Under the circumstances, I think you've come to the best solution for this student - kudos to all involved!

Thank you, ma'am:asian:

jdinca

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

I agree. The parents can do what they want but I see this as potentially detrimental, especially for a 7 year old.

jdinca

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

Sounds like the two of you handled the situation in a true martial arts fashion.

Christina05

Green Belt
Reaction score
I agree. Two arts is never easy, At seven I could not even imagine having to remember steps yet alone the philosophy for both arts.

Latest Discussions